BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Door sound

I'm nitpicking because I've had my car for over 18 months and I have to say something--it's been this way since delivery. When you close the driver or front passenger door, how does it sound? Rather than sealing into place, mine makes a much more utilitarian sounding "cl-l-l-ank." The rear doors are super satisfying to shut, sealing with a "cathunk." But the fronts just don't give me the dramatic sound I love when I close a car door. When I'm in the car, the door doesn't give me the confidence that I'm sealed away inside a cockpit. When I'm outside of the car, it seems over-simulated--like I'm closing the door to a G-wagen, but instead it's a car-based SUV. It doesn't feel finite, and it doesn't fit the car's personality.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I'm nitpicking because I've had my car for over 18 months and I have to say something--it's been this way since delivery. When you close the driver or front passenger door, how does it sound? Rather than sealing into place, mine makes a much more utilitarian sounding "cl-l-l-ank." The rear doors are super satisfying to shut, sealing with a "cathunk." But the fronts just don't give me the dramatic sound I love when I close a car door. When I'm in the car, the door doesn't give me the confidence that I'm sealed away inside a cockpit. When I'm outside of the car, it seems over-simulated--like I'm closing the door to a G-wagen, but instead it's a car-based SUV. It doesn't feel finite, and it doesn't fit the car's personality.
Have not noticed this personally. Have you tried a front door on a showroom x3 to see if it is just your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I find my X3's doors all close with the same BMW "ca-thunk" that I've been used to forever now.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
My 2011 sounds normal as to what you'd expect on all four doors but I a couple cars ago I had a 2005 X3 {bought new} and it had this really light sounding door close that definitely did not inspire confidence. I'd check out some new ones and compare. Maybe a seal is off. Or your car is so well sealed the air pressure is keeping the drivers door from closing perfectly. Crack a window and try it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

My driver side door makes a funny sound in cold weather. It sounds like when you put a piece of metal on the edge of a table and thump it. Has a vibrating sound. but when the outside temp. rise to 55 degrees or above it quites. All other doors are fine. I am thinking the window regulator or window track may be loose when it is cold and tighens up when the metal warms up.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I've tried about five X3's and they all sound the same. I tried a couple of X5's and they're much better. The sedans are much more satisfying. My door is solid, just not satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

i know exactly what you mean. I've always noticed that on my 2012 35i model. When I'm inside and someone gets out of the passenger side front sometimes it seems like the door closes so hard the glass is going to break. it doesn't give the same sound as the rear doors. So i have to tell people not to slam the door but maybe they aren't slamming it at all but that's the sound it normally makes.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

my doesnt do that have you checked the door seal to make sure its secure
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
with windows closed, it should sound solid. with windows open even halfway, would give you the "clank"
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

The longer I own my X3 the less I think of BMW as a premium car brand. The door closing thunk is definitely a premium car trait.
      03-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 28i MSport Cbn Blk/Oys

My '13 Msport does this too and makes me crazy. I've owned BMW for the last 20 years and this is the first of the typical Nissan/Toyota thing. My daughter, 7 years old, used to have to give a good push to get the door to close on my previous BMW's but this one she slams the hell out of just cause it's so light. I repeat to her every time upon exit to "remember the doors aren't as heavy as the X5 so close it gently"

Other than that I love this car!