BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

It took me MULTIPLE attempts to get the stupid wiper to go up so I could wash the car even after reading these instructions. I'm not sure the exact sequence of lock / unlock / hold up there is, but I'm guessing there's a bug.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
It took me MULTIPLE attempts to get the stupid wiper to go up so I could wash the car even after reading these instructions. I'm not sure the exact sequence of lock / unlock / hold up there is, but I'm guessing there's a bug.
Only in a German car could we have this much trouble getting windshield wipers up. Over-engineered just a little?
      10-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
I suspect there is a little bug somewhere as I still get a problem intermittently * and always use the same method: ignition on, ignition off, hold stalk up until blade moves

* I initially started to write "I still get a problem getting it up" and then had a rethink

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #26
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
* I initially started to write "I still get a problem getting it up" and then had a rethink

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #27
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
It is a bit annoying. Especially when I want the up to wash the car and forget to do it when I first shut it off. Then I have to go back and get the key, turn the system on, turn it off again, then hold the lever up.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #28
msgidd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bronze 2014 X3 & 2002 325i

Thumbs up Windshield wiper home state

Thank you so much for clearly explaining the steps. The manual was confusing but since we're expecting more snow in MD, I was determined to find the solution.
Now my new 2014 X3 wiper blades are safe
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
RIbimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 128i, '17 i3 BEV

My wife has a new X3 with a lot more tech than my '09 128i. This wipers issue has had us both stumped for a few days. Despite this very helpful thread, I couldn't get the wipers to stop in the upright position as shown in the photos. I finally stopped by the dealer today and got the tips I needed. Here is what worked for me:

1. Get in car and shut the door.
2. Do not touch the brake pedal.
3. Press and release the start button once. This "wakes up" the car but does not start the ignition.
4. Press and release the start button again. This "sleeps" the car.
5. Raise the wiper stalk all the way and hold for three seconds.
6. Wipers sweep once and stop at fully upright position so they can be lifted away from the glass.

I tried all the methods listed above, but I'll wager everytime I tried this over the weekend I either had my foot on the brake, or I started the engine.

If anyone else was still confused, I hope this helps.
      05-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #30
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I pretty much tried all the combination of this, and can't seem to get them to that parking position...
Main differences are:
+ It's a UK model..
+ It's a manual transmission...

I turned the car on, off, pressed up, down, locked, unlocked, started/stopped the engine etc etc and pretty much every combination thereof !
      05-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #31
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze
I pretty much tried all the combination of this, and can't seem to get them to that parking position...
Main differences are:
+ It's a UK model..
+ It's a manual transmission...

I turned the car on, off, pressed up, down, locked, unlocked, started/stopped the engine etc etc and pretty much every combination thereof !
Can't believe this thread and this issue is still alive. It catches so many people out.

1. Unlock
2. Open driver door
3. Don't sit down, just lean in and press ignition button once (that way you can't have foot on brake pedal) - keep keys in hand though to avoid no engine start warning
4. Ignition is now on, lights light up on dash etc but engine isn't running
5. Press ignition again (lights are back off again)
6. Push wiper stalk as high up as it will go and hold it there until the wiper blades move

If that doesn't work, take to dealer

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0