BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Carly for BMW 2016 LCI experiences.

Afternoon all.
I have a 2016 2.0d M Sport F25 LCI.

I do quite a lot of local driving to/from work so am concerned about potential DPF issues.

After a lot of research, Ive found the best way to satisfy these concerns is to have the option of forcing a regen when it suits me, ideal for times when I know I am going to give the car a long run out.
The best, most user friendly method for doing this would seem to be Carly for BMW.
This is a small module that plugs into the OBD port and then speaks to an app on your phone.
The module cost just over £50, the app £35 and the add on to enable DPF regens £8. All in £93 seems quite a lot, but for what this package can do, and the fact you can use it on virtually any BMW, I think its a decent buy.

OK< so now down to the nitty gritty.

Plug the module in and then (Im using iphone) search for its wifi signal and connect. Seamless and done in seconds.

Next, open the app, select your car and connect to it.

Then do a full scan and check for any engine management fault codes.
Mine had one - something to do with a sunroof - my car doesnt have a sunroof so I just deleted the code, all done with a single press of a button.

Next, you can go into the coding areas. As you enter each coding area, the software prompts you to back up and email the settings to yourself, again, as with all things Carly, this is seamless.

Once backed up, you can go into each coding area and start to play.....

There are lots and lots if things you can code. I didnt go too mad.

There were 3 main things that annoy me, all of which I coded out.....

1. Stop/start coded to remember last setting, so basically its always off now!
2. Headlamp wash is now every 10th screenwash time. It was every 3rd time previously and I was fed up of it spraying screenwash across my nice clean car!
3. I can now open and close the electric tailgate via the remote.

Finally, and the main reason I bought this....with a single button press I can force a DPF regen.
I can see the amount of soot/ash in my DPF and can tell the car to do a regen at a time that suits me.....a really excellent development for diesel drivers.

In summary, although its a little on the expensive side, the Carly system is very professional, slick and user friendly.
It works exactly as advertised and comes with superb aftersales support.

It can do literally hundreds of things, including reading some very complex parameters from the car.
Have a look at what Carly can do for the F25 and F26, its very comprehensive. All the details are on the Carly.com website.

I dont think I will use it anymore to code anything.....apart from the DPF regens....thats what I bought it for.
The only time I might need to recode would be if it went to BMW and they did an update which dumped out my settings.....they can do what they want, Carly will enable me to tailor the car back to my tastes in minutes!

All in all, I thoroughly recommend this cracking tool.

Any questions just post on here and I will update you when I can.

Note, just one more thing to add....you can download a free version of the software from the app store to get a feel for it. It doesnt allow you to do much, but gives you a good idea for how it works and feels on the phone.

Last edited by Kugaman1; 12-19-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Great review. I don't have a diesel so being able to understand how it works is pretty interesting. I do have the Carly app and adaptor and have used them on my F25 a few times now. Beyond the coding that you mentioned, I also made adjust to the legal boot up screens on the idrive, DVD play back while driving (because why not?), code out bulb check when switching to LEDs on various exterior lights and some other minor tweaks like welcome lighting etc.

It's a great app and has come in handy on multiple vehicles AND while shopping for new used cars.
      01-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
Troppo
Keyboard warrior
Rep
Drives: X3.

Hello all,

Just coded off the auto stop start - worth the price for that alone!

However, I can't connect to coding for the iDrive. Have sent message to Carly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Bluetooth adapter, android phone.

Ta
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #4
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Yeah mate, Im using an iphone and I cant connect to idrive either.
However, its not really an issue for me. Coding the DPF regens, turning off the stop start and altering the number of times the headlight wash system works makes it worth every penny for me!
If you get any joy from Carly, please let us know......theyre normally pretty good at getting back to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Idrive coding hasn't been an issue for me... but mines a 2011 so may be running different software than the two of you.

Only issue I've had is coding anything d
for the seatbelts.
      01-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #6
Troppo
Keyboard warrior
Rep
Drives: X3.

Yes, found out that my iDrive is too new....

They are coming out with an upgrade soon....can't wait to turn off the stupid warning messages....
Appreciate 0