BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

No Run Flat Tire Plan / Other "Safety" Supplies

Hey guys,

My situation...

So after only 13500 miles on my Continental ContiSportContact 3 RFT it looks like I need to start thinking about new tires. I did a little research and found out I could get 5 (3 fronts / 2 rears) Continental ExtremeContact DW and another wheel for about the same price as 4 new ContiSportContact 3 RFT wheels. The ExtremeContact DW's have a higher tread life, presumably a higher performance, less rotating mass, and presumably better ride comfort than the RFTs.

My question is this...

1. If I tote around a full size in the trunk is the TPMS going to be confused about which sensor to monitor?
2. If I install the full size spare how do I register the sensor with the TPMS system so it is tracking the newly installed wheel and not the one I just took off?

Thanks!

Last edited by paul386; 12-21-2011 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
Hey guys,

My situation...

So after only 13500 miles on my Continental ContiSportContact 3 RFT it looks like I need to start thinking about new tires. I did a little research and found out I could get 5 (3 fronts / 2 rears) Continental ExtremeContact DW and another wheel for about the same price as 4 new ContiSportContact 3 RFT wheels. The ExtremeContact DW's have a higher tread life, presumably a higher performance, less rotating mass, and presumably better ride comfort than the RFTs.

My question is this...

1. If I tote around a full size in the trunk is the TPMS going to be confused about which sensor to monitor?
2. If I install the full size spare how do I register the sensor with the TPMS system so it is tracking the newly installed wheel and not the one I just took off?

Thanks!
1. The TPMS should not respond to the spare tire in the trunk since it's not rotating and its transmitter should not be on. It also will be shielded from the TPMS pick-up antennas by the metal trunk floor. The TPMS transmitters are battery powered active devices that transmit at 433 mHz. They shut down to conserve battery power when the wheel is not rotating.

2. As soon as you mount the spare, you should go through the quick TPM reset procedure which will recognize the "new" transmitter. Takes about 0.6 miles to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
1. The TPMS should not respond to the spare tire in the trunk since it's not rotating and its transmitter should not be on. It also will be shielded from the TPMS pick-up antennas by the metal trunk floor. The TPMS transmitters are battery powered active devices that transmit at 433 mHz. They shut down to conserve battery power when the wheel is not rotating.

2. As soon as you mount the spare, you should go through the quick TPM reset procedure which will recognize the "new" transmitter. Takes about 0.6 miles to work.
Cool. I figured that the sensor in the tire would be rotation sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
Cool. I figured that the sensor in the tire would be rotation sensitive.
Yep, it's a nice system, EXCEPT if you get a flat due to an overnight slow leak and don't notice it, the warning won't go off until you've driven a block or two.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post

Was driving one day, it has the same warning, then I initialised it. Didn't had a nail until recently when dealer said the tyre looks abit low in air. I took the car in for fixing for other stuffs. Dont really like RFT
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No one could get the ExtremeContact DW in the 275-40-19's until spring and it was the same story for the Yokohama's S.drive that was my 2nd choice. I ended up getting Hankook Evo something or other summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have been doing a lot of reading on these forums and some other research. I have a few questions / comments I was hoping for suggestions / opinions on.

- I bought a 8.5" (front) OEM (style 309) wheel and an extra tire which I plan to store in the trunk. The tires I got are directional so there is a 50% chance I would experience a flat on the side that would be undesirable but I figure that it is not a huge deal in an emergency situation. In hind sight I could of just gotten a cheaper / non directional tire to put on my spare.
- I bought the Jack Pad that Lotus has recommended, a 17mm deep socket wrench, a "breaker" bar for removing the wheel, and a torque wrench for installing a new wheel.
- I also bought a tire tote to protect the interior of my car from the spare tire as well as the dirty changed wheel in the event of a tire change.

