BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Finally get rid of the Run Flats?

In Germany you can buy your BMW with normal tires - not so in Sweden- RF are mandatory.

Hankook has developed a tire - Ventus Sealguard S1 evo2 - with internal slime, that does not get old, but is effective all its life.
I.e. tire will mend "normal" punctures during all its life.

According to Swedish Car Magazine tire is STD on new BMW 7-series, and VW has bought all of rest of limited manufacturing capacity.

Naturally, if tire works properly, Hankook will expand capacity.

My memory of tests of "Supertires" is that Ventus is not one of the very best, but that might improve, and BMW would not install a shitty tire on the 7.

If, anyway a puncture, you need to bring compressor and slime. Eg. from Amazone.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
bmwpc
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Know the "Feeling"

My wife's 2009 135i came with runflats and had to replace 3 tires in the first 12 months due to flats. When you combine a 35 or 40 aspect ratio with a runflat design you get a very stiff tire that not only hurts the "comfort" level but cost you quite a bit more when they need replacing because you can't patch them. In the US you have to get the 20" wheels to get a summer non runflat. What a difference in ride! If the can of sealant and pump is good enough for my 01 M Roadster, I guess it's good enough for the X4M. AAA is always a good backup should the sealant not be enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

I just wish the non-RFT package came with a conventional spare. The can of gel and an air pump that BMW provides is not exactly reassuring, although I've had two cars now with non-RFT's and no spare and the air pump was enough to at least get me home or to the tire shop. At least with RFT's there's no stress if you get a flat, but not being able to patch RFT's is a bummer. I'd have been out almost $800 in tires by now if I wasn't able to patch them.

The biggest negative with the run flats is the jolting sound when hitting a pothole. Sounds like the suspension disconnects from the car it's so loud. If they can solve that in future designs, they would be more compelling. I'm a huge fan of the Michelin PSS's. My M3 came with Conti's due to a PSS shortage and they are markedly inferior to the PSS's.
Appreciate 0