BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
harryt8
harryt8
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 2.0D

Question Brakes seizing after washing...

This may sound a very silly question:
If I hose and wash the vehicle and the wheels on my 2009 2.0d X3 on the driveway and then put it back in the garage overnight, the brake pads lock when I try to drive out and the vehicle is difficult to move initially.

Why would this be? I've never had this happen on any vehicle before.

Should I now drive the vehicle (and use the brakes) after every time I wash it before putting it away?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I would post this question under the first gen forum, or perhaps an administrator can shift it for you.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryt8 View Post
This may sound a very silly question:
If I hose and wash the vehicle and the wheels on my 2009 2.0d X3 on the driveway and then put it back in the garage overnight, the brake pads lock when I try to drive out and the vehicle is difficult to move initially.

Why would this be? I've never had this happen on any vehicle before.

Should I now drive the vehicle (and use the brakes) after every time I wash it before putting it away?
Yes. I would always recommend driving a car after washing it and particularly using the brakes strongly for a brief period to full dry and remove surface rust. Also I never leave my car with the handbrake on whilst it's in the garage. I leave it in gear so there's no chance of it becoming locked on. I had it happen once before (years ago) and having to drive the car forward (to unlock the handbrake) in the garage was not fun!
Appreciate 0