BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #45
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 and X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMellow View Post
I'm sorry about your situation with the Macan. Automotive reviews put Macan at the top over SQ5 and X-series - perhaps they're missing something?

Its my own personal opinion (so don't take this the wrong way) but I saw the X4 at the dealership while waiting for an oil change, GOOD GOD that thing is hideous. It looks awkward at every angle. There was an X3 parked next to it and it looks 100x better. Can I ask you why you chose the X4 over X3?

Also can you clarify something...I don't get it, none of these vehicles are true SUVs (no low range 4x4), they're really CUVs. I would assume if your a true SUV guy, you'd look at something with low range 4x4 system (Cayenne, Jeep, Land Rovers, etc)
Yellow -

They sell Porsches and Bmw's on Jupiter ? Man, the gas mileage would suck at 2.5 X gravity. Imagine these things would get like 7-8 MPG.. Thats not good.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #46
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax View Post
Yellow -

I have owned numerous X6's as well and I can only assume that you dislike just like you dont like X4.. They are virtually the same just scaled down. Myself and about 250K people believed the X6 was awesome and this is the target audience for X4. You like brunettes and I like Blondes. Same concept. To see a M sport X4 in the right color and say its hideous is funny as in my eyes its different and swoopy and stands out as to not be the same. I have a 2015 X3 3.5 and love love love it everyday.. Its great but does it stand out ? Nope , it looks like all the others. The X4 is a stand out car.

When I say SUV guy - I am into more exotic Suv's like Range Rovers and Audi Sq5's and Macans all which I call SUV's . You may call them CUV's and everyone calls them something but are they a Sport Utility Vehicle ? yes for me they are.. I use them as a sports feel and I use them for utility and work.. I love the big easy trunk space and higher ride.

I bought a 2015 X3 and 2015 X4 all in the same week and Im keeping both.. X3 for everyday stuff and X4 for weekend play.. I am back into BMW and the fit and finish and tech details and operation of the X3 3.5 is awesome. Idrive is better than ever and Macan is boring and loaded with things that dont work.. The Air condition is the Macan doesnt work period.. Its awful and me and my business partner bought them at the same time. He still has his and is putting up with the nonsense I dumped it and im back happy with my BMW's..

craig
I see - makes sense.

X6 vs X4? While the overall shape is similar, the X6 looks much better because all the exterior areas appear to be "filled out" and more substantial on the X6 then the X4.
The X4's rear looks like an after thought. The front (while its a copy of the X3) doesn't look right on the X4. Perhaps some lowering springs may help it look a bit sporty? Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #47
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
That's exactly what I did, yes.

The Macan Turbo was a thought, but based on my order sheet I was looking at around $90k. I've done the X3 thing already and I don't want another one. I liked the SQ5 but not enough to buy one, and the Macan S just felt right to me. It's already plenty faster than either the X4 or X3 35i, and I just get a better sense of occasion getting into the Porsche. It's something to behold, and I'm happy to have paid for that.
That's why it's funny. You replied to a poster who implied you just didn't want to help period. So why bother repeat the intention? Everyone already knew that from your first response.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #48
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Quote:
...the Macan S just felt right to me. It's already plenty faster than either the X4 or X3 35i....
The Macan S and the X3 35i both have 3 liter engines. Somehow Porsche squeezes an extra 40 hp and an extra 39 lb ft of torque out of theirs without turbocharging. Those guys can do magic.

As far as the Macan S being faster though, it's only marginally faster according to the manufacturers' claims. Porsche puts the 0-60 mph time of the Macan S at 5.2 sec. BMW says the X3 35i will do it in 5.3 sec, and the X4 in 5.2 sec.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #49
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
The Macan S and the X3 35i both have 3 liter engines. Somehow Porsche squeezes an extra 40 hp and an extra 39 lb ft of torque out of theirs without turbocharging. Those guys can do magic.

As far as the Macan S being faster though, it's only marginally faster according to the manufacturers' claims. Porsche puts the 0-60 mph time of the Macan S at 5.2 sec. BMW says the X3 35i will do it in 5.3 sec, and the X4 in 5.2 sec.
Actually the Macan S has a twin turbo 3 liter. The Macan Turbo has a 3.6L twin turbo. So nothing magical about the extra power. I've put a stage 1 tune/intake on my X3 and it adds about 50 hp and 60-70 lbs torque with 4.5 added boost; took 15 minutes to install; not magic, just up the boost and change some parameters.

In regards to the Macan S, I can't see spending $15-20k more for this thing as just because of newer/updated interior.

In terms of a .1 better 0-60, I'd say all of this is from the PDK tranny vs our standard 8 speed. They aren't going to be any faster than a 35i and very much slower than a mild tuned 35i.

The only upgrade for me would be the Macan Turbo, but that'll be $90-100k optioned out and that's crazy for a car that is on par performance wise with the GLA 45 amg that's only $60k pretty loaded.

Overall, to each their own, I'm sure original poster will enjoy his new ride and that's all that matters. Just not for me for that price/performance level.
      08-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #50
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372
Quote:

Actually the Macan S has a twin turbo 3 liter. The Macan Turbo has a 3.6L twin turbo. So nothing magical about the extra power. I've put a stage 1 tune/intake on my X3 and it adds about 50 hp and 60-70 lbs torque with 4.5 added boost; took 15 minutes to install; not magic, just up the boost and change some parameters.

In regards to the Macan S, I can't see spending $15-20k more for this thing as just because of newer/updated interior.

In terms of a .1 better 0-60, I'd say all of this is from the PDK tranny vs our standard 8 speed. They aren't going to be any faster than a 35i and very much slower than a mild tuned 35i.

