BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Sunroof noise??

Does anyone know if having a sunroof, as opposed to not, increases the wind or road noise inside the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Only when it's open. If I close the glass roof, I can't notice any noise but impossible to know for sure without a control car with no roof. Close the sun blind and the difference will be even less noticeable. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if it's within budget. Makes a huge difference to the light inside the car. Very pleased with mine although when opening fully at 40mph it can get into positions where you get the air flow resonating which is unbearable and you have to close it slightly to stop the resonance

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks for the info. Having had my X3 for a month I can see the addition of a nice glass roof will add a load of light into the interior.

For me I also see that adding a sunroof will make my re-ordered car a bit more different to existing, more so than any other options I reckon
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I personally never open the sunroof or even the shade. My M3 doesn't have a sunroof, but all my cars prior to that I never even opened it. I personally don't like sun baking my face and arms haha. When it's colder, I don't really care to look up either. I have the sunroof since it's with the premium package. Wow...now looking at how much the premium package is and what you get, it's kind of a shitty deal for the bits I want from it. Oh well.

I guess this doesn't even address your question, but I seriously doubt a non sun roof car is any quieter than a closed glass/shade sunroofed car. You're definitely going to get more noise from the windows anyways.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

While I'm sure there is some wind noise the amount is negligible. Although I haven't experienced wind noise with the X3's sunroof nor in any previous cars any extra inlet for air to come into the car would increase wind noise. Plus the sunroof is sealed off by rubber when closed and we know that sometimes this seal isn't perfect since several members including myself have complained about wind noise by the driver's side door.

All in all I still think you should get the sunroof if you can as it definitely lights up the cabin and makes it feel more lively.

PS: In another thread someone mentioned that having no sunroof adds about 1 inch more of headroom versus getting the panoramic sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
andyoesq
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

I love the sunroof, makes the car feel soooo much more open.
It is a personal decision, but if there is a vote, I +1 for the sunroof
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

I love my sun roof and do not notice any additional noise.
Appreciate 0