BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #89
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

I asked is there any downsides of ordering replica rims, dealer said that there aren't any. It even looks like original...

No need for other bolts, sensors or anything.

Of course it would have been easy for him to say: "yes, you need this and that" and I would have bought original rims and more money for him.

But of course that depends what replica rims are you buying...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #90
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB101 View Post
Sweet. I got the same rims as you and went with 225 55 18 Nokian Hakkapelita SUV R.
Should be fun :-)
These are very good choice but I have been told that Nokian will be "softer" and give you less precision and handling. Sellers claim maybe, he says that I wouldn't see a good difference between my Dunlop and Nokian on AWD car. It is cheaper too so I'll give a chance and form my own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
From NDG, the quote was 2680$ all tx/installation in, but for wintersports 3D instead of 3M, with BMW replica rims. 245/18/50.

Much higher than your QC dealer.
Wow! Are they giving 10% off for thanksgiving week-end? I thought it was offered by all Goodyear garage. Also these tire are RFT (not mine) so more expensive. They quoted me about 500$ higher for 3D. I decided to take the risk with non-RFT. I bought a repair can (safe for tire pressure monitor) and a compressor.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...p?locale=fr_CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
When ordering BMW replica rims, do we need other parts ? like tire pressure monitor, bolts or other parts?
Depends on the wheels... real replica will fit with no spacer, centering ring on longer/shorter bolts. Mine shown above are supposed to fit perfect but I will only know when I will install them in about a month. I bought the tire pressure monitor at Tirerack (dealer charge 150$ each).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #91
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwin View Post
Wow! Are they giving 10% off for thanksgiving week-end? I thought it was offered by all Goodyear garage. Also these tire are RFT (not mine) so more expensive. They quoted me about 500$ higher for 3D. I decided to take the risk with non-RFT.

There is a rebate on the tires (10%) until oct 11th, and from the manufacturer (20$/tires). so i guess you mean i got a good price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwin View Post
Depends on the wheels... real replica will fit with no spacer, centering ring on longer/shorter bolts. Mine shown above are supposed to fit perfect but I will only know when I will install them in about a month. I bought the tire pressure monitor at Tirerack (dealer charge 150$ each).
Post above said i have nothing to purchase so i'm a little confused
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #92
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

if they gave you 10% off + 80$ off then I guess you have a very good price but you can compare with other garage in MTL.

For your wheels, with real replica you shouldn't have to purchase anything else but with 3rt party wheels like on Tirerack site, you may need additionnal hardware.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #93
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Nice choice. In a test, they were second behind Michelin X-Ice.

Michelin scored 7,6 out of 10 and Nokian 7,5.

Dunlop was second to last with 6,7 out of 10.

Tests were done in Finland... and these were studless winter tyres.

I went for Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 (with studs) and total with rims and taxes they were 1000€. Though I have to say the rims are replica, not BMW oirignal.
You have a link to that test? Although I am a bit skeptical after reading results. I got the continental's based on the high reviews on tirerack for summer, and they are the worst tires I've ever had. They slide in the rain, provide no grip, and suck on cornering. So now I don't know if I should get the dunlops

Anyways, whoever is in Montreal, I was looking and tiretrends.com seems to have very solid pricing. Maybe we can get a group order together?? If you want PM me, and we'll get a big order together and call them, see if we can get a discount.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #94
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
You have a link to that test? Although I am a bit skeptical after reading results. I got the continental's based on the high reviews on tirerack for summer, and they are the worst tires I've ever had. They slide in the rain, provide no grip, and suck on cornering. So now I don't know if I should get the dunlops

Anyways, whoever is in Montreal, I was looking and tiretrends.com seems to have very solid pricing. Maybe we can get a group order together?? If you want PM me, and we'll get a big order together and call them, see if we can get a discount.
There are different tires within the brand names, saying the brand of tire doesn't go far enough. Eg, the Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds are better than the WinterSport 3Ms.
      10-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #95
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
There are different tires within the brand names, saying the brand of tire doesn't go far enough. Eg, the Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds are better than the WinterSport 3Ms.
With all due respect to everyone's well stated opinions:

Even specifying tire “models” doesn’t go far enough. Some manufacturers use different construction specifications (tread pattern, belt/cord constriction and rubber compounds) in different tires of the same “name” depending on size and load range. Also, manufacturers are constantly changing tire designs, even in tires of the same brand/model. The tire that was compared in a published test, may, or may not be the same tire that is being sold 6-months later.

Additionally, a tire that performs well on a particular vehicle, may, or may not, perform well on another vehicle due to specific loading (number of lbs. of contact pressure per square inch of tread surface in contact with the road) weight distribution, 2WD or different AWD configurations, the specific surface temperature when the comparison was made, and even inflation pressure differences. The best snow tires for a 2WD 1/2-ton pickup are probably not the best tires for a X3.

Finally, as has been stated before, anecdotal results, as are typically published in user reviews, such as the TireRack ratings are totally subjective and are essentially worthless since the reviewers either have no frame of reference to compare their results, or are making comparisons to tires that are 3 or 4 years old that were probably fitted to a different vehicle. What I think is great cornering traction on snow, might be mediocre by your standards, and what you think is fantastic braking ability on ice might be unacceptable to me.

It’d just not as simple as saying Nokian “Hakkapeliitta’s” are always better than Bridgestone “Blizzaks” and “Blizzaks are better than “Dunlops”.

