BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
Callaway
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M-sport 2012

Whining, resonance noise when driving

Hi,
Iīm experiencing some low whining/whistling/humming (resonance) noise from somewhere in the front of the car, i think its from the right side but itīs not that loud.

BMW X3 -12 with barely 70000 km on the meter.

The noise is not loud and is most easy to hear when the car is rolling with gear. When the car roll in neutral the sound disappear and as soon as i press down the clutch the sound starts again....

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
Hi,
Iīm experiencing some low whining/whistling/humming (resonance) noise from somewhere in the front of the car, i think its from the right side but itīs not that loud.

BMW X3 -12 with barely 70000 km on the meter.

The noise is not loud and is most easy to hear when the car is rolling with gear. When the car roll in neutral the sound disappear and as soon as i press down the clutch the sound starts again....

Any thoughts?
Very very difficult doing fault diagnosis on a forum especially for a whining noise that some people might say is normal transmission noise.

Eventually one of the guesses posed by forum posters will be correct.

The best and most sensible suggestion is go to your local dealer. If it is still under warranty then you might get a satisfactory solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Callaway
Sweden
Rep

Thanks for replying!
Yes, I know. But in my experience itīs good to have some input before you let the mechanics start searching for faults with the taxometer on, and Iīm just outside the warranty....

Perhaps itīs just normal transmission sounds and Iīm a bit to sensitive to sounds from the car. Had two warning texts with overheated clutch this summer when on a roadtrip in Italy in steep roads and massive queues...

But I still thinks itīs to loud not to have noticed before the trip even if itīs not at grinding or whining like in many clips on Youtube. Mine is more of a loud resonance sound when the car deaccelerates with gear and disappears totally when on free roll without gear.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

If you are just out of warranty, do you have the option to extend it?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Callaway
Sweden
Rep

No, I bought the car 14 month ago with the premium selection warranty which just ended last month...
PS-warranty here in Sweden is one year or 20000 km.

So the "only" thing left is the engine, vehicle damage, etc insurance.

Tried to listen extra hard for any strange sounds on my way home from work. What I can hear is a low humming very low whistling sound from the front/engine area that stops right after putting it into neutral gear when driving. But still, perhaps it was there before and I just didnīt notice it. But i donīt think so....

Last edited by Callaway; 09-01-2015 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Callaway
Sweden
Rep

The sound is getting louder (it comes and goes though and disappears in higher speeds). Had a neighbour listen to the sound to make sure iīm not imagining stuff, and itīs definitely there. Somewhere from the left front side
A rotating whining sound stops when you put in neutral gear and let up the clutch. As soon as I push down the clutch pedal the sound starts again, even without putting it into gear. Just rolling with the clutch pedal to the floor makes the sound to start...

Went to the local mecanics today. They thought it might be the pinion, but they were not sure without more checking. So I booked a time next week.

Does the pinion make sense? After 42000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 04:46 AM   #7
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

It sounds to me like a clutch release bearing issue, not heard of that a lot on x3's but it's a relatively common problem on manual cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Callaway
Sweden
Rep

My X3 has a manual gearbox. After some driving today listening carefully when and how it sounds:
Most clear when driving the first 10-15 minutes
Same level of sound regardless of speed or rpm
The rotating/whining (somekind of spinning bearing) noise stops a couple of seconds after putting into neutral and releasing the clutch.
When in "free roll" and pressing down the clutch the sounds start again, same thing if i put it into any gear.
When I parked the car it felt like some "glitches"/grabbing in first gear when once or twice driving slow into the garage.
After some lunch I drove off again and noise was less/almost gone. This has happened before that the noise decreases or even disappears time to time while driving.
A second drive in the evening and the noise was back....

Iīm not quite sure how the clutch release bearing works, but would a bad one make noise both with clutch pressed down as well as with normal driving in gear?

What kind of bearing stops rotating when I put into neutral gear and starts again when pressing down the clutch?

Last edited by Callaway; 09-19-2015 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Callaway
Sweden
Rep

After a day of at the local dealer theyīve narrowed it down to two possible faults (something with the front drivetrain diff? or transfer case/diff). Next step will be to take it apart and see which part is the faulty one and then order it from Germany, since these parts arenīt in stock anywhere in Sweden. Ahg...what a nightmare!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
My X3 manual 2.0L makes a slightly whinny noise when driving from cold. Disappears a couple minutes in; I assume it's warming up something... Seems different than yours.

Make sure to have them check the pedal box, there was a recall on that -- they changed mine at my last service (that's my third now!)
      09-29-2015, 03:09 AM   #11
Callaway
Sweden
Rep

Yes Iīve heard that whining sound as well and itīs not the same. Disappears after a while.
Mine is going in for repairs next week.

Do you know why there was a recall on the pedal box? Never heard of it here in Scandinavia.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #12
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
Yes Iīve heard that whining sound as well and itīs not the same. Disappears after a while.
Mine is going in for repairs next week.

Do you know why there was a recall on the pedal box? Never heard of it here in Scandinavia.
Well, my first one never was 'right' and in fact, it stayed stuck a couple of times as I was driving... It eventually broke down in the middle of nowhere, and had to have the car towed away... they replaced the box with a 'fixed' one...
Note that I reported problems with the clutch several time to the garage, and of course, they never found anything wrong with it... surprised?

... and now at the service, they changed it *again* for apparently, a new, new one. Altho, I don't think it works as good as the #2 version, which was smoother than this one (it squeaks a bit)

You'd have thought that BMW after 100 years would have figured out how to make clutch pedals, wouldn't you...?
      10-02-2015, 04:29 AM   #13
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post

You'd have thought that BMW after 100 years would have figured out how to make clutch pedals, wouldn't you...?
No. They do not make them. It is a subcontractor. The same with many components.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #14
Callaway
Sweden
Rep

Well, after a day at the mechanics it seems like itīs the front diff making the noise/sound.
According to them it was worn and the oil was real bad...
All covered by the drivetrain insurance

Still wondering over the click sound my clutch pedal makes half way down and up. The click, almost like ballpoint pen only occurs when itīs warm. Cold mornings itīs gone...
Will have them look into that as well.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Don't know if it is the same whining noise I heard for so long that 3 dealerships could not hear, but it ended up being the rear differential. After it was replaced, the sound was gone.
Appreciate 0