BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
happy_chrissy
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 2015' X3 28i

BMW RFT Recommendations Msport

I just leased a new 2017 X3 35i M sport that came with Bridgestone Eagle tires. These tires are very loud however I like the ride, somewhat soft. I have been researching on this board and it seems that majority of people are not happy with these tires.

I am looking at swapping out these tires with the either the MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4 ZP Grand Touring All-Season Size: 245/45R19 102V XL or BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE960AS POLE POSITION RFT Ultra High Performance All-Season Size: 245/45RF19 98W I found on Tirerack however, these tires are not on the BMW website as approved runflat tires?

1- When I return the car to the dealer will they make me put one of the brands that are on the BMW website?

2- Is the Michelin or the Bridgestone tires quiet and have a nice ride?

I also purchased the tire warranty through First Mile Road Hazard Coverage for $1500 for 3 years. I am thinking of canceling it? How are M sport tires? Do they tend to bubble easily? I am in tristate area.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_chrissy View Post
I just leased a new 2017 X3 35i M sport that came with Bridgestone Eagle tires. These tires are very loud however I like the ride, somewhat soft. I have been researching on this board and it seems that majority of people are not happy with these tires.

I am looking at swapping out these tires with the either the MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4 ZP Grand Touring All-Season Size: 245/45R19 102V XL or BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE960AS POLE POSITION RFT Ultra High Performance All-Season Size: 245/45RF19 98W I found on Tirerack however, these tires are not on the BMW website as approved runflat tires?

1- When I return the car to the dealer will they make me put one of the brands that are on the BMW website?

2- Is the Michelin or the Bridgestone tires quiet and have a nice ride?

I also purchased the tire warranty through First Mile Road Hazard Coverage for $1500 for 3 years. I am thinking of canceling it? How are M sport tires? Do they tend to bubble easily? I am in tristate area.
Both those tires are not BMW approved run-flat so you will have issues when returning. You could just take off the Eagles and put them back on close to lead end and in the meantime use a different tire. If your lease is 3-4 years, very likely any RFT you get will won't last you until the end of the lease; have learnt that staggered tires wear down very fast.

I have been doing extensive research on which RFT tires to replace my Michelin Primacy 3 that came with my 2016 M Sport and only lasted about 15,000 miles! I loved the Michelin Primacy 3's; soft ride with good handling but very expensive to buy again for the short thread life. Many replies here will tell you to go with non-RFT, which is fine, but if you do want to stick with RFT and not spend a ton of cash, the Potenza RE960AS is probably the best. The only negative I read about it is they do get a bit noisy after a while. The MXM4 is a different type of tire because it is a all season touring tire that is only H rated, vs Y rated that came with our X3's, the overall ride and handling will suffer is my guess so I'm staying clear of it. There is also a new Pirelli PZ4, the newest generation of Pirelli RFT that will be BMW approved, has a longer thread life than the old P Zero's, but very expensive.

The warranty won't cover a non BMW approved tire and you have to keep purchasing the tire from BMW, which tends to be more expensive. I have had no issues with the 19"s. I think the 20's bubble more easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

Hey sorry this is super out of context, but I'm new to this forum. How do I get posting priveleges?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post

The warranty won't cover a non BMW approved tire and you have to keep purchasing the tire from BMW, which tends to be more expensive.
I'm assuming you are just referring to any tyre/tire warranty. Certainly any suggestion that the use of non-BMW approved tyres would effect your car's warranty is of course nonsense.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
I'm assuming you are just referring to any tyre/tire warranty. Certainly any suggestion that the use of non-BMW approved tyres would effect your car's warranty is of course nonsense.

Tony
Yes, correct, the tire warranty only would be affected.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

the loading index is different between your selections, stock tires are 100 i think? Tire rack told me it is might be safer not to go too much below the OEM index (for safety).

Not sure how the load index would affect sidewall stiffness though, I assume higher index is stiffer?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
the loading index is different between your selections, stock tires are 100 i think? Tire rack told me it is might be safer not to go too much below the OEM index (for safety).

Not sure how the load index would affect sidewall stiffness though, I assume higher index is stiffer?
going to 98 load index is fine but having a higher index will give a stiff sidewall that would be recommended.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_chrissy View Post
I just leased a new 2017 X3 35i M sport ..... MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4 ZP Grand Touring All-Season Size: 245/45R19 102V XL .....
I replaced the OEM Goodyear 245/45-19 LS2 RFTs on our 2011 X3 35i with these Michelins and we like them a lot. They have a nice combination of ride quality, handling, lack of excessive noise, and tread life and they do well in the snow for an all-season. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

FWIW, I don't know how much difference it makes but I chose the Michelins over the Potenza 960's for peace of mind regarding load rating- the OEM tires were rated 102XL.

Bruce