BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Danielali
Rep
Drives: X3

Wheel wobble/slip/vibration when making sharp turns.

I recently noticed a wheel whobble or vibration, its almost like the wheels are hesitant or there is something stuck in them, while making sharp turns. The parking lot in my building has a 007 style circular climb up for 3 floors and its very noticeable in it or when I make sharp turns at low speed.

I read the posts and I'm thinking it could be the axle or transfer case. Although I have driven cars with a bad axle and they were more clunky feeling and the issue was easily felt at every turn. This is a bit unique.

A few months ago I had to replace the rear tire with a new one. When I bought the car (used), they last owner had just put on new rear tires. I drove it for a year like that, then 3 months ago I had to replace one of the rear tires which had had inner sidewall excessive wear. I put a new one on and have been driving like that since. The new tire was the same brand/tread as the other four. The tire mechanic said it's ok since the other one was newer as well.

Now after reading the threads it sounds like that is not a good idea. Since, I did not know its best to replace all four tires given the issues with the transfer case.

Do you guys think I could've damaged the transfer case? If so would I have to replace it or could it be repaired? I've read some posts where it says you can change the transfer case oil to fix such issues?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Its a 2011 X3 with 145k kms or 90k miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Steering rack? I don't see how the transfer case would cause symptoms like these.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

Not sure if this is your problem, but if your center differential is no longer releasing, then you can get binding when you do a really tight turn. Basically the two inside tires are trying roll at different speeds. You'll get symptoms that might be similar to yours. I've seen this on a Jeep Grand Cherokee that had it's center differential stuck in 4wd (locked) mode on the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Danielali
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingX3 View Post
Not sure if this is your problem, but if your center differential is no longer releasing, then you can get binding when you do a really tight turn. Basically the two inside tires are trying roll at different speeds. You'll get symptoms that might be similar to yours. I've seen this on a Jeep Grand Cherokee that had it's center differential stuck in 4wd (locked) mode on the street.
@dreamingx3 Yeah, I'm perplexed. Indy mechanic does not have time to look at it, will have to wait a few days for that. Can't take it to the dealer because they want $500 just to diagnose.

Feels like what you're saying, the wheels feel like they're dragging and then there is a jerk and noise. Almost like something is stuck in the wheel. I hope I didn't mess up the transfer case.

Will update once it's up on the rack and gets looked up by the mechanic.
Appreciate 0