BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Chudwill
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d MSport & 123d MSport

Mod Chips?

Now here is a very contraversial question. While i am still awaiting the delivery of the X3 at the end of this month, there is a number of sites advertising the mod chip to increase the BHP to 223 of the standard 2.0 diesel engine. Has anyone thought about fitting after the 1000 mile bedding in period? Interested to know or is it too good to be true getting another 39bhp from the standard 184 bhp engine?
BMW X3 (F25) xDrive20d M Sport . . Space Grey . . 368M . . Oyster Leather . . Fine line Wave trim . . PRO Multimedia Package . . Visibility package . . . Lumbar Support seats . . folding mirrors . . DAB radio . . business speakers . . split rear seats . . . Reversing Camera with Top View . . . Variable Damper Control . . . Auto . . . Heated Front Seats . . . Mobile App
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudwill View Post
Now here is a very contraversial question. While i am still awaiting the delivery of the X3 at the end of this month, there is a number of sites advertising the mod chip to increase the BHP to 223 of the standard 2.0 diesel engine. Has anyone thought about fitting after the 1000 mile bedding in period? Interested to know or is it too good to be true getting another 39bhp from the standard 184 bhp engine?
You can do it and you'll probably see the advertised increased power but I think you'll invalidate your warranty if the dealer can prove a problem is linked to you chipping the car (could be easier to prove it's chipped these days because of the amount of data the car stores as you drive it) and you also need to consider the extra wear and tear on the tyres and brakes etc. There are good reasons why the standard car is 184 not 223.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
Chudwill
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thats a fair point, as a driver of a 2.0d what is the power like? I am currently driving a 320d 150bhp and change to the X3 at the end of this month.
BMW X3 (F25) xDrive20d M Sport . . Space Grey . . 368M . . Oyster Leather . . Fine line Wave trim . . PRO Multimedia Package . . Visibility package . . . Lumbar Support seats . . folding mirrors . . DAB radio . . business speakers . . split rear seats . . . Reversing Camera with Top View . . . Variable Damper Control . . . Auto . . . Heated Front Seats . . . Mobile App
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thats a fair point, as a driver of a 2.0d what is the power like? I am currently driving a 320d 150bhp and change to the X3 at the end of this month.
I went from a 3 door Golf GTI at 200bhp and was expecting it to be much slower because of less power combined with the extra size and weight but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. For 99% of driving I do it's more than enough and it returns 40mpg if you drive it sensibly. I also have a speed limiter usually sitting in the passenger seat called a wife . Yes the 30d is better but if you used the extra power you'd see poorer fuel economy. The 20d is just right IMO although I would be tempted by the 30d if ordering now (it wasn't available when I ordered last Oct)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Chudwill
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that 'sfax' I would agree if I could have afforded the 3.0 and it was available when i ordered, I would have changed. Don't think i will be too disappointed trying to buy a Z4 2. (2003) for the weekend just need to find a cheap insurance for 5k mileage per year.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Thought about a chipped 2.0d myself but I've just changed my order for the 3.0d, nice smooth straight 6. If you have metallic and an auto box there's not much in it for price or running costs. I guess about 5 mpg worse, 35 extra tax and 70 extra insurance. Say 250 extra year, 5 week. I'm sure it's worth skipping a coupe of pints for!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
Thought about a chipped 2.0d myself but I've just changed my order for the 3.0d, nice smooth straight 6. If you have metallic and an auto box there's not much in it for price or running costs. I guess about 5 mpg worse, 35 extra tax and 70 extra insurance. Say 250 extra year, 5 week. I'm sure it's worth skipping a coupe of pints for!!!
When you consider that it will probably bring a better price at trade-in time, it looks even better.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Chudwill
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Wish i could swap it now but having been told i am am collecting it on 29th September its a bit late to change my mind. Will just have to wait for the next swap out to get the 3.0d engine. Thanks all for making me feel soooooo much better.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

It is tempting to put mod chips, many people here use it (from dastek, racechip, etc) to their diesel cars and works really well. Power and economy is improved as advertised.