My questions:

- Is there a good mobile jack that anyone can recommend? BMW makes one but it isn't listed when you search for accessories by X3. This is the case for a lot of accessories so I wonder if someone forgot to "tick" the box or it really isn't compatible because of wheel travel. Amazon seems to indicate it isn't compatible with X's.
- Lotus recommended (I think he said he carries) a Griot's Tire Repair Kit in all of his cars. This comes with the necessary items to plug a nail / screw puncture and can be had with an air compressor. This seems like a much better option than a SLIME style kit that fills your car with sealant because it is a "permanent" solution. Is this the best kit to get (SLIME does sell some kits similar to this) and is this a mutually exclusive repair option? In other words is there any reason to carry this kit and a SLIME style goo kit?
- Are these any other items that people would recommend having in their cars for the "Ohh shit" moments. I am putting together a list of items I would like to have in my car to be prepared for the worst. I like cheap lessons and getting a flat where I was able to drive to DiscountTire and have it repaired was a cheap enough lesson that I know I want to be prepared for Murphy.
- BMW sells Space Saver Spares but there are none listed that work with the X3. There might be some that happen to be similar wheel size / bolt pattern. Anyone know of these?

My "kit":

17mm deep socket wrench
Torque Wrench (20-150 ft*lb Craftsman)
Breaker Bar
Flash Light
Multitool
Magnet Retrieval Tool
Claw Retrieval Tool
Extendable Mirror (like what machinist love)
Multimeter
"Mobile" Car Jack
Jack Pad
Lug Bolt / Wheel Guides
Full Size Spare Wheel / Tire / Tire Tote
Battery Charger
Jumper Cables
Tire Repair Kit / 12V Compressor or maybe SLIME
Tire Pressure Gauge
First Aid Kit
Quart of Oil
Gallon of Coolant
Zip Ties
Power Inverter
Zip Dies
Duct Tape

I am hoping to organize and fit all of this (if possible) and obviously with the exception of the wheel in that small space under the trunk floor or in other cubbies in the car (like the glove box).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

We keep this plug kit on the back of the X3.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T.../dp/B000ET525K

Have been using this and similar products on various tires and sizes for years with no problem. Well actually only have to use it maybe once every 2-3 years but it works great for punctures.

I would avoid putting slime in you tires at all costs. Maybe it is something you want to have as a last ditch effort to fix your tire but that stuff is nasty. I've been at the local tire shop when they were trying to clean it out and it was a pain to say the least. Plus with the TPMS (although they are sealed) I wouldn't want to introduce that stuff to the inside of my tire.

Looks like you have a pretty robust list of stuff to keep in the X3, only other thing I would add is a nice set of work gloves and maybe an old blanket to keep you clean and dry while you are doing your roadside repair. You may also want to ditch the gallon of coolant. These sealed systems are very reliable and if you start to run low on a trip you will get a warning well before any catastrophic failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
We keep this plug kit on the back of the X3.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T.../dp/B000ET525K

Have been using this and similar products on various tires and sizes for years with no problem. Well actually only have to use it maybe once every 2-3 years but it works great for punctures.

I would avoid putting slime in you tires at all costs. Maybe it is something you want to have as a last ditch effort to fix your tire but that stuff is nasty. I've been at the local tire shop when they were trying to clean it out and it was a pain to say the least. Plus with the TPMS (although they are sealed) I wouldn't want to introduce that stuff to the inside of my tire.

Looks like you have a pretty robust list of stuff to keep in the X3, only other thing I would add is a nice set of work gloves and maybe an old blanket to keep you clean and dry while you are doing your roadside repair. You may also want to ditch the gallon of coolant. These sealed systems are very reliable and if you start to run low on a trip you will get a warning well before any catastrophic failure.
Hi, what is slime and how it is used?

As mentioned before, I had a screw straight thru the RFT and dealer had to change a new one. Hardly driven the car, only did 1484km (x3 20d). I took the punctured tyre back and was wondering if it can be fixed.

Is it worthwhile converting RFT to the norm tyres?
Appreciate 0