The only upgrade for me would be the Macan Turbo, but that'll be $90-100k optioned out and that's crazy for a car that is on par performance wise with the GLA 45 amg that's only $60k pretty loaded.

Overall, to each their own, I'm sure original poster will enjoy his new ride and that's all that matters. Just not for me for that price/performance level.
To be clear, my readiness to pay more for the Macan comes from my experience of poor fit and finish and reliability with the X3. I by no means mean to say that the BMW is a bad car, but my experience has pointed me in a different direction. The Macan and the SQ5 boast better quality assemblage in my opinion--my X3 felt cheap (though still awesome to drive and look at) after a few months of ownership. It just wasn't a gamble I was willing to make for the third time in a row. I will no doubt miss the "essence of BMW." I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but maybe something about the driving position and switchgear that kept me with BMW for so long. But the Porsche will give me equal or greater performance with those quality touches I didn't have on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #51
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

I'm not blown away by my x3. I've had zero issues with build quality or fit/finish. Perhaps you got a dud, it happens. My biggest issue is laggy throttle, particularly after low speed brake and then accelerate conditions, awkward pause and then goes, hate it. Interior is boring and has been in BMWs for a decade, they need to step it up. New c class is worlds ahead of 3 series in terms of look/feel inside and now they are throwing in a turbo 6 as well, so power and acceleration wise will be on par with 335i

My owners choice thing ends in a year and I won't get an x3 or x4. I was hopping they'd have an m version by now, but not happening. Maybe gla45 amg, might be too small or used sq5 if price is right. Enjoy the new wheels.
      08-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #52
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The numbers don't make sense to me. Drag coefficients of the X3 and Macan are the same. The Porsche is slightly lighter (~100 lb.) and it has more than 10% more hp and torque. Yet both manufacturers claim near identical acceleration figures. It will be interesting to see a good comparison test of these two magnificent machines.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #53
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
The numbers don't make sense to me. Drag coefficients of the X3 and Macan are the same. The Porsche is slightly lighter (~100 lb.) and it has more than 10% more hp and torque. Yet both manufacturers claim near identical acceleration figures. It will be interesting to see a good comparison test of these two magnificent machines.
Indeed. I plotted a constant speed HP requirement for the Macan S using the same assumptions as the X series (all of them). The X3 and the Macan literally superimpose through 155 mph. Not that our 35i can make it there (requires 300 HP), but that is near the top end speed of the Macan S. The Macan is 1" longer, but the glass angles front and back are leaner, explaining the diminished cabin volume overall. Although it is 1.5" lower, it is 2" wider, yet the Cds are the same.

The latter surprises me. With all of the wind tunnel expertise Porsche has, even though it appears they have introduced the vent abilities, why do they still have such a high Cd, which translates into the average HWY numbers? The 2014 X5 XDr50i, which is 5.5" taller, same width, yet close to 1,000 lbs heavier, has a near equal Hwy rating. The Cd of the X5? 0.33.

Much as the X1, the initial X3, the initial GLK, and most first gen models for that matter, it seems the Macan will be a work in progress. Porsche and their marketing divisions have undoubtedly realized the potential of this market, and wished to enter the fray.

With that said, the G01 will undoubtedly be leagues above even our 2015, as it has 2 previous generations' mistakes from which to learn. Only stands to reason. They are adding the M for sure, and seems possibly a 4.0. Whether BMW will make the financial decision to allow a 'luxury' variant with higher-end leathers and more refined interior cabin details to match the other mnfrs remains to be seen, but as indicated in a different thread, the old days of the European model, which seemed to highlight everything but the cabin experience, seems to be nearing an end. A matter of evolution, in which no matter how great the vehicle drives and handles, one still has to occupy the interior cabin, and the European manufacturers must be getting it. Whether one gets 0-60 in 0.2 sec faster seems to be splitting hairs in the real world. BMW definitely needs to clean up the lag in acceleration in our X3s, though, as mentioned above. It was really obvious in our 2011, still there in the 2012, but haven't noticed it in our 2015. That seems something they can correct, if they haven't already.

I've always thought the Asian teams worked from the 'inside out', and the European teams from the 'outside in', but hopefully, those days are coming to an end.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #54
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
BMW definitely needs to clean up the lag in acceleration in our X3s, though, as mentioned above. It was really obvious in our 2011, still there in the 2012, but haven't noticed it in our 2015. That seems something they can correct, if they haven't already.
I'm pretty sure it was taken care of some time ago. Our 2013 (with 32,000 miles now) has never shown a trace of throttle lag. In fact, it's always seemed just the opposite to me. This car is always ready to zip ;-)

I don't mean to get off topic. Back to Macans and X3s.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #55
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
To be clear, my readiness to pay more for the Macan comes from my experience of poor fit and finish and reliability with the X3. I by no means mean to say that the BMW is a bad car, but my experience has pointed me in a different direction. The Macan and the SQ5 boast better quality assemblage in my opinion--my X3 felt cheap (though still awesome to drive and look at) after a few months of ownership. It just wasn't a gamble I was willing to make for the third time in a row. I will no doubt miss the "essence of BMW." I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but maybe something about the driving position and switchgear that kept me with BMW for so long. But the Porsche will give me equal or greater performance with those quality touches I didn't have on the X3.
@xdrive35i do post your comparative review since you have delivery of the Macan.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #56
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75
Quote:
@xdrive35i do post your comparative review since you have delivery of the Macan.
I have a shoot planned for the car in the next few weeks, so I'll post my driving impressions with the photos then. Still loving this thing.
Appreciate 0