BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0 Msport

Winter Tyres - recommendations

Now we don't really get majorly cold winters here in the UK, but in the interests of tyre preservation, and also reading up just how many people swap to winter tyres, as well as the fact I'm due to shortly move out to the sticks (slightly more rural!) - I'm wondering whether to switch to winter tyres? And if so, any recommendations? Do they even do winter run flats?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047 View Post
Now we don't really get majorly cold winters here in the UK, but in the interests of tyre preservation, and also reading up just how many people swap to winter tyres, as well as the fact I'm due to shortly move out to the sticks (slightly more rural!) - I'm wondering whether to switch to winter tyres? And if so, any recommendations? Do they even do winter run flats?
I run Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on my 2014 335i M Sport RWD.

I highly recommend it. It's one of the very few "studless winter tires" on TireRack with an H speed rating.

Out of it's peers such as the Blizzak WS series, it handles more like an all season in the dry. Obviously a Blizzak WS will handle better in deep snow and ice, but the X-Ice Xi3 will still outperform the "performance winter tires".
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047
I just swap the tyres to same rims and keep the tyre size the same. I also go for run flats. That way my insurance is still valid and I don't need to advise them every time I swap. The big online tyre depots have good prices and I have a tyre dealer in my village who swaps them each year.

Most people go for a rim and tyre package. BMW do them but they are pricey!

They say they only work at their optimum if below 7c. Wet grip is good and if you get ice and snow they make more difference than 4 wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Here's what I did:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152639&

225/60-17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV RunFlats on dedicated winter wheels
      09-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Keep an eye on eBay etc

I picked up a nearly new set of genuine BMW wheels with as new Dunlop winter sports 3d's for about a quarter of the new price from BMW

Also some BMW dealers will negotiate on tyres set prices

Just beware that 2015 models have the new tyre pressure monitoring system so an older wheel set will need new calves fitted .. About £300 from BMW

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Nobody answered your question: Switch to winter tyres?

Yes!!

I believe you get performance tires in the UK - they are no good when ice/snow!

You have - I disregard studded tyres - nordic or continental tyres. Continental for the continent - not the brand. You don`t get too much snow/ice, so continentals should fit the bill.

Last two years, Hakkapelitta and Continental - the Brand , has won tests both in Sweden and Finland for their non-studded continental winter tyres.

Make sure that you get tyres made this year - they are marked.

It is up to you to choose RFT or non-RFT.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Okay so sounds like a yes to winter tyres, but what ones? And obviously need to be available here in the UK, and be a straight swap out with non affected insurance too
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:04 AM   #8
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
You have two choices really ..

Well three actually

1 do a tyre swop on your current 19 inch rims

2. Get another 19 inch wheel set with winter tyres and swop

3. Get a 17/18 inch set and swop to smaller wheels for the winter

The benefits of smaller wheels on snow is well documented but also the wheel sets will be cheaper

Insurance isn't an issue if you stay with standard wheels and sizes

As for tyres .. Go on the tyre comparison sites or alternatively look at what BMW fits as standard winter tyres .. Normally Pirelli sottozeros or Dunlop winter sports

My recommendation would be smaller wheels with good quality tyres

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #9
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Here are the UK insurance requirements on the pdf

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and...e/Winter-tyres
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Okay so sounds like a yes to winter tyres, but what ones? And obviously need to be available here in the UK, and be a straight swap out with non affected insurance too
You can purchase genuine OEM BMW wheels with * rated BMW winter tyres all balanced and ready to fit to your car delivered free to your door at discounted prices from AlloyWheelsDirect.net. see...

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw.../x3_f25_alloys

I purchased a new set of 18" because my car is a keeper and I expect to own it for at least 5 years and will get the use out of them. I purchased these..

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw...308_wheel_2061

If you want to go cheaper with older style wheels then there is always ebay, but with a newish car I wanted it to look nice and the 18" (non staggered) is a good price although my car has 19" staggered 369 style wheels as standard. Naturally the style is subjective and down to personal choice. VERY IMPORTANT AND DO NOT FORGET, you need to check that any wheels/tyres you purchase has the later Tyre Pressure Monitoring TPMS for the 2015 manufactured car to UK specifications.

Note 1. The company is Oxford based but operates out of Wegberg in Germany hence the good discount over purchasing from BMW UK. I saved around £500. You have to do all the contact by email.

Note 2. Be aware this time of the year they get really busy because this is the time everyone purchases.

