BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
AnandS
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

X3 Quirks

Hello everyone,

I just got a 2014 X3 28i last week. It rides surprisingly well. So far I love it -- it's my first SUV. Last night I parked with one tire on the sidewalk. Tomorrow I'm going to drive to work with the left turn signal on the whole way. I can't wait for the first time I get to park right up against the driver's door on a small car. There are, however, some things I found somewhat surprising:

(tl;dr: Is there a fix for auto-dimming mirrors not dimming and lack of Siri/S-Voice integration?)

1.) Map coverage isn't as complete as it was on my 2012 X1.
2.) Auto-dimming exterior mirrors don't dim.
3.) BMW Canada's premium package upgrades you to "HiFi" audio, which is the crappy base sound system in other countries. No option for a better system on the 28i. Sirius sounds like ass (I mean ass as in buttocks, not auto-start/stop).
4.) The F25 X3 doesn't have headlamp washers, but the E84 X1 does (even pre-LCI). I understand other countries have it. Not that big of a deal -- it's just fun when people walk in front of the car.
5.) I have the new iDrive, but no Siri/S-Voice integration. Hopefully this can be coded.
6.) On my X1, I could assign Nav destinations and "Current Office" to the radio preset buttons. I even had a button set to toggle day/night mode on the nav screen. Can't on the X3.
7.) Privacy glass looks like regular glass, even with a black interior. I guess it's called "privacy glass" because it doesn't listen to your conversations.
8.) Rear seat backrest recline angle is not adjustable like it was in the X1 (handy for increasing cargo space without folding seats down)
9.) Voice command/phone buttons moved to the other side of the steering wheel compared to E90/E84 for no apparent reason. Now I keep hitting cruise control when I want to call someone. Reminds me of when they changed the Steptronic shift direction on the facelifted E46.
10.) They put the 3M protection film 12" up the hood instead of all the way up the hood like on my E90 and E84 for the "seamless" look.

Dealer says the mirrors do dim, just not to a perceivable degree like the F30/F15 (so useful!). I hope someone has a solution for this and the Siri/S-Voice integration. I have an ENET cable/software on the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Gee, our 2011 X3 has headlight washers; they pop out and spray when activated. Did BMW drop these?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

Nope. I have them too on my 2014.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Its because he is from Canada that he doesn't have the headlight washers. Not an option there.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
makersmark
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i M Sport

1. That's odd since each year uses the previous year as a basis but then provides the newest updates. However, I imagine like with Google and Apple they may make inaccuracies but less coverage sounds odd. Though as this is in regards to Canada I'm not quite sure. If you verify in settings you have 2014 MAP coverage installed let the dealer know what's missing or incorrect.
2. By dimming this means thats when someone behind you has for instance high beams on or strong lights they will be less bright than they would otherwise. So it's one of those features you might not know you have or think is on, until you are in a car that doesn't have it. That being said if the light from the people behind you is full blast in the rear view mirrors then you will want to check with your dealer to see if the sensor is faulty as that is standard on the x3.
3. Could you let us know what it actually sounds like? That is it sounds like "a$$" isn't as helpful =) as if you mean to say it sounds like there is no bass or high treble as those could be adjusted in settings. Or if you mean it sounds like your underwater or something then sounds like something is broken and you should check with your dealer.
4. X3 doesn't come standard with retractable headlight washers. Which is true, it comes with the cold weather package. Assuming you got the cold weather package they are there unless they are not included in that package in Canada. That would stink since you would probably need them more up north than in many parts of the US.
5. In regards to Siri not working can you provide more details on what you have tried? For instance is your iPhone running iOS7 and paired to the car using Bluetooth? It will need to be. Also a short hold will still bring up BMW Voice a long hold is required to activate Siri. What happens when you do that? Also it will only simply activate Siri as if you doubled clicked your actual phone. Eyes Free in the Car feature still has yet to be released by Apple even though they announced it. Once Apple releases it then BMW will work on a free update to use that feature I hear. Let us know more about what you have tried and what happens when you attempt to get siri to work.
6. This is still possible. You can set your home and office address in your contact book. Also you can still assign most any contact (address), station, or most setting pages to one of the touch numbers. If you cannot, you'll want to check with your dealer to see if something is broken.
7. Are you sure you have privacy glass? Privacy glass (which I have on my x3) looks drastically different then clear glass. Front windows are clear, and the back windows will look drastically different. If they look identical then you do not have privacy glass and if you build sheet says you should then you will want to contact the dealer. But if you mean that you have privacy glass but that you wanted it to be "darker" the percent of maximum darkness is determined by the state you live in (at least in the USA).
8. That's correct, that is only a feature on the x1 since it's a very different design than the x3.
9. That's correct, I think they moved it to right back when they redesigned the x3 in 2011 model. I prefer having the most popular buttons on the right but that's probably because I'm right handed. If your left handed I could certainly see it being less popular though I think I've read 70 to 90% of people are right handed which probably why they made the design decision.
10. I haven't seen the 3M go all the way up the hood as it's standard to only go up the front. Assuming you specially requested that it go all the way up and they did not then you'll want to check with the dealer/installer about that.