To be fair, the best selling diesel SUV here is Toyota Fortuner 2.5 D4D with only 102hp/259nm and Mitsubishi Pajero sport 2.5 DI-D with 136hp/314nm (turbo version, no variable geometry) and 178hp/350nm (variable geometry turbo version). Both are similar to a BMW X5 size-wise and both are 7-seater body-on-frame suv, so naturally it felt underpowered with those power figures.

I haven't seen BMW diesel with chiptuning yet. I was tempted at first, but then I felt 184hp/380nm is enough for me, at least for now. I don't think it's worth risking voiding the warranty, again, at least for now
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
Chudwill
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

i think you may be right 184 bhp may well be enough for the uk roads after all you cannot legally go faster than 70mph (up to 80 mph in reality) so as long as it gets there and return a good MPG (although there isn't much in it for the 3.0d) then i will be happy for a few years while i have it. Only 2 weeks to go now thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
If you have metallic and an auto box there's not much in it for price
My 20d was £42.3k, same spec 30d is £48k! Some of this is VAT and discount but that's quite a hefty mark up

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Chudwill
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

The £48k is approaching X5 models instead. Would be tempted to get a 2nd hand X5 in 4 years and get the extra spec. VAT over here certainly puts people off buying a new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
If you bought a X5 you would need more than 48k once you started playing with the options.

Going back to chip, I had one on a Astra diesel for 300 miles to 120,000 miles. I drove the car very hard (company car with company fuel in those days) and didn't have any engine problems or servicing issues (I did take it off every service).

I would say if you go for a sensible increase from a good company you should be OK.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I just came from my dealership yesterday, my car had a minor fault come up, anyway they placed the Key in a key-reader and the amount of info that came out even emissions were listed!!!, I would be careful now on these new computerised cars!.
      10-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
The SpiderBox is a very well rated by a few of the directors at work who have had it on several BMW's.

I checked their website and it shows around an 18% increase.
The biggest benefit I've heard is the large increases in MPG, people seeing 3-6 increase around town and some have said over 10 on long runs.

As to warranty.. yes, if it can be provide to be linked you are on your own, some of the chippers provide warranty, the SpiderBox offers a full 5 year warranty on engine and drivetrain.

I do notice that the 3.0D when tuned by them is more powerful than the 3.5D.

Are these 2 cars not the same engine, just different map for the engine on the 3.5.. therefore in some cases its possible they are just putting the map for the higher model on the lower.

Everyone I know that has had one has said they would always do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
These engines are designed with a huge range of tolerances. They have to cater with fuel from all areas where the quality is going to be very bad, but in Europe / US the fuel quality is far better, so those tolerances can be played with slightly with no real harm to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
The SpiderBox is a very well rated by a few of the directors at work who have had it on several BMW's.

I checked their website and it shows around an 18% increase.
The biggest benefit I've heard is the large increases in MPG, people seeing 3-6 increase around town and some have said over 10 on long runs.

As to warranty.. yes, if it can be provide to be linked you are on your own, some of the chippers provide warranty, the SpiderBox offers a full 5 year warranty on engine and drivetrain.

I do notice that the 3.0D when tuned by them is more powerful than the 3.5D.

Are these 2 cars not the same engine, just different map for the engine on the 3.5.. therefore in some cases its possible they are just putting the map for the higher model on the lower.

Everyone I know that has had one has said they would always do it.
Not the same engine, yours has ONE twin turbo technology, the NEW 35D Engine has two twin turbos and is all aluminium construction, giving 313BHP and 630NM torque.
I have re-mapped most of the BMW's I have owned apart from this latest one ( 550i M Sport ) which frankly does not need any more grunt.
The word is this new 35d engine really is a flyer, I will report back once I've got it. But the torque in the 550i M Sport is only 600 NM compared to the 35D @ 630 NM, and the 550i is a monster.
      10-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

I am also very curious about these chips, i also feel tempted, who ever decides to try it out let us know
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Well just ordered a tuningkit - for my Peugeot 1.6 diesel... to see how we get on. IF it works will consider one for the X3 in a couple of years.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0