BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
mgoblue62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Just go drive one and drive the Audi. Totally different feeling to the two.

If you want to really see what the X3 can do, take delivery at the Performance Center in SC. They put you in one on the track and off-road course.

This is an amazing machine! Doesn't act like an SUV.

P.S. The female in my life loved driving the X3 in SC. Sadly, she rarely gets wheel time now.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #24
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
A girls car is like a 207CC... no one would call an X3 SUV a girls car!

Im 100% happy with ours, and the girl in the 207CC I left at the lights yesterday was a bit impressed too!
I used to own a 206cc
It was one of the most fun cars I've owned
And I'm male
      07-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #25
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I buy the bect car possible
Not what my gender says
We test drove the x3, glk, and q5
We both proffered the x3
Glk is smaller inside, interior looks cheap, really cheap
Q5 looks great, very nice interior, but not fun to drive at all
X3 looks good, nice interior, and the most fun to drive.
I'd rather have a car that is viewed as a female car, but that is fun to drive
Than to go out and buy a male friendly Car that doesn't give me any pleasure to drive
      07-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #26
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei
Not what my gender says
We both proffered the x3
Than to go out and buy a male friendly Car that doesn't give me any pleasure to drive
I trust your opinion cause you have senna as your avatar. Did you test drive the baby Rang Rover?
      07-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I drove the RR... I had just finished my second test drive in the ewok and I said to my wife we should drive the X3 as we were heading home from the RR dealership.

The X3 was kind of an afterthough as I thought the X3 was fugly.

Well the test drive sold the car, especially since I drove it right after driving the RR.

I still think the X3 "ain't purdy" but what the hell it's fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock View Post
Was anyone considering the evoque?
      07-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Hey you all forgot one further classification (possibly two):

Gay cars! And should we consider male gays and female gays? Or would they automatically fit in the "other gender"?

To be honest I would even avoid to discuss if anybody would ask a similar question...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #29
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
The old shape X3.. I would totally agree was more a housewife / mothers car to ship the kids around, pig ugly from the back, with the front improving over time.

The 'new' X3 I like to think more of a mini X5.. while I love the huge stance of the X5 and the 'Don't fk with me' size of it, it was just a bit too big, in my view more likely to get nicked, not as fuel efficient and, ultimately if I am honest I didn't need anything quite that big.

I had actually started out to switch from my E9x M3 to an X1, which I 'thought' looked quite nice from the promotion material.. went in to have a test drive and while I was waiting found myself sitting in the 2.0 X3 they had in the showroom. Asked to drive both and the quality between the 2 couldn't have been more contrasting.. was quite surprised. The X3 was ten times better than the X1 with the same engine, so ruled the 1 out immediately, and went for the X3 2.0 (All that was available at time of ordering). During the wait, the 3.0D MSport came out and I amended my order to that having not tested it.

Love it.. great size, loads of room, comfortable and sporty, powerful enough to keep me happy (for now)

As far as M3/5 being a girls car.. better get my new dress then

I love the look of the Rover and had it been available to order at the time I may have at least tested it, but now, I'm glad I didnt, I see so many of them on the road they have become boring, and mostly women seem to drive them (Blame Beckham haha), plus the interior looks horrible.

Q5, as always with Audi I ruled it out one night when I got fed up with their stupid configurator, but never sat in one or went to a dealer to look, I've been a BMW owner for almost 20 years, and for day to day cars, I can easily say I've not come across anything as good from comfort, driver engagement and reliability, so it would take quite a ride in something else for me to want to change.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #30
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator69 View Post
Hey you all forgot one further classification (possibly two):

Gay cars! And should we consider male gays and female gays? Or would they automatically fit in the "other gender"?

To be honest I would even avoid to discuss if anybody would ask a similar question...
Is it the car, or the colour?

I've always viewed the Ford KA as a gay KA, but I'll throw the X1 into the gay SUV group
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #31
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

It's a shame the X1 looks so awkward. Maybe the new facelift will attend to that. I personally don't need the amount of space the X3 has and the X1 would have been my first choice if it didn't look the way it does. I'd prefer a larger engine in a smaller car so the X1 23D would have been ideal - I also understand that in certain configurations the X1 benefits from hydraulic power steering.

The facelift comes out soon so I'd be interested to see how it looks but I don't think it will change it enought to get me to change.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #32
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Quote:
Was anyone considering the evoque?
Had a good look at these before going for the X3 over the Evoque and the Q3(too small) - currently drive an A3 2.0T . The evoque at first glance looks interesting. Upon closer inspection it looks like a flattened Freelander (which is actually what it is). Poor rear vision and relaibility - some of the posts on other sites scared the heck out of me. Oh, and yes, this is a girls car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #33
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
It's a shame the X1 looks so awkward. Maybe the new facelift will attend to that. I personally don't need the amount of space the X3 has and the X1 would have been my first choice if it didn't look the way it does. I'd prefer a larger engine in a smaller car so the X1 23D would have been ideal - I also understand that in certain configurations the X1 benefits from hydraulic power steering.

The facelift comes out soon so I'd be interested to see how it looks but I don't think it will change it enought to get me to change.
If you don't need the space, what about a sedan instead? A 1 series?
      07-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #34
OneMadScientist
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 3.5 M-Sport

Quote:
So there is such thing as a girls car lol

Is the money worth the extra 60hp?

Thanks!
Short answer...yes. I drove both before I bought my X3 3.5 M sport. And as to the concept of a "girls" car, I don't know, ask the guy in the Mustang GT that I embarrassed tonight (with his wife/girlfriend riding shotgun) on my way home tonight.

JDR
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Not what my gender says
We both proffered the x3
I agree with your assessment. X3 is quite fun to drive... there is just a "connectedness" you experience with the car and road that is quite reassuring and exhilarating (just watch out for those potholes and curbs, I hear the expensive runflats don't like em just one bit, bubble up easy).

With respect to the female/male duality thing... it's just mental projections, or thought forms, that stand in the way of a true experience, means nothing in reality when you are behind the wheel.

Besides, if X3 is a female car, it will only attract more females to me, Can't complain.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #36
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

nothing like a nice set of 20" rims and a tune to make the X3 more manly
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #37
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

I am still loving my X3 35i. It is an awesome vehicle for me. It has decent amount of interior space, it drives great in the winter on snowy roads, I can tow my snowmobiles with it, and when I punch the throttle and push it it feels more like a sports sedan than an SUV.
      07-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #38
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMadScientist View Post
Short answer...yes. I drove both before I bought my X3 3.5 M sport. And as to the concept of a "girls" car, I don't know, ask the guy in the Mustang GT that I embarrassed tonight (with his wife/girlfriend riding shotgun) on my way home tonight.

JDR
+1
      07-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #39
bayareajimmy
Rep

The only worthy challenger to the X3 w/msport, I see, would be the Porsche Macan.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #40
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the reply everyone!

I was considering the f10 with M package but I need trunk space more then anything for work, which is more important. I think the x3 might be the car for me.

I found a carbon black 35 M sport with oyster interior. Not exactly what I want but these cars seem hard to come by, especially with M package! I might just have to pull the trigger on this one....
      07-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #41
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
I found a carbon black 35 M sport with oyster interior. Not exactly what I want but these cars seem hard to come by, especially with M package! I might just have to pull the trigger on this one....
Order one exactly the way that you want it. Virtually everybody here did. Wait times in the US are not that bad. Do a PCD in SC, and break it in on the way home.
Appreciate 0