Hope you can get all the issues worked out! I got luckily and very few quirks with my x3. The main was is if you are listening to music through Bluetooth audio and then plug it into the usb to charge it immediately disables bluetooth and you have to play through the usb, and then when you unplug it you have to re-enable bluetooth audio in settings. Hopefully they fix that in a future update. Also the arm rest as a bit of a squeak and wobble up and down to it as it seems to need larger rubber feet on the cover.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
AnandS
Rep

Thanks for the responses.

1) It turns out my map version is 2013-1. My X1 also had 2013 maps, perhaps they were newer.

2) I have been blinded by aftermarket HIDs on the side mirrors and did contact the dealer about that. That's when they told me the side mirrors don't dim very much.

3) The midrange sounds attenuated. Bass has has presence but isn't tight or punchy. Treble is slightly harsh and metallic. It's like if you EQ 25-1000 Hz at +1, 1000-6000Hz at -5, and >6000 at +5. Adjusting treble/bass helps, but the sound varies wildly as the source changes.

4. Headlight washers were dropped by BMW Canada for the X3. I guess they figure only 3,4,5,7,X1,X5,X6,M3/4/5/6 owners are interested in that feature.

5. Bluetooth is connected and working for both my Galaxy Note 3 and iPhone 4s. I have tried each independently. The Note 3 will not put S-Voice through bluetooth audio whether I long press the steering wheel voice command button or activate it from the phone (I tried my old Note 2, same behaviour). I tried the iPhone both in and out of the armrest media cradle. Long press of the voice command button does not do anything, but Siri will go through bluetooth when activated from the phone both in and out of the media cradle. I varied the length of holding the steering wheel button down from 5 seconds to 65 seconds in 10-second intervals. Based on how old my maps are, the production date of my car probably predates this function.

6. I'll have to contact the dealer. This just isn't working.

7. Privacy glass is standard in Canada as far as I know, and the back windows do look slightly different. They're just not drastically different, and you can still see into the back quite easily. I guess that's why the back windows have retractable blinds.

8. Would have been nice to have, but not a big deal.

9 I'm right handed, but used to years of the old setup. I'm sure I'll adjust until they find a new spot for it in a future vehicle.

10. I've never requested the 3M film go all the way up before, they've just always done it. My vehicle is Alpine White, so I'm worried the nose will be a different colour than the rest of the car in a couple of years. One of the guys at the office has an X5 where the film has started to yellow.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

with ice forming on front bumper in winter, headlight washers would break easily by obstructions, it's not something you really have to have
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Try and get the euro version wing mirrors. They work so much better than the US versions. You can find them on ebay for about 300 USD.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
gregwym
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i 2014

1.) Mine 2014 X3 comes with map version 2014-2. If yours comes with 2013-1, there must be something went extremely wrong! Double check your map version and production date.
2.) It truly doesn't dim that much, but seems working fine for me.
3.) The premium package on MY14 X3 28i doesn't include Hi-Fi. And yes, the audio system is not good. Hi-Fi comes with Executive package or 35i.
4.) Sadly mine doesn't have Headlamp washer as well. Maybe its just too cold to have them in Canada.
5.) Mine comes with NBT HU, which works great with Siri. It activate when you long press the button. If it doesn't do that for you, you can try go to http://www.bmw.com/update to update your system mobile software.
6.) Mine can save Current Office
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
AnandS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
with ice forming on front bumper in winter, headlight washers would break easily by obstructions, it's not something you really have to have
I agree, it's not a must-have. It definitely is handy in Calgary where there is road spray every week or two when the snow melts. I've never had a problem with ice on the bumper interfering with the washer on my E46, E90 or E84. It seems like a really odd omission to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Anyone know if theres a way to disable the headlight washers? I find them annoying and the X3 already uses so much fluid with front, rear, and headlight. I hate having to fill every 1-2 weeks cause my wife loves washin the windows so often.

Washer fluid should be free at the dealer! Just pull up to a pump and fill lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
AnandS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwym View Post
1.) Mine 2014 X3 comes with map version 2014-2. If yours comes with 2013-1, there must be something went extremely wrong! Double check your map version and production date.
2.) It truly doesn't dim that much, but seems working fine for me.
3.) The premium package on MY14 X3 28i doesn't include Hi-Fi. And yes, the audio system is not good. Hi-Fi comes with Executive package or 35i.
4.) Sadly mine doesn't have Headlamp washer as well. Maybe its just too cold to have them in Canada.
5.) Mine comes with NBT HU, which works great with Siri. It activate when you long press the button. If it doesn't do that for you, you can try go to http://www.bmw.com/update to update your system mobile software.
6.) Mine can save Current Office
I checked my production date. 06/2013. I think Siri/S-Voice integration started in 07/2013. I bet it was made on June 30 too! I checked with the dealer regarding the map version. They're happy to update it for $399.

You are correct, I have Hi-Fi audio from the executive package, not the premium package.

The X3 and Z4 are the only models not to have headlight washers in Canada. I guess BMW Canada considers those to be the fun summer cars. Oh well.

I updated my phone software from 2.33.1 to 2.34.1. No change, which isn't surprising. The release notes say the new software corrects a problem with the onboard internet service, which was already working for me.

