BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Commute REALLY short...bad for the car?

I've got about 400 miles on my new X3 - Alpine White with Chestnut and Siena wood with most options.

I live only 4 or 5 minutes from my job. Certainly the commute to work is a straight shot where I leave my house, drive the 3 miles and then park.

After work I do sometimes drive here or there for a swim / bike ride, etc.. but sometimes it is straight home as well.

Does that sort of short driving 'hurt' the car? The engine never truly warms up at all.

I guess I could drive more, but with a 7:25am start time at work, time is precious...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Starting off -- I really don't know anything about the situation. If it were my car, though, I'd be thinking about looking for occasional longer drive opportunities on the weekends or evenings. My thinking is that it would get the engine oil up to temp and ensure that it was distributed throughout the engine and would give the battery a chance to charge. I imagine it drains little in that short commute, but just sitting over time it might need some support. Maybe even a charger in the Winter or peak Summer heat if your longer drives are infrequent. I expect your mpg is going to be pretty bad -- then again, you shouldn't be burning much. You sound like a great candidate for a true electric car for commuting!
      06-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Why not bike to work?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

BMW sells this model too. Intended for short commute.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
I have actually biked to work. i do triathlons and usually train in the early morning 5 am --> 6:30 or so and I sometimes have to carry school stuff - papers, projects in the car, etc.

And I do usually drive more after work so adding some trips here and there is a good option to charge up that battery.

Good stuff and thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm also curious if it's that bad to drive short distances and if there's any damage to the car other than just not being able to fully charge the battery. I live about 5-10 minutes away from my school and the reason why I drive instead of walk is because there's a very steep mile long hill that I have to go up and living in WA it's most likely raining. I never had battery problems on any of my previous cars but then again I never gave it much thought since they were leased.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchywasabi View Post
Where did you get this picture?!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchywasabi View Post
No, no, no. That's for a short commuter not a short commute.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
caz681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Xdrive35i

The primary risk of frequent short drives is to your exhaust system. One of the byproducts of the cumbustion process is water, and some of that water will condense to liquid form in the exhaust system for a short period of time after the car is started and before the system gets hot enough to prevent condensation. Once the system reaches this operating temperature, the existing condensate in the exhaust pipes will be evaporated and the pipes dried out. If this process is not allowed to complete on a regular basis, that water sitting in the exhaust system for extended periods of time can cause the exhaust pipes to rust and require premature replacement.

If you haven't had a problem with this previously, and you've been doing this for years with another vehicle, then there's a good chance you won't experience it with the X3. However, vehicles warm up at different rates, so it's possible that a difference of a minute could make a big difference here.

The only other thing I can think of is potential impact on the break-in period. This is speculation on my part, but I expect that the break-in period assumes that the car reaches operating temperature for much of that time. If you're burning up break-in miles without reaching operating temperature, to be cautious, you might want to extend your break-in period.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz681 View Post
The primary risk of frequent short drives is to your exhaust system.
+1
Appreciate 0