BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2023, 09:55 PM   #1
prospectnumber1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Lexus is250

How concerned should I be about an accident near the beginning of a used cars life?

Hi all,

I have been looking for an F25 X3 Xdrive35i with decently low mileage for a while now and have finally stumbled upon one that I think is fairly priced. Its a 2017 with all the packages I want (including the M-Sport package) and its one of the colors I wanted as well. Its got a 2 owner carfax with regular oil changes and all servicing was done at the same BMW dealership it was originally purchased at for both owners.

Unfortunately, I did notice the car was in an accident in its first year of life, and the accident report on carfax says the vehicle was sideswiped by another and it ran into a curb. It says functional damage reported but airbags did not deploy. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it no big deal? I need to know because I really very much want this car
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 10:37 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Welcome to the forum...
If it were me, I would pass, sideswiped and curb, the "fairly priced" should be a clue, but if you're comfortable with that, go for it
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 10:52 PM   #3
prospectnumber1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Lexus is250

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Welcome to the forum...
If it were me, I would pass, sideswiped and curb, the "fairly priced" should be a clue, but if you're comfortable with that, go for it
Do you think a PPI would reveal any issues caused by the accident?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectnumber1 View Post
Do you think a PPI would reveal any issues caused by the accident?
Unless you have a detailed repair report/quote for the work, I doubt a PPI would be able to tell how extensive the work was, only that the repairs were done well or not and even then, there could be hidden damage. Accident history, unless very minor, kills resale value.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

These cars are not rare, and I'd travel a long way to get one I wanted, so the price would have to be really great for me to buy one that had what sounds like at least moderately serious damage. It may well have no "issues" per se, but I'd still know that I bought a wrecked car which would bother me unless I could practically laugh at how cheap I got it. And a typical PPI is by a mechanic. If i wanted it inspected for past body work, I'd have a body shop or detailer look at it (actually, I would do it myself, but that's what I would advise you to do).
Appreciate 1