BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
doukeyi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Sparkling Bronze Requires Special Consideration?

When customizing X3, does anybody knows why it has a small note there saying it requires special consideration?
      05-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukeyi View Post
When customizing X3, does anybody knows why it has a small note there saying it requires special consideration?
It never used to say that. If it does now, that is something new.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
doukeyi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
It never used to say that. If it does now, that is something new.
I take a snap shot. It turns out it also happens to "Vermilion Red" and "Blue Water Metallic"
Attached Images

05-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I know it says to take special consideration but I don't think it has anything to do with caring for the car. Black cars are still the hardest to take care of; you should speak with your CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
As far as I know
SB is one of the 3 custom colours
With VR and the sky blue, can't remember the name
Cool thing is you won't see those colours on dealer lots
They have to be ordered by the customer
      05-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Maybe because of the shortage of some pigments of the paint.....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

As described above, these colors can only be ordered by a customer. It's my understanding that dealers can't order them for stock. It means that any car in these colors was custom ordered by the original owner. Not a huge deal, but they will be a little less common than the others - and the owner waited and got exactly what they wanted.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Same goes with some options like automatic high beams. They say special consideration which means dealers can't order those options for stock/lot cars, they are custom orders only. Sort of a cool idea by BMW makes your car more unique.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
My dealer just got a 28i demo in Vermillon Red delivered to the lot. It wasn't a customers so maybe they just made this change for at least the red color?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
doukeyi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Not sure. I just check the website, it still has this little "*" mark on Vermillon Red.
      05-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
My dealer just got a 28i demo in Vermillon Red delivered to the lot. It wasn't a customers so maybe they just made this change for at least the red color?
Or customer canceled and dealer left it on order...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
As described above, these colors can only be ordered by a customer. It's my understanding that dealers can't order them for stock. It means that any car in these colors was custom ordered by the original owner. Not a huge deal, but they will be a little less common than the others - and the owner waited and got exactly what they wanted.

This is the reason....there is no shortage of pigment or special care...BMW is putting this disclaimer on there b/c the ONLY way you can get these colors is to custom order your car...for most of us who are ordering it doesn't matter, but for the soccer mom who wants to shop monday morning and pick up monday evening, they are basically saying that these colors will NOT be on dealer lots...they can only be ordered....that's it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

They also might put it on spec order if they are having supply issues, that way it saves it for those that really want it
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
This is the reason....there is no shortage of pigment or special care...BMW is putting this disclaimer on there b/c the ONLY way you can get these colors is to custom order your car...for most of us who are ordering it doesn't matter, but for the soccer mom who wants to shop monday morning and pick up monday evening, they are basically saying that these colors will NOT be on dealer lots...they can only be ordered....that's it.
Not sure about that, the dealer here has a SB 35i on the showroom floor that was ordered as a spec car, not customer ordered.
      05-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Not sure about that, the dealer here has a SB 35i on the showroom floor that was ordered as a spec car, not customer ordered.
Yea dealer probably ordered up a spec model for the floor....they used up one of their production allocations for a custom color or someone changed their mind and they have it on the floor now.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

BMW likes to phrase things in such a convoluted and sophisticated way for two reasons:

1. They want to make you think the option is extremely special, therefore rare and better than every other option. This makes you think that your car is then better and possibly worth more than someone else's car that has one of the non-special order colors.

2. They want to confuse you to a point where you do not understand what it is that you are choosing. You think you need it because "if it's noteworthy enough for BMW to have to tell me about it, then I should probably get it." But in reality, it is no better or worse than any other choice, just different.

The special order concept is a marketing ploy. BMW will pick colors that people typically might not order--colors that require an "acquired" taste--and say that you can only get them if you order them and your dealership cannot order them unless you request that they put you on a special order list.

The words "special order" mean the same thing as Build-Your-Own. The only difference is that you have to really really like the color, AND they want to ensure that the dealerships don't order a fleet of cars with the special colors only to find out that not as many people want them as statistics based on individuality and exclusivity factors might assume.

Those colors require no more "special consideration" than any other colors or options you order.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

The dealer in Loveland, CO had not one, but TWO vermillion red X3's on their lot...so doubtful that those were abandoned customer orders. They were pretty basic in terms of options too.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
The dealer in Loveland, CO had not one, but TWO vermillion red X3's on their lot...so doubtful that those were abandoned customer orders. They were pretty basic in terms of options too.
One of those might be an abandoned customer, and the other might be one that's waiting to be prepped before pickup by another customer.

Also, did any of you ever think that your dealership might just not be the angelic group of sales associates that you thought they were? Come on! It's obvious that some of them might be using their order spots to "special order" these colors! Dealers are in the business of making you a deal. That means they have seen far and wide the devious tactics that buyers and other dealers use to get the upper hand of things. They want money. They'll do a lot more than you think to get it.

AND: The fact that they were pretty basic in terms of options just means they ordered non-controversial cars that will be picked out by the least selective of buyers. Ever heard of a sweet 16 present? A lot of parents will buy their ill-informed children high end cars with less options so they can spend less money and still see Mandy's teeth sparkle as bright as her metallic paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
One of those might be an abandoned customer, and the other might be one that's waiting to be prepped before pickup by another customer.

Also, did any of you ever think that your dealership might just not be the angelic group of sales associates that you thought they were? Come on! It's obvious that some of them might be using their order spots to "special order" these colors! Dealers are in the business of making you a deal. That means they have seen far and wide the devious tactics that buyers and other dealers use to get the upper hand of things. They want money. They'll do a lot more than you think to get it.

AND: The fact that they were pretty basic in terms of options just means they ordered non-controversial cars that will be picked out by the least selective of buyers. Ever heard of a sweet 16 present? A lot of parents will buy their ill-informed children high end cars with less options so they can spend less money and still see Mandy's teeth sparkle as bright as her metallic paint.
What! You mean I can't trust a car salesman! I would have never guessed that and thank you sincerely for your insight! And for what its worth, both vermillion reds were for sale...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Dealers order cars for inventory all the time that have customer order only options. BMWNA doesn't really care. The restrictions are only a marketing gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #21
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
What! You mean I can't trust a car salesman! I would have never guessed that and thank you sincerely for your insight! And for what its worth, both vermillion reds were for sale...
Then it's probably just the marketing gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #22
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Just out of interest, there are no special consideration notes against those colours on the UK configurator.
Appreciate 0