BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
softsign
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2017 F25 Brake Rotors/Pads recommendations?

Short story:

Looking for recommendations on a good brand of rotors and pads for the F25.

I'm not too familiar with brake brands, but my limited research so far suggests that EBC, Zimmerman, Stoptech and Brembo are all good rotor makers (though Brembo doesn't seem to make front rotors for some reason). As for pads, I've seen Akebono, EBC and Brembo recommended.

I'm in Toronto, so Canadian-friendly recommendations on where to source these parts would be extra helpful. Also would welcome recommendations for a mechanic to do the work since it's winter and I don't have a covered garage.

Long story:

My 2017 F25 X3 xDrive28i has started giving me the "service due soon" message for the front brake pads and now says they should be replaced in 90 km. What's weird is that the iDrive says the rear pads have another 50,000 km in them.

A quick visual inspection suggests that the pads on all four wheels are at least 8-10 mm thick. Seems as though that should be good for much more than 90 km. Nor does it account for the huge discrepancy in service life remaining between front and rear.

This car came to me used with about 65,000 km on it, so I don't know if the brakes are original, or if they've been replaced and maybe someone didn't replace/reset the sensors.

Regardless, I've been a little underwhelmed at the braking performance in this car and wouldn't mind replacing the rotors/pads on all four wheels. The OCD in me is also annoyed at rustiness of some of the rotors.

Would love to hear your recommendations. Thanks!

Edited to add photos of the front pads and rear driver's side pad for comparison
Attached Images

Last edited by softsign; 12-17-2019 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Added photos for reference
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
I like the EBC pad and rotor kits. Cheap and effective. The inside pads typically wear a little quicker on sliding piston calipers, so the outer pads may show more thickness.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

Akebono pads and Zimmerman coated rotors all around. Nearly no dust and braking power plenty for daily driving.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
Ol' Fart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3, 28d, Mineral White

I use Akebono Euro pads and Zimmerman coated rotors all around. Used the same on the 535 xi I used to have. I've had good luck with them over the years.

2019 BMW 430 XI Grand Coupe, White, Black leather interior

2016 BMW X3, 28d, Mineral White metalic, Oyster Nevada leather interior.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90705 View Post
Akebono pads and Zimmerman coated rotors all around. Nearly no dust and braking power plenty for daily driving.
100% agree. I did this on my X3 recently and am very happy with results.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Just FYI, the service indicator means nothing. It is not monitoring pad wear in any way. It's just a guess. Kinda like of you had a kid, and somebody told you "22 years until college graduation." Then your kid takes an odd life path and graduates at 40. And if somebody did not reset the counter when the pads were last changed, then the system goes from useless to super-useless. Those are nearly new pads.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
bpwj76
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i; 2016 X3 Sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Those are nearly new pads.
This.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
softsign
Rep

Seems like the Akebonos are very popular and I'm inclined to go that way too. That said, most of the reviews I've read can be summarized as "equivalent stopping power to OEM brakes, way less dust". Would that be about right?

If I don't mind the dust and wanted a little more stopping power, or at least a little more bite, what's my best alternative?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by softsign View Post
Seems like the Akebonos are very popular and I'm inclined to go that way too. That said, most of the reviews I've read can be summarized as "equivalent stopping power to OEM brakes, way less dust". Would that be about right?

If I don't mind the dust and wanted a little more stopping power, or at least a little more bite, what's my best alternative?
Not on a BMW, but on an MB forum I heard that Akebonos made the pedal feel soft. At least one person swapped them because of that. I put them on a Volvo XC90 and sure enough the pedal felt oddly soft and mushy. I got used to it, but it was different for sure.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

As for rotors, just look for a name brand coated rotors. My preference is the ATE (likely the OEM) coated, but Zimmerman, Bosch, Brembo, and others mentioned here are all fine. Just be sure they're coated.

