BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

Red face Just got my X3 today, but no Xenon nor Projector Housing?!?!

Hey guys:
I got my X3 for my wife today, and only after when we got home did I notice that there isn't Xenon headlight on the car.... Oh my... What an idiot was I...

I sent my wifes car 06' 325i in for service, only found out in the next 12 months I'll be spending at least $5000 for repair, maintenance, tires, etc. The car already has 90k miles so it doesn't seem to make much sense to spend half of the market value just to keep the car running for another year or two before other problems come out.

I talked with my SA who referred me to this great sales guy (aren't they all?). My wife has been wanting a SUV so I feel it's a great opportunity to trade in and lease one. Plus the dealer will waive my $800 maintenance if I get a new one today.

Being said, the purchase was kind of a rush decision. With my wife insisting on parking assist feature (a must before she scratches all the nice paint), there wasn't that many selections. Plus this morning I just went to my Chinese doc for some acupuncture (don't ever do that before making a big decision because acupuncture makes you light headed and a bit tired). Anyway, finally we saw a AW with Nevada Chesnut interior and Fineline wood trim (absolutely beautiful combination), and the dealer was like this is it, a fully loaded car at $47000+ MSRP.

Without really fully examining the car I was like OK let's do this. When the dealer said there was no Comfort Access I was like why not, because it was already keyless start. The dealer said X3 2013 just don't have them. I was like OK I can live with that.... But when I came back I was like, there is no angel eye for the headlight!!!! After doing a quick search online, I found out that Xenon is part of the convenience package if not ordered separately....

I loved my purchase decision until I realize that there is no xenon nor projector housing... Why would BMW take that off as that is their signature?!?! Some of you may think its no biggie but to me that's like a must have...

Has someone tried to install the xenon with projector housing to replace the reflective housing? I don't mind not having the adaptive headlight function but that angel eye ring is everything I see in a Bimmer!!!!!

My wife doesn't care and she's absolutely happy now (her first time owning a brand new car). I don't want to spoil her joy but now I have this buyers remorse inside myself..... :*(
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hey man congratulations on your new car, no need to feel bad about your purchase. You are not the first to ask about installing aftermarket xenons and while I haven't seen anyone actually do it on the X3 yet I'm sure there's some way to do it. I'd suggest you check out the 3 series forums in the mean time as I'm positive there's some DIYs.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Well I understand your issue I would just get on and enjoy the car - it is a great SUV and if the wife is happy your 90% there!
If the price was good then dont worry about it, we did not get them as it was just out of our budget, would have been nice but thats how it was.
Would consider an aftermarket upgrade later but they work great as it is!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Congratulations on your car but i must admit I love my Xenons
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Congratulation on your brand new X3.
I know exactly how you feel, as I would have felt the same if I rushed into things and missed something.

Hopefully xenon can be retrofitted, maybe you can retrofit them later when X3 LCI is unveiled, who knows the LCI will get the new style angel rings with flattened-out top and bottom.

In the mean time, enjoy your car, it is a great SUV and I love your color combo
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
you will need to buy new headlights/xenon and coding/reprogramming of your x3
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
Congratulations on your car but i must admit I love my Xenons
+1 they rock
      07-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Awesome bro!

I think you could order it from your BMW parts the xenon housing ad assembly. But don't expect them to come cheap. It might cost you around 1.5k-2k. Including labor.
      07-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Not to rock the boat but I don't like the xenons. In comparison to LED's found on the new Audi's (A6,Q3 etc) I think they look really aftermarket (referring to the rings of course).

Just my view of course, if I was getting a new Audi I'd make sure I'd pick them, but the (in my view) cheap looking rings on the X3 aren't worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

you can get them aftermarket, if so opt for the euro version without the ugly orange deflectors, even better check on this or other forums if anyone retrofitted theirs with the euro look and buy their old ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Guys / Girls:
Thanks for the "comfort". I do enjoy it (and ironically, more than my M3 due to the bumpy and lengthy ride in LA traffic and unpaved roads). And with the fog light on, the light is considerably bright at night.

I am working on "getting over" not having Angel Eyes/Xenon on my car, but perhaps that's just the stubborn part of me, same as my preference to Fries with Ketchup, Burgers with Diet Coke, Movies with Popcorn, and Baseball games with Hot dogs and a beer.... You get the idea...

