BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

some questions before I order...

So I am seriously thinking about replacing my 07 RDX with a new X3, and will be test driving both the 28i and 35i on Monday. If I like what I see, I will put in an order on the spot. I had a couple questions up front:

1) those of you with 19" wheels, how is the ride? I will only be able to test drive models with 18" wheels, but like the looks of the 19" and would order them provided they don't ride too rough. I already know the RFT won't help in this department....

2) am I nuts, or is there no big advantage to the 28i? I actually prefer the normally aspirated inline six (it's a gem in my Z4) but comparably equipped, I can get the 35i for not much more money, and apparently eke out an additional 1 mpg on the highway (every bit counts coming from the dismal mpg in the RDX). I expected the 28i would be better for real world mileage over the 35i's turbo motor, but that's not what the specs say.

3) I'm leaning towards blue water metallic / oyster. I am not worried about seating durability/cleanup of oyster, since I have ivory white in my Z4 and it's held up just fine. But I am curious about the cargo area on oyster interiors -- is it all dark colored back there, or are there some light areas? That's the only part of the car I really need to be durable and low-maintenance, since I will be throwing yard supplies back there on a regular basis and don't want to think about cleanup.

4) those of you who have compared sport seats with standard seats, any comments on differences? I am especially interested in plushness, comfort, and width. I'm 6'1 200lb and spend a lot of time in the driver's seat during ski season. I find general comfort is important for that kind of use, and aggressive bolsters/support are only good if they make the seats more comfortable (let's face it, this is not a sports car and I don't need the seat to pin me into position in curves).

5) finally, trailer hitch -- I don't see an OEM option or accessory and have only seen a few posts on the topic. Are people going aftermarket with this? It's something I would need right away, and can install myself provided there are options.

Thanks in advance for any replies (and sorry for the length).

//219
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Some comments for you:
1. 19" wheels are just fine, mine rides very comfortably on "normal" settings. I have driven X3s with the 18"s, but really don't think the 19"ers make it noticibly harsher. I wouldn't worry about the 19"s.
2. regardless of specs as given, I expect the turbo N55 engine to return less fuel economy than the N52; simply because, in my case, I will use the turbo more often...... That said, the N52 is a great and well-proven engine. It really depends on who is driving the car, and how they like to drive. Nothing wrong with the 28i for a bit less money. For me, the 35i is worth the extra.
3. Bluewater is a pretty color. As to Oyster, for me, using it to haul yard stuff, and other harsher uses would dictate a darker interior color. I also hear that colors like Oyster pick up the blue dye from cheaper bluejeans. Your call.
4. I find the Sport seats to be superior to the standard seats. To me, they just hold you better, sporty driving or not. They also look better, if that matters to you. I know some ppl who are very heavy do not like the Sport seats, but that is self-explanatory. I would take the Sport seats hands-down.
5. Sorry, no idea. Others on here have talked about hitches, do a search.
      06-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
So I am seriously thinking about replacing my 07 RDX with a new X3, and will be test driving both the 28i and 35i on Monday. If I like what I see, I will put in an order on the spot. I had a couple questions up front:

3) I'm leaning towards blue water metallic / oyster. I am not worried about seating durability/cleanup of oyster, since I have ivory white in my Z4 and it's held up just fine. But I am curious about the cargo area on oyster interiors -- is it all dark colored back there, or are there some light areas? That's the only part of the car I really need to be durable and low-maintenance, since I will be throwing yard supplies back there on a regular basis and don't want to think about cleanup.

4) those of you who have compared sport seats with standard seats, any comments on differences? I am especially interested in plushness, comfort, and width. I'm 6'1 200lb and spend a lot of time in the driver's seat during ski season. I find general comfort is important for that kind of use, and aggressive bolsters/support are only good if they make the seats more comfortable (let's face it, this is not a sports car and I don't need the seat to pin me into position in curves).

Thanks in advance for any replies (and sorry for the length).

