BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Just took delivery Saturday.

2013 28i, jet black with black interior. Tech, premium, cold weather, comfort access, convenience, and a couple stand alone add ons. Nice car! Only 50 mi on it now but already averaging 20 mpg. And I live in a very hilly area so that is very good, esp considering the engine isn't broken in. The auto start/ stop feature is great. Works very well. The EcoPro mode is pretty cool too. Though if you turn it on before your at cruising speed, it puts a definite lag in the engine. However, when you do turn it on at cruising speed all you notice is that your gaining mileage, don't get me wrong, you put your foot in the floor in both EcoPro and Sport and the difference is night and day, but all in all EcoPro is a pretty good thing in my opinion.
I am pretty impressed with the sport setting. I also have an 08 X5 4.8i with sport package and adaptive drive. I must say that the sport mode in the X3 provides for better driving dynamics than the sport button on my X5. In EcoPro or comfort modes, body roll definitely exists and , though in comfort it's not sluggish, the transmission settings aren't bad and it will still move pretty good. Once you put it in sport mode and step on it you really do have to remind yourself that it's only a 4 cylinder under the hood, this car moves! That, along with body roll all but completely disappearing really makes for a pretty impressive little car.
Overall, so far I'm very pleased with the car. It rides very well. It is quiet and handles impeccably. Only one thing to note on and I wouldn't consider it a negative. The motor sounds so strange! It honestly sounds like a small diesel. Inside the cabin the exhaust note while driving and accelerating is gratifying, but at idle, while standing outside the car, it does sound a little funny. Oh well. That's the price to pay for an sav that has effectively the same interior cargo space a the first gen X5 AND averages 24 mpg. I think I'll deal with a funky little motor sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
M3 CSL
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

No pics???
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Talking me too

Congratulations!

When will you ever be standing along side when it is still running? So maybe the four banger sound is not a concern. I wonder if it sounds like the BMW of old

My 28i JetBlack, Oyster, Sport pkg, Connivence pkg, Tech pkg, Premium pkg,Cold Weather pkg and cargo net is expected in two week but not really sure about ship arrival in Anchorage.

What sounds good is MPG. I know I will be doing most of my driving around town but I probably will be temped to sport it at least in the beginning if my old dog in not riding in the back. Have had too much time to consider add-on like Clear Car Armor? and a Cargo Liner by CanvasBack?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

No pics yet. Can't upload from iPhone and I rarely touch the pc.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Akview, sweet! Congrats! I actually grew up in North Pole outside Fairbanks. And she just filled the yak today for the first time. With this engine you don't need to run premium anymore. The min octane recommended is 89 so you can get away with mid grade. And without the engine even being broken in an driving the wicked upstate new York hills she still averages 22 mpg. Not too bad! Good luck with yours!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

I bet the run to girdwood will be sweet in that bad boy. Sure wish I had my X5 up there. Would LOVE to let her fly on the Parks up to Fairbanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

So did you get the adaptive lights? I hope so. They are invaluable. And you really should run up to fairbanks. The stretch from Nenana to Fbks is one of my fav stretches of road anywhere. The run from Fbks to Chena Hot Springs is pretty great too. Fantastic corner at mi 36 just before Granite Quartz park. Man. I do envy you getting to drive up there. Traffic around here SUCKS!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

And no. The sound isn't a concern. And your right. You don't hear it from the outside much. It does kinda sound like the older bimmers. It's prolly more prevalent for me cause it's such a huge contrast from the 4.8 in my X5. Hitting the start button on it gets my blood pumping. The X3... Not so much. But all that is lost once you start driving. I'm sure your gonna love it. And the Oyster interior is sweet! I was gonna order one for her with the oyster interior after checking out a 2012 they had on the lot with that interior, but my friend owns the dealership and gave me such a good deal on this one I really couldn't pass it up. I didn't think I was gonna like the black on black, thinking it was gonna be really dark inside. But as it doesn't have sport activity the headliner is the lighter color. That, with the big pano roof and the white contrast stitching everywhere really helped it so it's not dark feeling at all. I'm really not a fan of dark interiors, esp in places where it's dark alot of the time, such as AK or upstate NY, due to the incessant cloud cover here most of the time. My X5 has the sapphire black metallic with sand beige interior and I really really like that combo. When it finally comes time to order my X5M I will definitely get the Oyster interior with Piano black trim. Sooooooo sexy.
Congrats man. Lemme know when it comes in!
Appreciate 0