BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2015, 03:09 AM   #1
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i M Sport

2016 28I MSport Finally Arrived...already thinking about mods

So after waiting for 5 months almost to the day that I ordered it, my long awaited first ever BMW arrived a few days ago. I posted pics on the "official" photo posting section of the forum (http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=456656&page=3) I'm the last poster, so you'll have to scroll all the way to the bottom of a very long page to see my pics.

First thing I noticed when I got the car is the huge wheel well gap, especially in the rear. I think this is highlighted by the extra low profile tires that I have. So first thing that came to mind is either a magnetic or air adjustable suspension set up that will not mess with the Dynamic Handling. I'm wondering if anyone has done this set up on their X3.

I'm also a fan of aftermarket exhausts and wondering if anyone can make a recommendation on a good set up for the X3 since it is after all an Msport model so having a little louder exhaust tone is probably not a bad thing. I'd be curios what it would sound like before even considering purchasing it though since I've never heard a BMW SUV with one.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

There is a guy from Switzerland - "Richyxx" - on the X4 forum with a 35d, which has installed airride and other features.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Now you can find the threads on top of X4 threads: Richi 0303 and Lowered X4
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Although I am biased with my research into the aerodynamics of our X3, it would be an interesting exercise if BMW could run Richy's X4 with its mods in their wind-tunnel compared with a stock X4. Selfishly, I would be interested to see how the Cd would change at high speed when the frame was lowered for it would translate over to us as well (albeit to a lesser degree given the X4's physical form), especially as the air suspension is on our 'Wish list'.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep

My general experience from windtunnel tests:
-lowering means less air under vehicle= slightly less drag (Cd) - almost same at all speeds. In the region of 5% of total drag.
-tilting forward would probably have same impact - only slightly more so.

I can - of course - not feel any difference of the Cd on my - 1 1/2 inch - lowered X4, but more so on: steering precision, steer-into-a-curve, straight ahead stability and sidewindsensitivity- and not-so-positive: ridecomfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:45 AM   #6
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

I would suggest getting a muffler delete or a catless downpipe or both.
A flash tune would be best and would allow you to run catless downpipe without any indication on the dash.
A must would be tint for the windows, some better tires, and blacked out grilles.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #7
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Now you can find the threads on top of X4 threads: Richi 0303 and Lowered X4
Thanks Tjalle! That X4 does look sleek when lowered. I didn't realize that an air suspension system can take up so much room. It pretty much takes all of the space on the spare tire well. I'm not sure if I'm willing to do that especially that the X3's storage is already minimal as it is. It'd be interested to know if he has Dynamic Handling, and if so if it affected it, like throw some kind of error code or cause it to malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Richi has everything on his vehicle, but they had to take out springs AND shocks when installing the airride.

It should not cause the VDC to malfunction, but probably trigger an error code - which seem to be easy to correct.

I only changed springs to lower mine, which is a compromise - I am now slightly riding on bumpstops. The correct way to do this is, of course, to also change to shorter shocks - preferrably with adjustable shocks.

One of the German tuning companies might have this - but it will not come cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 03:24 AM   #9
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge92 View Post
I would suggest getting a muffler delete or a catless downpipe or both.
A flash tune would be best and would allow you to run catless downpipe without any indication on the dash.
A must would be tint for the windows, some better tires, and blacked out grilles.
Thanks for the suggestion mge. I saw the video you posted with the exhaust set up you have on your car. I was hoping for something louder actually, what would you recommend?

I've already did the tint job early this week as I too need to have those in there.

I'm not sure how a black out grill would look on a black car, but it does offer an attractive contrast on a white car. I did see a blacked out X3 with a black grill but wasn't that attractive to me and I'm not sure if it was because of the fact that everything was black.

Tuning might come later when I feel the need for more than what it got, or perhaps gets assigned to Germany so I can drive it in the Autobahn
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 03:36 AM   #10
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAG View Post
Thanks for the suggestion mge. I saw the video you posted with the exhaust set up you have on your car. I was hoping for something louder actually, what would you recommend?

I've already did the tint job early this week as I too need to have those in there.

I'm not sure how a black out grill would look on a black car, but it does offer an attractive contrast on a white car. I did see a blacked out X3 with a black grill but wasn't that attractive to me and I'm not sure if it was because of the fact that everything was black.

Tuning might come later when I feel the need for more than what it got, or perhaps gets assigned to Germany so I can drive it in the Autobahn
Well Remus just released an exhaust for our cars but it is so new that they have not released any videos or sounds files. I would suggest doing a custom muffler system if you want louder sound with a catless downpipe. The video below is what it would sound like with a catless DP and I would suggest Evolution Racewerks. If you do go catless DP I would highly suggest going with a tune at the same time due to in fact when you go catless your engine check light will come on because you are catless. You can of course code that out but tuning the 28i does wonders

Last edited by mge92; 08-14-2015 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:22 AM   #11
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Well Remus just released an exhaust for our cars but it is so new that they have not released any videos or sounds files. I would suggest doing a custom muffler system if you want louder sound with a catless downpipe. The video below is what it would sound like with a catless DP and I would suggest Evolution Racewerks. If you do go catless DP I would highly suggest going with a tune at the same time due to in fact when you go catless your engine check light will come on because you are catless. You can of course code that out but tuning the 28i does wonders

Whoaa...thanks for sharing that sound clip, but it is definitely not something I want to do. It sounds like a car with a busted muffler. It definitely took the X3 to a few notches lower in terms of its status as a luxury vehicle.

I'd be interested with what Remus sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:07 AM   #12
exilio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d

Not sure what the new Remus may sound like, but I have a clip of a Remus exhaust I REALLY like..not sure if it is catless (It's on an E83 not the newer F25) or what since the description is in German--sounds fantastic to me though.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exilio View Post
Not sure what the new Remus may sound like, but I have a clip of a Remus exhaust I REALLY like..not sure if it is catless (It's on an E83 not the newer F25) or what since the description is in German--sounds fantastic to me though.

This unfortunately is the old x3 so it is highly unlikely the remus muffler for the f25 will sound like this.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #14
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
This unfortunately is the old x3 so it is highly unlikely the remus muffler for the f25 will sound like this.
This one sounds like a straight pipe Honda civic. I find deep low tone growl exhaust sound much more attractive than high pitched ones. I've heard of 4 cylinder engines with such sound before, but I'm not sure if the manufacturers make them for X3.
Appreciate 0