It all depends!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #96
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post

As said by Lotus, these results go for these particular tires. But of course you can assume, that if certain brand is always "on the top" of tests and certain brands are bottom, you would be safe with top performers (in winter tires that is Michelin, Nokian and Continental).

Here you can see Finnish summary of the test:

http://www.rengasvertailu.fi/talvire...esti-2011.html

And a link to googletranslate to English:

http://translate.google.com/translat...esti-2011.html

I have to say that this Magazine is very precise what it comes to testing things. They are scientific and engineered. As I am self an engineer, I enjoy reading those tests. But some other minded might think they "over do" tests.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #97
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage View Post
I looked at the TireRack survey. It's worthless, because it's just the opinions of various consumers (You only drive one car, and keep winter tires 2 to 3 years. How can you compare any two sets?).

I looked at the link that I posted, under "methodology". It's also a survey (!) of "tire vendors non affiliated with any brand". Sadly, this seems worthless to me too.

ConsumerReports.org is a richer organization, and they can afford to run real scientific tests. I just subscribed minutes ago (for $26/year!). They say the "Nokian WR G2" is the best "performance winter tire". The Pirelli and the Dunlop score exactly equally in everything that concerns me, but the Dunlop gets a slightly better "noise" rating.
Thanks for the link, ordered 240 Pirelli's from him, size 235/50/R18 , he says there's no difference really between the 235 and 245 sizes as both will fit my bmw stock rims. Either way, he gave a good price and seemed very nice on the phone. All over Montreal they are started to run out of winter tires, so for those on the fence I suggest to start pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #98
zzrobot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance 2 ?

Just purchased from my BMW dealer the only tires they had available for my 2011 X3. Can anyone comment on the Goodyear winter tires ?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #99
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrobot View Post
Just purchased from my BMW dealer the only tires they had available for my 2011 X3. Can anyone comment on the Goodyear winter tires ?
Here's a review from Great Britain, of course it's about use on that Engilsh snow, so may not apply in North America.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #100
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

To those getting the M6 replica wheels, are these 8.5" wide with +35 offset?

Comparing to the OEM 19" that are 8.5" wide with +38 offset, these would provide "3mm MORE clearance on the strut side, and the outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 3mm" I would assume 3mm would not be a problem, anybody know for sure?

Anybody have pictures of these mounted yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #101
jc4ho
Rep
Drives: BMW

I got the X3 winter package from simply tire in toronto. Highly recommended.

I picked the 17" with Toyo Observe Gsi-5. They offered a bunch of other common ones by Bridgestone/Continential/Dunlop/Michelin but I decided to go with Toyo based on some personal recommendations. Came out to $1400ish taxes in after all the discounts/rebates. Was pretty pleased.

AND, in contrast to what BMW said about requiring 18" on the 35i, the 17" I got fits perfectly, and no TPM needed.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #102
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Finally have time to take picture of my winter sets.....

The ride of the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II is much quieter than those Good Year LS2..... and the Elbrus I05 didn't look too bad with the X3.....

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #103
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Just today had the 18" BMW OEM #308 wheels with Dunlop Wintersports D3 RTFs (245/50R18) put on today. I was thinking I might not like the looks of the 308 wheels versus the stock 19" 369Ms, but I don't think the 308s look bad at all.

Only drove home from the BMW store, about 10kms (just over 6 miles), but "think" the 18" wheels make for a bit softer ride. That's OK for winter.
      11-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #104
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Put my winter boots on . 245/50R 18" Dunlop SP winter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #105
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

We are now on our second day of considerable snowfall here, and my new Dunlop WSport 3D winter tires are performing well. In fact, this is the first chance I have had to flog the 35i a bit in the snow, and the combo of the winter tires and the XDrive system work very well. Many roads have not seen the snowplows yet, so is a good test.

It is very capable in snow and on icey roads. I'm a happy camper.

Last edited by tuco44; 11-19-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #106
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
We are now on our second day of considerable snowfall here, and my new Dunlop WSport 3D winter tires are performing well. In fact, this is the first chance I have had to flog the 35i a bit in the snow, and the combo of the winter tires and the XDrive system work very well. Many roads have seen the snowplows yet, so is a good test.

It is very capable in snow and on icey roads. I'm a happy camper.
Good to know the winter tires are performing well. I have the same tires. I'm in Eastern Ontario and we're still waiting for our first snowfall of the season.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #107
Rinse
Rep
Drives: X3

Also got mine done at Simply Tire in Toronto.

Went with the 225-60-17 Hankook W409 iPike's
Replica M5 Rims

Sorry about the dirty car =)

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #108
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo28 View Post
Put my winter boots on . 245/50R 18" Dunlop SP winter.
Nice. What wheels and size are you running in your winter set up?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #109
-Eden
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 2.8

Has anyone tried putting winter tires on the stock rims they give you ?
The size for the stock tire is 245/55/R18 and I found pirelli Ice and snow for 950 total on tire rack. If these are okay in snow I might consider buying these as my BMW dealership charges crazy prices .
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #110
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Of course you can put winters on the stock wheels that come with the car.

Many of us have a second dedicated set of wheels for winters to avoid twice a year removed/reinstall of tires. Makes the change-overs easy, and not that costly amortized over 4 or 5 years. Less damage potential as well. Usually our winter wheels are less-costly choices.