BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
test0703
JJK0703
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

BMW X3 35I Radio Presets

I have 15 radio preset stations. When I change stations with the steering wheel thumbwheel, the station listing always stays on whatever page it had, showing only the same 6-7 stations. The control display does not change with the station changes I am making with the thumbwheel. So I could be listening to a station that does not even show up in the control display. This is incredibly stupid. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I could have sworn the 1st day I had the car the thumbwheel only had to be pushed to change stations and you would just push up or down once to indicate the direction to go, but then you only had to push once to quickly cycle through the stations in that direction. But now I have to move up or down, then push to change stations. Is there a way to set it so it goes up or down, then you only have to push once to change stations?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

You're looking in the wrong place. Thumbwheel response is indicated in the display cluster in front of the steering wheel (below RPM guage). Scroll stations (or playlists) up or down and then push to select. It should update the center dash display as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
X3msport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643492

I asked the same question... It doesn't make sense to me either... You would think the presets chosen through the steering wheel would be reflected on the idrive screen... Although they are updated under the instrument cluster, it would make sense for the idrive screen to display the current preset selected.....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
test0703
JJK0703
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
You're looking in the wrong place. Thumbwheel response is indicated in the display cluster in front of the steering wheel (below RPM guage). Scroll stations (or playlists) up or down and then push to select. It should update the center dash display as well.
If you have more presets than fit on one page, the center display does not update. A check mark moves to the station seoected, but if it is not on the page that was originally selected using the i wheel you cannot even see it. It's quite dumb really.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

That's not true at all on my car. I routinely scroll through 18 presets.
      03-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by test0703 View Post
I have 15 radio preset stations. When I change stations with the steering wheel thumbwheel, the station listing always stays on whatever page it had, showing only the same 6-7 stations. The control display does not change with the station changes I am making with the thumbwheel. So I could be listening to a station that does not even show up in the control display. This is incredibly stupid. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I could have sworn the 1st day I had the car the thumbwheel only had to be pushed to change stations and you would just push up or down once to indicate the direction to go, but then you only had to push once to quickly cycle through the stations in that direction. But now I have to move up or down, then push to change stations. Is there a way to set it so it goes up or down, then you only have to push once to change stations?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
You roll the wheel, then press it t select. You can't push up or down.
      03-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I have 38 presets and I am able to scroll through all of them by using the roller on my steering wheel and seeing it on my instrument cluster. You have to be sure that your iDrive has selected the right group of things to scroll through. For example, if you have your iDrive screen showing all your stations, then your steering wheel scroll will scroll through them all. If your iDrive is showing only your presets, then your steering wheel scroll will scroll through only your presets. If your iDrive is showing something else, like Nav, then your scroll wheel will scroll through whatever you had selected last in the Radio or CD settings.

I have the screen to be split and show the entertainment info on the right side so whatever station I tune to - it will show on the screen. Maybe that is why it never phased me that the selection on the iDrive screen didn't change with the steering wheel scroll button.
Appreciate 0