BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
RichardJ
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 30d M Sport

Variable damper control and Ride quality

I'm currently in a f30 m sport and am looking to switch to something more refined and comfortable.

Does the VDC option in the x3 result in identical suspension firmness in comfort mode whether it's a m sport or X line/SE? The only difference in ride quality being down to the tyre sizes?

I have adaptive m sport suspension on my f30 and my understanding is it doesn't create SE type suspension in comfort mode, it just smooths the m sport suspension out a bit so I'd have been better doing for an SE with adaptive to get most comfort.

If im after the softest suspension on a x3, should I go SE/X line with VDC over m sport with VDC? (Ignoring tyre size impact)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Basically yes. The most comfortable will be an SE with 17" alloys and VDC.
M Sports have been compromised by runflats imo. They provide great safety at the expense of ride comfort and tyre noise.
I keep see sawing with the idea of changing to normal tyres or staying with rft's.
An M Sport X3 with normal tyres doesn't need VDC. My E60 530d was horrible on rft's, but transformed when i used normal tyres
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 02:49 AM   #3
Nham68
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

4 weeks ago I went from an f31 3.0d msport with adaptive to an f25 3.0 msport with sports suspension and no VDC. I was worried, but it's absolutely fine now the car has settled in : first 500 miles (new car) was very twitchy, I got very worried and car felt nervous / every little bump came into cabin / felt on edge etc - now is very good - I presume the springs softened a touch and also tyres bedded in (running Pirello P0 run flats on 20").

It is firm, no doubt, but I find it about on par with the f31 (with adaptive) when going over potholes or bad road surfaces. Road noise is much better in the f25 also. Handling cannot be compared as cars are so different , though f25 handles very well for its height .

Chalk and cheese. F25 isn't as agile and the adaptive (VDC) on f31 made what I considered a compromised ride quality on f31 much better : f25 doesn't have compromised ride quality in the first place imho.

Hope it helps ... Also consider though what kind of ride you like. I like a firm ride and to feel the road .. So my views are biased in that way. If you like to be insulated , then VDC is probably a good option.

Cheers John
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Good post John
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #5
RichardJ
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 30d M Sport

Thanks John, really helpful. If I chose the x3 I think I'm going to go X line with VDC so I should get a comfy ride on the 18s. I do like the m sport but cost wise I'm struggling!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Mine is an M Sport with 20s and I find the comfort setting is fine for most use. However I am coming from 2 previous E83 X3 M Sports so am used to a firm setup.

I have some winters on 17s and found it quite a wallowy set up so switched it to Sport mode most of the time.

Agree with what's been suggested - and X-Line on 17s will be your best option for a comfortable ride, just make sure you test it and will be happy with it being quite soft.
      04-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #7
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Basically yes. The most comfortable will be an SE with 17" alloys and VDC.
M Sports have been compromised by runflats imo. They provide great safety at the expense of ride comfort and tyre noise.
I keep see sawing with the idea of changing to normal tyres or staying with rft's.
An M Sport X3 with normal tyres doesn't need VDC. My E60 530d was horrible on rft's, but transformed when i used normal tyres
I have the above spec viz Se + vdc with 17" and pirelli non run flats and I was pleasantly surprised by the smooth ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I have just moved from a F30 MSport to a F25 MSport (passive suspension in both). My initial experience of the F25 was the same as for John i.e. a little twitchy, but fine now. I find the suspension a little softer in the F25.
Appreciate 0