BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2023, 09:33 PM   #1
Vija
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 30D

Air Con strangeness

Hi all,

I've had my air con re-gassed lately but it's still just not as good as it should be. I'm certain the driver and passenger side air is coming out at different temperatures with it colder on the drivers (RHD) side. When looking at the figures, the refrigerant pressure seems ok and varies with cooling requirements. The pressure sensor and temperature sensor figures don't change....does that look correct at -1bar and -10.20 deg? Seems odd.

I should also mention I have a mean air con whine with rpm....definitely only when the compressor is running. Does not appear to be the clutch as we have removed the belt and the pulley feels nice and smooth with no play.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

How do you have the stratified air dials set on the dash's center vent? Are you familiar with the stratified air dials and how to utilize it? Only asking because I didn't see anything mentioned to discount its setting for the reason for warmer/cooler air temp coming from the dash vents (which the stratified air dial controls).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 08:53 PM   #3
Vija
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
How do you have the stratified air dials set on the dash's center vent? Are you familiar with the stratified air dials and how to utilize it? Only asking because I didn't see anything mentioned to discount its setting for the reason for warmer/cooler air temp coming from the dash vents (which the stratified air dial controls).
Hi, I just leave the air dials on cold always....I'm in Australia, don't need the heater much.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 04:15 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Get a pencil style thermometer and verify vent temps. An inadequate (low) Freon charge will cause temp variation between L and R vents, common symptom.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 12:02 AM   #5
Vija
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Get a pencil style thermometer and verify vent temps. An inadequate (low) Freon charge will cause temp variation between L and R vents, common symptom.
Hi thanks, the reason Im less likely to assume refrigerant charge is because it was only done a couple of months ago and the refrigerant pressure shows 9 bar with the car running.

If the air con compressor isnt running, the left side puts out warmer air than the right as well. I've been playing with each side and the ambient air is always warmer on the left.

I've done the doors calibration in ISTA/D but wondering if there is anything else I can try.
Appreciate 0