The following is sound advice...I have the Pirelli sottozeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
As for tyres .. Go on the tyre comparison sites or alternatively look at what BMW fits as standard winter tyres .. Normally Pirelli sottozeros or Dunlop winter sports

My recommendation would be smaller wheels with good quality tyres
Quote:
Get a 17/18 inch set and swop to smaller wheels for the winter. The benefits of smaller wheels on snow is well documented but also the wheel sets will be cheaper. Insurance isn't an issue if you stay with standard wheels and sizes

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I've started swapping to Winter Tyres, but mainly because I have driven over to ski resorts in Europe. They were essential in Switzerland last year.

Purely based on UK (South!) driving, it's very rare that they are really required. I think only a small percentage of drivers swap tyres. The country grinds to a halt on just 1 inch of snow when it does happen. If you are rural and really need to keep moving, get them.

I bought my winter wheels and tyres off Ebay- ~£500 with 7mm Dunlop WinterSport 3D RFT.

On my previous car I used snow socks a couple of times- they were great to get me out of a couple of short distance sticky situations.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Many drivers are under the impression that winter tyres are just for snow conditions. In fact they are made for temperatures of 7 degrees Centigrade and lower. These conditions are quite often encountered in southern England. In 2014 this temperature went on for days on end.

Last edited by Peter_R; 09-04-2015 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Typing error
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #13
DAN5047
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I've started swapping to Winter Tyres, but mainly because I have driven over to ski resorts in Europe. They were essential in Switzerland last year.

Purely based on UK (South!) driving, it's very rare that they are really required. I think only a small percentage of drivers swap tyres. The country grinds to a halt on just 1 inch of snow when it does happen. If you are rural and really need to keep moving, get them.

I bought my winter wheels and tyres off Ebay- ~£500 with 7mm Dunlop WinterSport 3D RFT.

On my previous car I used snow socks a couple of times- they were great to get me out of a couple of short distance sticky situations.

Did you stick with your original rims? Bit out of my budget to swap rims as well at the moment - don't have a spare £1K!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 02:43 AM   #14
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

The £500 included 4 * 17" BMW 304 Style wheels with Winter Tyres! The tyres on there own were worth that much.

It seems that second hand prices for wheels with tyres are a little lower at the moment.

Just keep your eye on ebay- just make sure you don't get E83 wheels which might not fit. There are some F25 wheels on there at the moment for a bit higher £££, but you can normally negotiate with the seller.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 04:07 AM   #15
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I live up in the Lancashire hills not far from the Yorkshire dales

I have found them invaluable through the winter ., the wet icy roads we get up here can be very very treacherous .. And again the snow we can get ... Living 200m above sea level

Well worth the money .. Just don't buy new .. Mine are 18's and cost me £600

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 04:36 AM   #16
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047
Dan

Have a look in the classifieds on here .. Set for sale In UK

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #17
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o
I live up in the Lancashire hills not far from the Yorkshire dales

I have found them invaluable through the winter ., the wet icy roads we get up here can be very very treacherous .. And again the snow we can get ... Living 200m above sea level

This is a library pic but with the 307 style wheels which I have as a winter set
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #18
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Do not forget you need the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System for the newer car 2015.

Read the following link very carefully because the older style might not be suitable for your car, so purchasing second/hand older wheels from the internet might not be a wise choice.

http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/tyre...stem-tpms.html

Last edited by Peter_R; 09-06-2015 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #19
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

I just went down in my basement to have a look which wintertyres BMW gave me. I got the 4 wintertyres on a set of BMW Alloys "304" for free when I ordered my car ! I ordered the car last december, and it was a special winter-offer. Not bad I thought.

Anyway , on the tyres it says :

DUNLOP SP Winter Sport 3D , DSST 225/60 R17 . "Made in Germany" . Run on flat.
      09-07-2015, 03:12 AM   #20
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:

I bought a set of 18s from eBay too. £650 with OEM spec Dunlops. Worth doing.

If you find E83 17s, they probably won't fit, but 18s should. I've got some old X5 17s which do fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #21
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
I bought a set of 18s from eBay too. £650 with OEM spec Dunlops. Worth doing.

If you find E83 17s, they probably won't fit, but 18s should. I've got some old X5 17s which do fit.
Hummmmm? I had a chart somewhere. As soon as I find it I will post it in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:00 AM   #22
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
I tried it. Had some old sets of wheels and spent time swapping them over.

They're Style 130. The ones that didn't fit were Style 148.
Appreciate 0