BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2024, 01:57 PM   #1
pin2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i xDrive F25-N52

Oil leak source '12 X3

Greetings everyone,

Yesterday as I was driving home, I encountered a strong smell of burning oil. Upon arriving home, I opened the hood and observed oil pooling where the valve cover gasket connects to the engine body. However, upon closer inspection, I believe the leak isn't originating from there; rather, it seems the oil is collecting in that area. After removing the vanity cover, I noticed oil present in various spots on top of the valve cover, particularly between the 3rd and 5th spark plug locations.

Any suggestion where to start the car has 96K and I had the valve cover gasket replaced at 60K from a previous oil leak.

pin2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 08:08 PM   #2
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

even though you replaced the gasket, it could be a cracked valve cover. Even if you replace the gasket, the VC could be still leaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 08:59 PM   #3
Hellshalfacre
Nothin to see here
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 sdrive28i, 2011 E88

It looks as though the leak is coming from your valvetronic motor seal. It's very easy to remove and replace the seal. Plenty of info online. Hope you get it sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 01:43 PM   #4
pin2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i xDrive F25-N52

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellshalfacre View Post
It looks as though the leak is coming from your valvetronic motor seal. It's very easy to remove and replace the seal. Plenty of info online. Hope you get it sorted out.

Yup I started with that and replaced the gasket it looks like it might be the reason because I cleaned a lot of oil between #3 and 4 coil housing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2