I have never been able to get e-mail working in BMW office (except briefly with iOS 6 beta 2, which Apple disabled again by beta 3), so I only use current office with Google Maps/BMW Remote send-to-car. I guess I'll have to live with navigating the entire menu since I can't save anything to the preset buttons except radio stations.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Anyone know if theres a way to disable the headlight washers? I find them annoying and the X3 already uses so much fluid with front, rear, and headlight. I hate having to fill every 1-2 weeks cause my wife loves washin the windows so often.

Yeah there is a way to disable the headlight washers. Got to http://www.codemycar.com/ and he can get you sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post

with auto headlights, move the switch to the #2 position from the left (CW) before washing the windshield. the headlight washers will not spray.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 4.0D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrmann View Post
with auto headlights, move the switch to the #2 position from the left (CW) before washing the windshield. the headlight washers will not spray.
Here in the UK (probably the EU too) headlamp washers MUST be fitted with HID headlights at OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture). They are not fitted with normal tungsten bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #16
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

I was just replying to how I keep the headlight washers from activating. I know not what your response has to with the question I answered.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
gregwym
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandS View Post
I checked my production date. 06/2013. I think Siri/S-Voice integration started in 07/2013. I bet it was made on June 30 too! I checked with the dealer regarding the map version. They're happy to update it for $399.

You are correct, I have Hi-Fi audio from the executive package, not the premium package.

The X3 and Z4 are the only models not to have headlight washers in Canada. I guess BMW Canada considers those to be the fun summer cars. Oh well.

I updated my phone software from 2.33.1 to 2.34.1. No change, which isn't surprising. The release notes say the new software corrects a problem with the onboard internet service, which was already working for me.

I have never been able to get e-mail working in BMW office (except briefly with iOS 6 beta 2, which Apple disabled again by beta 3), so I only use current office with Google Maps/BMW Remote send-to-car. I guess I'll have to live with navigating the entire menu since I can't save anything to the preset buttons except radio stations.
Mine comes with NBT and 2014-2 from 2013/11 production date. I pick up the car on 2014/1, so it might be the dealer kindly made the update to 2014-2 for me.
For budget saving map update, checkout http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896706

Mine is not even Hi-Fi...but I will stick to it until next car. The 2015 version comes with Hi-Fi by default, can upgrade to Harman Kardon, which is great!

The head lamp washer doesn't bother me too much. The cost of having them comes from the customer's pocket anyway.

Email never works on mine either. I can read newly income text msg. I'm using iOS 7.0.6. I can saving anything as shortcut. It's weird that yours cant. You might want to ask your dealer about it.

Btw, mine is NBT. CIC might be different.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 04:51 AM   #18
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

I whole heartedly agree that bmw stereo sound quality is a disgrace. Fixed it before my car left the dealership. Alpine digital amp and Focal speakers; my car didn't even come with tweeters...added those too. Sounds so much better now. The original stereo I all honesty sounds worse than what Toyota puts in it's cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #19
AnandS
Rep

And one more oddity... I drove home on a twisty mountain road Saturday night and discovered I don't have adaptive headlights. I didn't even know BMW made Xenons that aren't adaptive. Again, something my X1 had. I checked the website, and sure enough it's not available on the X3 in Canada.

It seems like BMW Canada is struggling to find margin in the X3 at its current pricing. Why else would a $53K X1 have equipment that's not even offered optionally on a $61K X3?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 4.0D M Sport

No hassle meant, it was just an observation regarding HID and headlamp washers in the UK / Europe as the original post mentioned the washers ;-)).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
kwcbimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandS View Post
Hello everyone,

3.) BMW Canada's premium package upgrades you to "HiFi" audio, which is the crappy base sound system in other countries. No option for a better system on the 28i. Sirius sounds like ass (I mean ass as in buttocks, not auto-start/stop).
I strongly agree. I got my X3 three weeks ago. though I chose executive pkg due mainly to get a beter sound system, it still disappoints me. HI-FI option in Canada doesn't even come with an equalizer!!!

Bad sound made me struggled during the shopping of car. I really like the one in Q5....still don't understand why BMW derates the sound system in a 60k$ car.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #22
AnandS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwym View Post
Mine comes with NBT and 2014-2 from 2013/11 production date. I pick up the car on 2014/1, so it might be the dealer kindly made the update to 2014-2 for me.
For budget saving map update, checkout http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896706

Mine is not even Hi-Fi...but I will stick to it until next car. The 2015 version comes with Hi-Fi by default, can upgrade to Harman Kardon, which is great!

The head lamp washer doesn't bother me too much. The cost of having them comes from the customer's pocket anyway.

Email never works on mine either. I can read newly income text msg. I'm using iOS 7.0.6. I can saving anything as shortcut. It's weird that yours cant. You might want to ask your dealer about it.

Btw, mine is NBT. CIC might be different.
I followed the map update thread and did the NBT 2014-2 update. It worked perfectly -- thanks for the tip.

The dealer updated the software in my car, so now I can save menu shortcuts/nav locations to the preset keys.
Appreciate 0