//219
In answer to Q3 and 4

Q3 Oyster is great and no worries re durability for me. The cargo area is black/charcoal grey so no worries there. Oyster would look great with blue water

Q4 Sports seats win 100%. I have always had SE seats on all previous BMW and Jags but the X3 sports seats are very comfortable and really glad I chose them

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Go for the 19s. The ride is fine and they look a lot better. If I had the choice of the 28i or the 35i, I'd go for the 35i 100%. There are a few threads about taking this decision.

Sports seats are better than standard and most people say that they are very comfortable but I still struggle to find a nice seat position on long trips and actually preferred the VW sports seats in my last car. I think this is more to do with my height (6'3") and where the pedals and the foot rest are. Not perfect by any means

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback -- excellent information. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Santa69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 M Sport

Bolster width is adjustable. Sport seats are extremely comfortable when adjusted properly (I am 6'1" / 190). Much more annoying is the width of the center console impinging on your right leg. I like to drive with my right knee bowed out slightly and can't do it in this car. However, that is my only complaint so far.

Bring on the X3M
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I'm 5'9" 165 and live the Sport Seats. I've had a few people on the heavier side say that they felt a bit snug though. If that's the case, use it as an incentive to start jogging. :P

I've driven a few 328 liners with the standard seats and did not like them at all. They felt a little park-benchy.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
It depends what you want out of your car really... choosing between the 28i and 35i I meant.
I test drove both and went for the 28i as I thought it is decent enough. The extra bucks, well I (will) spend on other stuff.
Remember the day I got my car from the dealeship last week and drove home with it for a distance of 70km with an average speed of 30km/h due to traffic. So while I'm sitting in the car and driving with that speed, I ask myself, what would the bigger and stronger engine do for me here??!!!!
So the point is,IMO, in NA, the speed is very limited...you can't actually enjoy the car the way you should. In Canada it is 100km/h and in US I believe it is 70m/h on highways. So what good does a stronger engine do when you wouldn't have the chance to use it.
During the time I was living in Europe, I did enjoy my 3 series ride which I could speed up to 180-190km/h on the highways of Germany. Now, I would have been speaking veeerrrry differently if we were considering those circumstances....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

After test driving today, I found the 28i to have a little bit of delayed throttle response off the line, but it definitely pulls strongly if you push the pedal a little harder. The 28i engine seemed smoother, while the 35i seemed a little edgier and was more responsive across the whole range. It's almost like the 28i is programmed with a "normal" throttle map whereas the 35i feels more like a sport mode to me (neither car had that option).

For the money and options I want, I'd probably go with the 35i.

The big problem right now is the lack of a good trailer hitch solution. The dealer checked with BMW, and the factory hitch won't be available until September. I haven't seen any suitable third party hitches either. There's no way I can go without a hitch for the rest of the summer. So, I may just have to wait until the fall and flog my RDX a bit longer (which unfortunately means coughing up $$ for new tires and brakes soon).

Both X3 models are nice vehicles, and ride much better than my RDX. I did find that the RDX interior, while not as attractive, was more comfortable (mainly due to the wider cabin, wider seats, and more cockpit space ). On a first glance, I thought that the X3 has a bit of a "VW" vibe going on with the interior, and is definitely a step or two below what I am used to in my Z4. But that does make sense considering the X3 is aligned with the 3-series trim level.

The base X3 seats are indeed a bit flat. I sat in a 3 series with sport seats, which my sales rep suggested would be similar to sport seats in the X3, and they were more to my liking. That is definitely the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I am about the same as you. I love the sports seats. I have the bolsters inflated just a little and it is perfect!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Just picked up my blue water metallic / oyster X3 on Friday and love the color combination. Because of the roughness of the leather, I think it will be easy to keep clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
Just picked up my blue water metallic / oyster X3 on Friday and love the color combination. Because of the roughness of the leather, I think it will be easy to keep clean.
Pictures please!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Pictures please!
+

Paint color varies with light. This is the darkest, but it is almost silver in full sun.
Attached Images

Last edited by mibmwx3; 06-07-2011 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Pictures please!
interior
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Very nice! What part of Michigan are you from? I'm in K-zoo
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #16
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Very nice! What part of Michigan are you from? I'm in K-zoo
I'm just west of Grand Rapids.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looks like the pooch approves!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Good looking color combo.....neat dog as well.