BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Mine first warning appeared on a freezing morning with 17 000km on the clock.

After driving a while and a restart, the warning disappeared.

Again on a cold morning, warning appeared. (heat expansion I assume)

I bought coolant and added about half litre coolant and half litre water and the reservoir is now topped to the yellow mark.

Let's see if the coolant disappears again.

Still 17 000km to next service.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Watching mine - good stuff!
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Mine went off this week at 12,000 miles.
Dealer topped it off under warranty and sent me on my way.
I'll monitor it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
stevebmw3
soon E90 325i,auto,gray,terra,spor t pkg,NAV
Rep
Drives: was E46,fut. E90

I needed too

This is my 4th BMW . I never needed any coolant to add.
But this N55 needed after 12k .I took it in for leak check.Nothing was found.
They sad this engine like the coolant!!.
What to think? keep a bottle with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I must be missing something. Why would the engine burn coolant?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #28
MB_35D
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 Xdrive35D M Sport

Happened at about 8700kms on my car; aprox. 2 times a week. I should visit my dealer soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #29
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

The engine shouldn't burn coolant unless there is an internal gasket failure.

I suspect the engine heats up and it pumps the antifreeze into the reservoir and for some reason the fluid isn't sucked back into the coolant system when the engine cools down. My car had a faint antifreeze odour over the summer months which I chalked up to the reservoir over filling when the engine was hot. When my car got the warning I disregarded it and upon engine restart the warning was gone.

I have had a few electrical gremlins come and GO with a simple restart of the car. I wonder if Bill Gates drives a Bimmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I must be missing something. Why would the engine burn coolant?
      11-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Cap click?

Last week I've had the same coolant low warning light come on. It happened during am cold start up. Goes away after re-start later. The light has been coming on ever am for a few days, so I bought some coolant and topped up. It seems that several other forum mbrs are experiencing this.

While replacing the filler cap, I notice it says "turn until you hear a click" or something like that. When I close cap to the point of lining up arrow, I don't hear the "click". Anyone experience this? Iam wondering if cap is not sealing right??
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #31
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX3OK View Post
Last week I've had the same coolant low warning light come on. It happened during am cold start up. Goes away after re-start later. The light has been coming on ever am for a few days, so I bought some coolant and topped up. It seems that several other forum mbrs are experiencing this.

While replacing the filler cap, I notice it says "turn until you hear a click" or something like that. When I close cap to the point of lining up arrow, I don't hear the "click". Anyone experience this? Iam wondering if cap is not sealing right??
Interesting, I did not notice that "until you hear a click".

I closed the cap and it stopped at quite low force. And I let it be there, I did not try to force it through the stop. Maybe I should try... It felt like the cap was left quite loose even though reaching the stop.

If the cap is too loose, then it bleeds steam out of the cap and that could explain the slow decreasing of the coolant?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #32
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Interesting, I did not notice that "until you hear a click".

I closed the cap and it stopped at quite low force. And I let it be there, I did not try to force it through the stop. Maybe I should try... It felt like the cap was left quite loose even though reaching the stop.

If the cap is too loose, then it bleeds steam out of the cap and that could explain the slow decreasing of the coolant?
On my Canadian model... It's says on the coolant reservoir "turn until you hear click"...?? And yes, it doesn't take much to come to the stop...and it seems it spins reversely with little effort
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #33
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Same experience (I think I have sent a message here few months ago). At around 15k Km. Added up to 2 liters of coolant and now with 0k km more it seems nothing happened again. A hiccup in the factory when filling in liquids in the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #34
bimmerz
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

I got the low coolant light at about 4K miles. The alarm cleared itself and came back on after a couple of days. The dealer said its normal behaviour. I wasn't convinced, so they did a "pressure test", told me there were no leaks and topped it off. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #35
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX3OK View Post
On my Canadian model... It's says on the coolant reservoir "turn until you hear click"...?? And yes, it doesn't take much to come to the stop...and it seems it spins reversely with little effort
Yes, it does say the same thing here.

I tried to unscrew and screw it back, but no click... and I even tried to force it after the "stop", but I did not manage to either break it nor twist it over the "stop".

It is not very tight, but I guess that is the way it is suppose to be
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #36
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Like many others, I have been receiving the "low coolant" message upon cold starts in the morning. Ironically enough, I just had my coolant changed at the dealer in March. I don't see leaks of any sort around the tank, connecting hoses, etc.

I did notice that upon screwing the cap back on, I could not get the arrows to align nor did I receive the "click." I'm guessing my expansion tank/cap are going to need to be replaced as it takes little force to move the cap.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #37
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I asked the stealership to check my x3 for coolant loss at my last oil change and, low and behold, they found that the coolant expansion tank was cracked.

I had gone through 8L of coolant and the dealer couldn't find a problem while the car was under warranty.

Interestingly they had an expansion tank in stock and did not have to order one. Based on that fact alone I suspect the leaking expansion tank is a very common fault.

You may want to insist on that part being inspected and replaced under warranty if the car looses coolant.
      11-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #38
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

FYI - I had the same thing this summer. I complained about coolant loss numerous times when I was under warranty, and was told they pressure tested, no leaks, and topped up. Low and behold now that warranty is expired I had a leak at the bottom of the coolant reservoir where the level sensor was connected. My theory is they only leak when cold as the plastic thermally expands and seals shut (hence passing pressure test at dealership).

I replaced the tank myself....
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #39
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

I had the coolant warning come on for the first time yesterday on a cool morning where I parked outside.

Just over 33333 miles. Luckily, I was in a city with a BMW dealership about 4 miles away, so I drove over there. Told it was down about 3 inches, and it is "common".

I don't know if they check the level at the service time (5000 miles back).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #40
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
FYI - I had the same thing this summer. I complained about coolant loss numerous times when I was under warranty, and was told they pressure tested, no leaks, and topped up. Low and behold now that warranty is expired I had a leak at the bottom of the coolant reservoir where the level sensor was connected. My theory is they only leak when cold as the plastic thermally expands and seals shut (hence passing pressure test at dealership).

I replaced the tank myself....
Had I know what the issue was I would have replaced the part myself.

This discussion hopefully helps someone else.
      11-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #41
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Had I know what the issue was I would have replaced the part myself.

This discussion hopefully helps someone else.
FYI - Since I see you're in Toronto, I ordered from ExoParts and saved money versus the dealership... (good for all Canadians as they sell OEM Parts and have flat rate shipping).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #42
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
FYI - ... I complained about coolant loss numerous times when I was under warranty, and was told they pressure tested, no leaks, and topped up. Low and behold now that warranty is expired I had a leak at the bottom of the coolant reservoir where the level sensor was connected. My theory is they only leak when cold as the plastic thermally expands and seals shut (hence passing pressure test at dealership).
Very similar to my experience.

I had a 2011 X3. Two warranty visits failed to fix a slow loss of coolant problem. Third visit, after very firmly but politely expressing my displeasure, resulted in a replacement of the reservoir and no more loss of coolant. They said they found a hairline leak on the bottom of the reservoir.

After seeing a number of other threads about this problem I have the impression it is not that uncommon.
Appreciate 0