BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

M-sport 19" vs stock 18" confort level? questions answered and X3 on order

I'm about to order an X3 3.5i with NAV/m-sport/leather and have a question on tire size vs confort level.

i test drove an X1 with m-sport and found the ride to be pretty harsh. Loved the sport seats.

Then i drove an X3 3.5i with stock tires and found the ride to be much more confortable than the X1. Stock seats sucks, so i wanted to order them but the package is not available anymore and only the m-sport will include it.

So the question is : will i experience a stiffer ride with the 19" ?

I'm still undecided for color as m-sport comes with high gloss shadow line and it would look better on AW. Black is only available as an 800$ option with m-sport and it looks much better with x-line...which is only available with premium package.

Other questions :
1- is leather recommanded? still puzzle me as a 50k+ car doesnt come standard with leather. my fear is that leatherette will be too hot and will degrade faster. i'm planning to keep the car a long time. leather is a 1900$ option.

2-Should i buy an extended warranty?

3-Dealer are pretty stiff on price. Got only a 1100$ rebate on 3.5i+NAV+leather+m-sport. Is there more room for negociations?

Comments:
1- Sport seats are mandatory IMO. Superb confort and the extension is a nice touch.

2-X1 is pretty noisy and doesnt look like a BMW.

3-Had some much fun trying the 3.5. Dont remember the last time i had such a high after driving a car. Took a big curve at 130kmh and the car didnt moved a bit. I usually take this curve at 90kmh...only problem is the speed limit is reached pretty fast.

I should order it on monday.

Last edited by jlr_1304; 04-18-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
I'm about to order an X3 3.5i with NAV/m-sport/leather and have a question on tire size vs confort level.

i test drove an X1 with m-sport and found the ride to be pretty harsh. Loved the sport seats.

Then i drove an X3 3.5i with stock tires and found the ride to be much more confortable than the X1. Stock seats sucks, so i wanted to order them but the package is not available anymore and only the m-sport will include it.

So the question is : will i experience a stiffer ride with the 19" ?

I'm still undecided for color as m-sport comes with high gloss shadow line and it would look better on AW. Black is only available as an 800$ option with m-sport and it looks much better with x-line...which is only available with premium package.

Other questions :
1- is leather recommanded? still puzzle me as a 50k+ car doesnt come standard with leather. my fear is that leatherette will be too hot and will degrade faster. i'm planning to keep the car a long time. leather is a 1900$ option.

2-Should i buy an extended warranty?

3-Dealer are pretty stiff on price. Got only a 1100$ rebate on 3.5i+NAV+leather+m-sport. Is there more room for negociations?

Comments:
1- Sport seats are mandatory IMO. Superb confort and the extension is a nice touch.

2-X1 is pretty noisy and doesnt look like a BMW.

3-Had some much fun trying the 3.5. Dont remember the last time i had such a high after driving a car. Took a big curve at 130kmh and the car didnt moved a bit. I usually take this curve at 90kmh...only problem is the speed limit is reached pretty fast.

I should order it on monday.
If you are set on ordering on Mon coming, you have quite a few decisions to make. You don't say where in Canada you are, nor what kind of a driver you are (ie. like sporty, like comfort, like reliability, etc, etc). Hard to answer many of your queries as only you can tell what you like/need/want.

A couple points - 19" wheels will be slightly harsher than 18"s, but more important will be the tires you have on them. X3s come with the RFTs which are much better than they were even 5 years back - still a RFT has a stiffer sidewall so will ride a bit harsher. Only you can say if the 19"s are too harsh, but many on here may even go larger with aftermarket wheels. Your call..?

Agree the sport seats are very good, hold you well and comfortable on long drives. The only colors you get for "free" in Canada are Alpine White and Jet Black, all others cost $800. Big deal. Most makers charge extra for certain colors. You mention black, but only the metallic black costs extra. The Premium package in Canada has a number of good items in it and is worth the money IMO. The Executive pkg in Canada is one I would skip.

