BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #67
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Really? Good luck with that!
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #68
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post
Filski-good luck w/ your decision...of course I have my preference...8 months later I still find myself wandering into my garage in the evening w/ a cold beer to just gaze at it...but I digress...anyway, you mentioned that you mtn bike-me too...one thing I did before I ordered was I took my size large 29" wheel bike to the dealer to confirm that it fit inside-does, with no problem...I have actually gotten 2 bikes inside-laid down, w/ a heavy blanket in between. Fitting a bike inside was key for me as I travel and like to keep it locked inside if I'm traveling for a few days...not sure you could do this w/ the RR...
Same here with the mtb - needs to fit inside (for solo trips when not using a rack). There is only 7cm difference in length so not likely to be an issue. I only have 26" wheels though.

More of an issue is our parking space which has a Vespa at the rear. The length difference will be important.

So far, there are no alarming differences on the forums, in issues of reliability - both have their fair share. What is slightly concerning is that the BMW issues are still just as common as earlier in the year which may mean BMW is not addressing them. The same will equally apply to the RRE.

Now that our ancient Mazda has had its first real failure in the front struts (which I've been expecting - but try and talk your wife into getting rid of her first car!), a decision is imminent.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #69
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Filski,

I understand your current Mazda just died but the CX-5 was also on my shopping list. But unfortunately Mazda confirmed they aren't going to release the diesel in Canada.. Donno about Oz but the oil burner will have 310 lb/ft of torque... might be worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #70
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

First head to head of the X3 and Evoque, looks like the Evoque won over X3 in almost every dept, jeez!
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...208-1okfi.html
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #71
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
First head to head of the X3 and Evoque, looks like the Evoque won over X3 in almost every dept, jeez!
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...208-1okfi.html
I think to put things into perpective you have to remember the comparison is with the X3 20d. This 2 litre 4 cylinder diesel engine is the least impressive of the X3's engine lineup. When I test drove the 20d I was not impressed. Yes the engine is a little on the noisy side and I don't think it really handles the weight of the X3 (in much the same way the equivalent 2 litre diesel in Audi's Q5 also struggles). Also the Australian spec X3 20d is a little spartan on standard features and doesn't even have leather as standard.

If I was limited to this level of budget, yes the Evoque would have come into consideration. However if this was the case, I would have most likely ended up with neither. At this price level my choice would have been the XC60 D5.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #72
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Interesting review and light on details but ultimately a similar finding - the X3 is unbeatable if you won't ever venture far from the bitumen.

Tony - for many people a bigger engine is not an option due to budget. While I'd love a 30D it's just not possible to talk the wife into parting with that much cash. So the evoque is a fair comparison. I happened to drive the Volvo too and am puzzled why you'd choose that instead. The X3 is far better IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #73
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
This 2 litre 4 cylinder diesel engine is the least impressive of the X3's engine lineup. When I test drove the 20d I was not impressed. Yes the engine is a little on the noisy side and I don't think it really handles the weight of the X3 (in much the same way the equivalent 2 litre diesel in Audi's Q5 also struggles).
Speaking as someone who owns a 2.0d Q5 and has recently ordered a 30d X3 after driving both that and the 20d, I totally agree. In the past I've tried to sum it up thus: the 2.0d engines in these cars never really 'struggle' but equally they never really fly- whereas the sixes are just effortless. I would advise anyone looking at a similar decision to start with the biggest engine you can afford and then spend what is left on options, not the other way around. You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #74
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

I currently run a Freelander 2 and saw the Evoque as the natural successor to it and put a deposit down on one back in June before it was launched to the public. When I drove it, I had second thoughts. I couldn't adjust the seat enough to get comfortable - no tilt on the squab. The ride was nothing like as comfortable as on my Freelander, being very joggly on anything other than a totally smooth surface. The view out over the bonnet isn't as commanding as in the Freelander, the instruments are a mess and you get a real sense of claustrophobia in it with the narrow side windows. As I wanted the Sd4 automatic version in Dynamic spec - it was going to cost me over £40000 and I just didn't see the worth of it in the end for a car that's no bigger than a Golf. I was therefore going to go for the X3 2.0D but once I drove the 35D, my mind was made up and the Evoque order cancelled!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #75
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Filski, I have to agree 100% with your post. I too drove both cars back to back and had the same impressions.

I told my wife that i wanted to enjoy DRIVING my next car after driving boring cars for the last 15 years.

