BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
sasonion
Rep
Drives: Soon 2012 BMW X3

Clunk noise while in idle

As usual I am hoping for your expert opinions. I have a 2012 BMW X3 and here in Alberta it has started to snow (-20 C with wind chill). I started the car up before brushing off the snow however twice today I heard somewhat loud clunk noise coming from the vehicle as I was brushing off the snow. No I did not hit car with the snow brush and yes the car was in idle as I was getting rid of the snow

I am not sure if this is a problem, I thank you guys in advance.

Sasonion
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
sasonion
Rep

Just to make sure I was not being oversensitive; after 1 hour of my earlier post, I went out and started the car and stood outside (still around -20 C). After approx 1 min and at around 800 rpm, I again heard the clunk (sounded more like air piston snapping) noise from the rear of the vehicle. Mind you the car has not moved at all and is on the drive way. No Parking ((P)) brake or Auto Hold, just on P.

At first I thought it had to do with the tailgate, as I originally hear the noise after taking my brush out the back of the car. But the next two times, I did not do anything with the tailgate.

I am wondering if this is some how related to the freezing temperature we are having.

I apologize for being paranoid.

Thanks
Sasonion
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

As it seems you are able to recreate the issue, would it be possible to record it with e.g. mobile phone?

Do you have bensin or diesel engine? Maybe it is the secondary path of exhaust gases and its flap?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Any chance it was the fuel door latching? It makes quite a loud noise. I discovered it when washing the car with the key in my pocket. I was locking and unlocking the car and hearing the fuel door lock.
      11-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
sasonion
Rep

It might just be the fuel door. I will monitor the fuel door, when it makes the sound again and post back. If possible I will also try to record the sound. Thanks a much guys.
Appreciate 0