Leather? I feel it is worth the money, but the BMW leatherette is quite good, and some ppl prefer it. Me, I prefer leather. I think most ppl want to see leather in a car costing over $50k so can help at resale time.

Extended warranty? I never buy it at purchase. Although you will get pressure from the sales office to buy it then, you can decline, and, if you still want it or have the car, you can always buy it later up until the original 4 yr/80K warranty expires. You will pay more for it then, but that is always what I do as I am unsure at original purchase if I will keep the car beyond 4 years. Your call.

Price - in Canada, most dealers are harder on price than in the US. You can expect to pay "close" to MSRP but using CanCost Canada or other such services, you may save some. Other posters on here know more about that than I do. The car is in strong demand and lots of backorders, so don't expect to "steal" it.

I have not driven an X1 but it certainly looks like a BMW to me...?? Your call on which one you want. For me, the X1 is too small.

One minor thing, the car is a 35i, not a 3.5. You might as well call it by its correct name if you are going to be driving one. The "number" has nothing to do with engine displacement, like the names of some BMWs in the past.

Lastly, you mention Nav. For me, I skip Nav and save myself $2200 Cdn. I never use it, and I have "heard" that BMW Nav system is so-so (just rumor, so maybe don't take that too seriously). Again, your call.

Good luck, do your research before you go to the dealers. Be careful on here as many will quote content for the US or Euro car, and content will be different between countries.
      04-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

hi, thx for the response.

I'm more sporty, but do like some confort. I'm from montreal region.

NAV is mandatory for may production.

Yes, a lot to think about. There's not much time to think about it as i will be carless mid june and it takes around 1 1/2 month to get the X3.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I think the quality of the leatherette is quite good. I just cannot justify the $1,900 for leather and $2,200 for Nav system.....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Batman2000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E53 X5/F25 X3

The leatherette on my 5yr old E53 looks like new, even after my kids have tried to damage it with passion!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Lemsi1220
Rep
Drives: X3

I've test driven an X3 with 18"s, for me it's quite fine even with the run flat tires. I'm really not impresd with the Nav.systm, i've got a friend who had a big problm with his bmw nav. Ended up payin freakin lots for it to be fixd, i'd suggest that you buy yourself a TOMTOM which cost only around 300$. As for the extended waranty, i am not very familiar. But i took a 3 year/60k parts and service waranty for 500€. My waranty is different coz i had my x3 on a Diplomatic price which cuts down 30% of the price. In return my warranty is differrnt! (wise aszzs lol).
Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

As for NAV, it is mandatory for may orders.

I 've visited the dealer again today to look at some ext. colors and I will order tomorrow a black 35i with NAV and M-sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
ronsil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
As for NAV, it is mandatory for may orders.

I 've visited the dealer again today to look at some ext. colors and I will order tomorrow a black 35i with NAV and M-sport.
I placed my order in April for May production and June delivery. Will I be affected for mandatory nav?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
18" will certainly give a softer ride, but the 19" on the X3 won't be as bad as on the X1 because the vehicle has a longer wheelbase and wider stance. Generally, the lower profile tires are going to transfer more feedback from the road surface. Actually, in the X3 this might be a good thing, and make it feel a bit more like a 3er in that respect.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsil View Post
I placed my order in April for May production and June delivery. Will I be affected for mandatory nav?
Looks like it will be caught in that. Mine was built last week, so no problem.
      04-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsil View Post
I guess so. You didnt have any email from the dealer on that matter?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

pretty much all questions got answered but I can say that leatherette is more reliable then leather. My car is 10 years old and the inside look new. This is much easier to clean and less maintenance. A few people I know with non-bmw have their leather really bad looking. I would prefer having leather to have this cool two-color interior but 2000$ is hard to justify, I spent money on other feature more rewarding during the driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

ordered 35i M-sport, black ext and beige leather + Wave Brown Wood trims +NAV.

Should be here mid-june
Appreciate 0