Well, if it can be retrofit, I might consider paying off the car after the end of the lease (assuming there's no major issue) and swap some nice xenon headlights =)

Just a side note, when I brought up this discussion with my wifey today, her response was, "Huh? What? I thought I was getting the Cayenne 3 years later?!?!"

Well, time to work hard for the next 3 years....Orz
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Most of us don't order fully loaded because of many reasons and later on think we should have stretched our pockets a bit more. It's all natural. Unfortunately BMW didn't design the car truly modular and retrofittings are either extremely expensive or unavailable. I had missed BMW Apps Because of wrong info and now dealer says its not possible to add. It's OK, my bad. I enjoy other features and love my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

My wife did not "like" the sports seats so we did not get them.
After driving some 4000 miles where we do sometimes "give it some welly!" she recently said "it would have been more fun if we got the sports seats!!"
Typical!!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Not to rock the boat but I don't like the xenons. In comparison to LED's found on the new Audi's (A6,Q3 etc) I think they look really aftermarket (referring to the rings of course).

Just my view of course, if I was getting a new Audi I'd make sure I'd pick them, but the (in my view) cheap looking rings on the X3 aren't worth the money.
I quite liked the Audi DRLs until I realised the BMW coronas look more integrated into the vehicles lighting. The Audi's and Merc now look like an add on after thought. Sometimes being last to market has it's rewards.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwx3 View Post
I quite liked the Audi DRLs until I realised the BMW coronas look more integrated into the vehicles lighting. The Audi's and Merc now look like an add on after thought. Sometimes being last to market has it's rewards.
Each to there own but I think the new range of LED's found on some of the Audi models look really good:

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwx3 View Post
I agree. Particularly on the Mercs where they look tacky and definitely like an afterthought. Xenons on the X3 100% better than halogens IMO which make the car look cheap in comparison, even how they look when switched off. Xenons always first on my option list and on the X3 they are one of my favourite features because of how distinctive they are compared with the boring lines on other cars. Just my tuppence worth

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well, the latest finding is, it will cost me around $2300-2500 just for the OEM HID before Labor cost...

I will wait until before my lease ends and see whether the parts price go down to decide whether I keep the car or not =)

And I agree with some of you. BMW Xenon and Angel Eyes are the single most unique design that so far I haven't really found a better design job done by its competitors/imitators... It is MUST HAVE!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #18
slam
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Criminal! $2,500 before labor!!! You might be better selling the car and reordering with the factory installed feature with additional options along the way. You have to consider the value of your time based on the years remaining on your lease.

I had a Mercedes leased for 3 years prior to the X3 without some of the features ie. roof rack, xenon, extra cup holders and hated the car after the first year.

Not suggesting you break the lease, but you need to consider spending excessively and valuing your satisfaction for the next few years.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

The angel eyes is the one that gives the car it's character .. I'm still amazed that dealers order cars without xenon, should be standard feature on the car..
I think BMW should insist on this. Xenon lights s one of the features that give the car it's modern look.. You should try to change headlights if you can , I know xenons could be retrofitted on the earlier x3
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
leftee86
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 x28i

I'm in the same boat with my 2013 X3 x28i...bought it off the lot, but didn't have Xenon w/ Angel Eyes =(. Dealer hasn't gotten back to me on how much it costs for parts and labor.

That's why I started another thread about Angel Eye retrofit kit.

But, I assume I get to keep the existing headlamps, are those sell-able then?

Still, I don't see the front of my car with the lights on very often, I love the car anyway =).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #21
leftee86
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 x28i

Dealer said the shop said retrofit is NOT possible =(
He said the older models were compatible.

And he said, if it's really issue, then maybe I can trade in and order a new one...I'm like no, I'd lose several thousand for nothing.

I'm just going to get either an HID conversion kit (around $100) or brightest (white) halogen bulbs for now and see what Bimmerman comes out with for angel eyes retrofit for F25 body style, if they do.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

What makes a BMW unique is the 4 headlight design (which the angel eyes do signify) and kidney grill and how about the unmatched engineering and feel. I think the angel eyes are cool but not necessary. $900 for the xenon option is a bit much.

As for my car, I can't see the headlights from behind the wheel and don't care what others think...

Happy motoring!
Appreciate 0