BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
ciaka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw x3

New owner 2017 BMW X3 s28i

Hello.
Just came back from car dealer where I bought a pre-owned 2017 X3 s28i, with 41k on odometer. It's the rear wheel drive model, has navigation, etc.

What I wonder is if someone can provide insight on what would be good places to check on this car, places that are common trouble areas, or good places to inspect as precautionary maintenance.
Never owned a BMW before, however I do own few Deuchland cars. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also
- where do I get the factory service manual for familiarization and future maintenance? Any good download places? Pms? Etc? Thank you.

Last question is what do BMW owners use as diagnostic packages on maintenance and repairs?

Something that does more than just clear errors or reset oil change reminders.
Greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Congrats! I've been an F25 owner for a bit more than 2 years but have owned BMWs for longer. General advice i like to give for these vehicles is
- 7.5k mi oil changes
- 30k transmission service (filter and fluid)
- 30k differential fluid change

You don't have the transfer case so you have one less thing to go wrong!

Not sure how upgraded the electric water pump and thermostat is over the years but if it is any indication of other BMWs, 60k miles is when I would recommend changing the water pump and thermostat as preventive maintenance. Mine failed at 63k. There is also a part that is called the mickey mouse part because of how it looks. Its made of plastic and when it goes bad it leaks all the coolant out of the car. Its called a coolant flange I think. There is a metal upgraded part that is about $20. Easy enough fix and something to do when your replacing the pump since the coolant would be drained.

This is based on preference but I change my spark plugs every 30k. BMW I believe states 100k intervals and the general consensus around here is 60k miles. But everytime I change mine at 30k I notice a positive difference. Plus I don't want to stress the ignition coils when spark plugs are cheap and easy enough to replace.

The oil filter housing gasket tends to go bad over the years and it leaks oil. The oil cooler connected to it tends to leak as well and it leaks oil all over your belt as well so if you notice oil there I would replace it asap.

The charge pipe usually blows up at the throttle body when there is alot of boost. Many have upgraded to an aftermarket charge pipe that is metal and not plastic like the original part.

I have been using ISTA to connect the laptop to the car. It is free if you search online. You just need a k+dcan cable with the switch on it to connect with the car. I believe to code stuff with the car you can use an enet cable. Not 100% sure since I don't have an enet cable.

I believe that may be it. I might have missed something but others will probably chime in!

Last edited by Bdavi011; 01-22-2021 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 3