BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Lamdog
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3 SMG

Trailer Hitch

Hi does anyone have any information or picture for a trailer hitch for the new X3? I've seen a couple installed, but the bumper had to be cut ... was hoping that there be a better install out there.

I have a bike rack and small Uhaul trailer that I tow every once in a while ...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

have you seen mine? Yeah they have cut a bit under it but nothing visible + this is approved by BMW Canada for those leasing.

My dealer is working with them since many years and they do the best job possible with the car configuration. Look under the car, there is not much choice to attache it so it can pull 3000lbs.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
halohead52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 TS w/Mojave

Garage List
2011 F25 28i  [0.00]
2006 E46 330 CiC  [0.00]
My dealer tells me there are no specs yet for a hitch, and I've tried to get my alternative local mechanic to install one but he refused to touch the job. I understand we will not get the European electric version, which is fine. But it's very frustrating not to be able to get something installed. I envy frankwin. Dealer told me it would be April, now he says June. BMWUSA would not give me an ETA. I bought the vehicle in part because I would be able to tow. Otherwise I would have kept my vert!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halohead52 View Post
I bought the vehicle in part because I would be able to tow. Otherwise I would have kept my vert!
Same for me, the hitch was mandatory and not something like the electric one we have seen because I want to fit different ball size and a bicycle rack.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

Same here! Pretty disappointed as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by halohead52 View Post
My dealer tells me there are no specs yet for a hitch, and I've tried to get my alternative local mechanic to install one but he refused to touch the job. I understand we will not get the European electric version, which is fine. But it's very frustrating not to be able to get something installed. I envy frankwin. Dealer told me it would be April, now he says June. BMWUSA would not give me an ETA. I bought the vehicle in part because I would be able to tow. Otherwise I would have kept my vert!
Hmmm, where in the US information dud you see anything about towing or a trailer hitch for the F25? I'd like the capability, too, but BMW never suggested it was available on a US F25 as far as I ever encountered. Still a bummer.
      05-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Hmmm, where in the US information dud you see anything about towing or a trailer hitch for the F25? I'd like the capability, too, but BMW never suggested it was available on a US F25 as far as I ever encountered. Still a bummer.
They may not have suggested it to you, but they did to me. Me:"Not buying unless there's a towing package in the near future". Them:"In April". So I'm waiting for it in April Them:"In August." (email from BMWNA). I've got two emails confirming a towing package for the 2011 X3, and I'm willing to wait for the August date.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Ah, apologies, was thinking about the web pages and stuff. That's a bummer if they told you it'd be available and it's not. Oh, just read again. BMW NA says it's coming? That's good, if late. I'd like to have it, too. Mostly for a bike rack.
      05-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Lamdog
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3 SMG

Thank you guys ... it looks like the consistent input thus far is "no" trailer dealer hitch option. I like the hitch on the 2nd post reply, but that involves cutting out part of the bumper ... which I am trying to avoid.

I guess I will hold out just a bit longer to see what happens.

Btw, my dealer tells me, the 2012 will start production in Sept. Hoperfully by then the option list will be added.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
cer2225
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwin View Post
have you seen mine? Yeah they have cut a bit under it but nothing visible + this is approved by BMW Canada for those leasing.

My dealer is working with them since many years and they do the best job possible with the car configuration. Look under the car, there is not much choice to attache it so it can pull 3000lbs.

Frankwin,

What brand and model is that?

Thanks
-CR
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cer2225 View Post
Frankwin,

What brand and model is that?

Thanks
-CR
This is custom made, third-party. It is perfect for my needs because I can change ball size easily or attach the bicycle rack.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
Binas_daddy
Mid-life compromise
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i F25 N55 Z8

Can you pass along the contact info for the maker of your custom 2" receiver rig? How did you accomplish the electronic (lights, brakes?) integration with the car? Did you add a transmission cooler?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

This is made by a local company so that won't be very useful for you. They did all the electrical wiring so lights and brakes will work fine. There is no transmission cooler, this is for light duty tow. I doubt you can install something like this on an X3 and if heavy duty is needed, I think the X3 is not the car, would be better to get a real American pickup
Appreciate 0