My impression is the rr is the car to buy if you plan to go off road and the bimmer is the one you want on road. Personally I couldn't see myself taking either car off road so the bimmer got the nod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
Did a back to back comparison today (X3 20D as its t he only fair comparison).

Comment from my wife sums it up "I wish the evoque drove like the X3"

Interior much nicer on the evoque, equal cabin room - really! Better finishes overall and makes the X3 seem a bit plain. Cargo space is 10cm longer on the X3 too for those that need it. Acceleration is identical. But the BMW is far far far better handling on road at least - goes around corners on rails and responds to some spirited driving. But off road the evoque is much better.

And yes the red is as good as the photos - take note BMW, not everyone want black white or grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #76
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Interesting review and light on details but ultimately a similar finding - the X3 is unbeatable if you won't ever venture far from the bitumen.

Tony - for many people a bigger engine is not an option due to budget. While I'd love a 30D it's just not possible to talk the wife into parting with that much cash. So the evoque is a fair comparison. I happened to drive the Volvo too and am puzzled why you'd choose that instead. The X3 is far better IMO.
+1 where I am stuck with either the N20 20i petrol or the diesel 20d with 4 options at 70k euro. The 30d and 35d are 90k and 100k respectively with no options ie no leather, no pdc, no auto, no memory seats etc etc

Last edited by Bimar; 12-11-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #77
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
+1 where I am stuck with either the N20 20i petrol or the diesel 20d with 4 options at 70k euro. The 30d and 35d are 90k and 100k respectively with no options ie no leather, no pdc, no auto, no memory seats etc etc
whoa! it never crossed my mind that i'd feel like i got a "bargain" with a us$50k vehicle [35i, prem, prem sound, sap, tech]. thanks, i guess...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #78
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
whoa! it never crossed my mind that i'd feel like i got a "bargain" with a us$50k vehicle [35i, prem, prem sound, sap, tech]. thanks, i guess...
Adds new meaning to "God Bless The USA"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #79
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Thats a matter of opinon. Performance between the two are about equal, but I found the XC60 was a better balance between ride comfort and handling. And it has a spare tyre (albeit a space saver). This is my first BMW and I come from a recent history of Volvos which have proven to be very reliable (we still have a C30 T5 as our second car). If I can get the same long term reliability out of my BMW then I will be a very happy man. By the time you've optioned up the two so you can compare equally, the X3 20d was nearly A$8k more expensive. We were all set to place an order for the XC60 but in the end it was the availability of the 30d engine in the X3 that won us over even if it was about A$14k more expensive then the Volvo.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #80
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Looks like the Evoque crash tests not that stellar either, Go X3!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/152150/m...ancap-ratings/
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #81
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Looks like the Evoque crash tests not that stellar either, Go X3!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/152150/m...ancap-ratings/
It sucks but even though the X3 has a better crash test rating along with being better than the Evoque in most other categories it will still probably win the 2012 North American Car and Truck of the Year.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #82
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Quote:
Thats a matter of opinon. Performance between the two are about equal, but I found the XC60 was a better balance between ride comfort and handling. And it has a spare tyre (albeit a space saver). This is my first BMW and I come from a recent history of Volvos which have proven to be very reliable (we still have a C30 T5 as our second car). If I can get the same long term reliability out of my BMW then I will be a very happy man. By the time you've optioned up the two so you can compare equally, the X3 20d was nearly A$8k more expensive. We were all set to place an order for the XC60 but in the end it was the availability of the 30d engine in the X3 that won us over even if it was about A$14k more expensive then the Volvo.

Tony
I was in the same position. I am driving a C70 D5 and had a V70 before that. The styling on the XC60 is good but the things that persuaded me to the X3 were:

3.0d is way better than the D5 which is getting a bit tired

Handling was miles better - our test XC didn't like corners

Technology in the X3 was better

Cabin felt more roomy

I live near Birmingham and there are loads of Evoques on the road now. They look like a piano has fallen on them! I suspect that most of all these vehicles will rarely go off road and that road manners and refinement will be more important. I am not convinced the Evoque is better in either respect.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #83
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Seeing that this thread is being quite popular, I think Land Rover already succeeded in Evoque project because what we actually should be comparing Evoque with among BMW model range should be X1, not X3. Evoque seems to be giving the impression that it belongs to an upper segment, but in fact "upper" maybe only pricewise .
Appreciate 0