I've tried a number of other pads over the years for various BMWs but always end up coming back OE compound pads. You always seem to lose some of that cold bite that BMW is known for. I deal with the dust by waxing the wheels to make it easier to clean. I will also never own a BBS cross spoke style wheel again. I also own separate summer and winter wheel sets so they get thoroughly cleaned once a year. On my 2012, I know Jurid is the OEM for the rears. I think ATE is the OEM for the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #11
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Just did the following:

Akebono pads
Zimmerman rotors
5.1 brake fluid

OEM rotors started to crumble after 7 years/65k KM. They were turning my wheels another shade with a nasty brown fine powder

I last changed the pads 3 years ago / 20k KM ago. Rear pads died quickly before and were the same case now. Front pads and rotors seemed to have a lot of life left but very rusty.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #12
softsign
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Just did the following:

Akebono pads
Zimmerman rotors
5.1 brake fluid

OEM rotors started to crumble after 7 years/65k KM. They were turning my wheels another shade with a nasty brown fine powder

I last changed the pads 3 years ago / 20k KM ago. Rear pads died quickly before and were the same case now. Front pads and rotors seemed to have a lot of life left but very rusty.
I see that you're in Toronto too. Out of curiosity, where did you source the parts? And did you do the work yourself or do you have a shop you like?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I go to an Indy out in Mississauga. I usually source from German Parts . ca.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
tech10
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 F25 28ix

Hi,
For parts in Canada, I used to buy it from autopartway for brake pads and rotors.
It has a bit better price.

Just for your information.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 03:19 AM   #15
rob116
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 f25

Hi anyone try textar rotor before ? I though of replacing it with the original which worn pretty fast. Front pad on bendix Eu pad, much cleaner but friction slightly lower than ori pad.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #16
spudslatte
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 x28i F25 70k mi

I used Zimmerman on my M5 and that's what I will use on this vehicle- don't know the price point between your brand and Zimmerman tho - I use Michael at Newparts for my parts
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #17
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob116 View Post
Hi anyone try textar rotor before ? I though of replacing it with the original which worn pretty fast. Front pad on bendix Eu pad, much cleaner but friction slightly lower than ori pad.
I have used them on a 3 series e46 station wagon. Complete job. Pretty good and very close to stock feel if not stock feel.

With this knowledge, i ran to buy the complete kit for my X3 and ....

well. I am regretting it. Not sure why but my brake pedal feels spongy and I get this vibration when the brakes heat up at high speed. Used TIS and followed BMW recommended way of doing this job. I'm this close to dropping the car off at the dealer and having them redo the entire job again using OE parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #18
rob116
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
Quote:
I have used them on a 3 series e46 station wagon. Complete job. Pretty good and very close to stock feel if not stock feel.

well. I am regretting it. Not sure why but my brake pedal feels spongy and I get this vibration when the brakes heat up at high speed. Used TIS and followed BMW recommended way of doing this job. I'm this close to dropping the car off at the dealer and having them redo the entire job again using OE parts.
Sorry for the late reply.. I had chg to Zimmermann rotor (with coating) pairing with my existing bendix Eu. Still low mileage hence can't feedback much but at a glance after 200km, it seems ok. Of course the bendix EU pad friction maybe slightly or one rate lower but so far doesn't vibrate when high speed. It's clean, no sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #19
rob116
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
Quote:

Sorry for the late reply.. I had chg to Zimmermann rotor (with coating) pairing with my existing bendix Eu. Still low mileage hence can't feedback much but at a glance after 200km, it seems ok. Of course the bendix EU pad friction maybe slightly or one rate lower but so far doesn't vibrate when high speed. It's clean, no sound.
1000km on and I hv to say the bendix EU pad (material ) doesn't suit too well with Zimmerman rotor but it does work on original rotor. From Wht I observed ,I noticed a light blue thin color if I drive hard (only did so after 800km of drive) but it has a hot spot on the rotor during bedding in period eventhough I did not drive hard. My bendix pad still pretty new, might chg back to original bmw pad and try again but hv to sacrifice with plenty of black stain and powder on the rim again
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #20
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by softsign View Post
Short story:

Long story:

My 2017 F25 X3 xDrive28i has started giving me the "service due soon" message for the front brake pads and now says they should be replaced in 90 km. What's weird is that the iDrive says the rear pads have another 50,000 km in them.

A quick visual inspection suggests that the pads on all four wheels are at least 8-10 mm thick. Seems as though that should be good for much more than 90 km. Nor does it account for the huge discrepancy in service life remaining between front and rear.

This car came to me used with about 65,000 km on it, so I don't know if the brakes are original, or if they've been replaced and maybe someone didn't replace/reset the sensors.

Regardless, I've been a little underwhelmed at the braking performance in this car and wouldn't mind replacing the rotors/pads on all four wheels. The OCD in me is also annoyed at rustiness of some of the rotors.

Would love to hear your recommendations. Thanks!

Edited to add photos of the front pads and rear driver's side pad for comparison
Somebody didn't reset the brake service IMO.....the pads are fine
Appreciate 0