BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Gravel Road Performance

Don't know how often y'all drive on gravel roads. For me it's rare. Today was the second time with the F25 and I'm blown away again.

Earlier in life I drove unpaved, gravel roads more often. 3 series sedans, a 4runner, Corllas, misc pick-ups, a Chevy Malibu, eighteen wheelers.

I've never experienced anything so smoth and yet controlled as the X3. Washboard small and large, parallel ruts, perpendicular ruts. Didn't matter. Even with the performance tires I cruised over it all comfortably and in control. My previous car would have bounced about and jarred mevaround. Not a bit of that here. Just beautiful. I'd expected the X3 not to perform as well as the 4runner had -- totally wrong!

Of ourse, the baby got dirty, so had to wash her when I got home!!!
      07-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Smooth with 19s? Do you also have vdc?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Hmmm interesting. When we took a road trip back to Pittsburgh the roads in PA were terrible and the ride was not smooth (running 19" 309's) RFT. I was actually surprised how much you could feel every bump, patch and groove in the road. It really wasn't comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I do have 19's and VDC. The ride on gravel road (at least the two I've driven) is totally different than rough pavement. Only driving a max of about 35 mph, too. Maintained gravel road, too, so not that bad. Max ridge was probably at 6 in, most half that. Same kind of thing my other cars had done so poorly on.

To me, the thing you describe on the PA road trip is what I call road feel, and I like it. If the suspension takes all that stuff out, I get no sense of what the wheels and suspension are dealing with and lose the ability to make good decisions about how fast I can push it. Particularly in curvy roads and poor conditions. To me, that's part of being a sport-oriented car vice luxury. Not only expected, but preferred.
      07-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

I did gravel road many times and I agree the performance was very high-end, I felt secure with a lot of grip.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

Absolutely agree that the rough road performance is exceptional.
I live with an Army firing range on one side (often travelled when the red flag is down and the tracked vehicles are off) and Kielder forest on the other: For those outside the UK just google Kielder rally

The only thing seriously limiting me is the fear of stone chips - it is very easy to go way too fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

We live 2mi off of the state highway on a dirt road. We have an elevation gain of almost 1000 ft. I can't wait to try the F25! I know my E83 felt like a rally car, as I was able to fly up the hill like a bat out of hell! In the winter, it's a bit challenging with snow packed roads. I use Nokian Hakkas on my rig and it's a beast.

From what I read, the F25 should perform just as good as the E83, so I am excited!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Haven't had a chance to go over gravel but I did get to drive on a road that had all the concrete removed and was in the process of being repaved earlier this week. Was going 35-40 mph (40 mph speed limit) over it and decided to slow down in order to not eff-up the suspension, I was clenching my teeth by the time it was over. 18s on RFTs and no VDC btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Thumbs up

Pretty nice ride off-road. Took an aborted attempt to drive to a ghost town in California Sierras last month on a dual track, with snow covering parts and during the rain. Last snow drift was obviously crossed by a vehicle with a heck of a lot more ground clearance, so I had to turn around. In the slush and the mud at times you could feel the drift, but it wasn't close to as bad as ending up sideways
About 22 miles total. Engine compartment needs some sort of screen or shield, though. Couple hours cleaning all the dirt and gravel from the compartment.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Hmmm interesting. When we took a road trip back to Pittsburgh the roads in PA were terrible and the ride was not smooth (running 19" 309's) RFT. I was actually surprised how much you could feel every bump, patch and groove in the road. It really wasn't comfortable.
PA roads don't count. Even a hovercraft bounces around on those! Rumor in top secret circles is that the alien spacecraft that crashed in Roswell actually lost control when trying to buzz over Pennsylvania... The PA Turnpike is probably the poorest maintained road in the US - and they are constantly working on it. No.... no corruption there....

But seriously.... my X3 with 19" feels very similar to my E90 that had 17" on the same roads I am accustomed to. I would guess that larger bumps such as unpaved roads with washboard and ruts might actually be more impressive because it gives the suspension something to do. On paved freeway that is just rough, it still seems to transfer much of that to the driver.

But then, I pity the poor soul who buys a BMW for the smooth ride... you want the three pointed star for that.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
PA roads don't count. Even a hovercraft bounces around on those! Rumor in top secret circles is that the alien spacecraft that crashed in Roswell actually lost control when trying to buzz over Pennsylvania... The PA Turnpike is probably the poorest maintained road in the US - and they are constantly working on it. No.... no corruption there....
I guess they just weren't "Shovel Ready".
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

But seriously.... my X3 with 19" feels very similar to my E90 that had 17" on the same roads I am accustomed to. I would guess that larger bumps such as unpaved roads with washboard and ruts might actually be more impressive because it gives the suspension something to do. On paved freeway that is just rough, it still seems to transfer much of that to the driver.

But then, I pity the poor soul who buys a BMW for the smooth ride... you want the three pointed star for that.
Nope, I didn't buy it for being a comfortable ride. I knew what I was getting. You are right in that PA roads are the worst and driving an hour and a half on the PA Turnpike sucked. The X3 feels just fine to me driving everywhere else, but it was REALLY rough going in PA! Can't even imagine the previous generation X on those roads..... I have never had to sit through so much road construction, detours and BS as I did this trip back. Guess when I lived in Pittsburgh you just suck it up as normal. Now that I'm elsewhere....it BLOWS.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, I didn't buy it for being a comfortable ride. I knew what I was getting. You are right in that PA roads are the worst and driving an hour and a half on the PA Turnpike sucked. The X3 feels just fine to me driving everywhere else, but it was REALLY rough going in PA! Can't even imagine the previous generation X on those roads..... I have never had to sit through so much road construction, detours and BS as I did this trip back. Guess when I lived in Pittsburgh you just suck it up as normal. Now that I'm elsewhere....it BLOWS.
Uh-oh.... I'll have to be coming that way in a few weeks on my way to the mitten.... is it really bad on the turnpike? There is really no other way to go - I have to travel the majority of the PA TP. Great scenery... horrible roads.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Uh-oh.... I'll have to be coming that way in a few weeks on my way to the mitten.... is it really bad on the turnpike? There is really no other way to go - I have to travel the majority of the PA TP. Great scenery... horrible roads.
Here you go Ledzep: http://www.paturnpike.com/improve/conschedule.aspx
That gives you a blow by blow of what you'll be dealing with! Be glad you're not coming to Michigan this week. It's supposed to be in the high 90's all week with a heat index of 105+ through Saturday. The humidity this week feels like it is the tropics. Thank god for AC.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
That gives you a blow by blow of what you'll be dealing with! Be glad you're not coming to Michigan this week. It's supposed to be in the high 90's all week with a heat index of 105+ through Saturday. The humidity this week feels like it is the tropics. Thank god for AC.
Ah.....San Diego

I guess I'll go workout now and then have a cold beer out on the patio!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Ah.....San Diego

I guess I'll go workout now and then have a cold beer out on the patio!
Jealous!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #17
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool, thanks. How was Ohio? Besides being a boring straight line, I mean.

Also, if you have your Nav guidance on, RTTI will tell you when there are construction slowdowns, etc. It's not like you can avoid them, but at least you know about them and can prepare yourself mentally.

Yeah, I know about that opressive heat, we're getting it here too. But we're lucky enough to have salt water humidity along with it... a real treat! I'm hoping for highs in the low eighties and cool evenings when I come.

Last edited by LEDZEP; 07-19-2011 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Ledzep, Ohio wasn't bad. Just 2 spots they were working on and it didn't look like anything major. The nav. did bring up all the delays and it was funny because she wanted to re-route us in some CRAZY directions to avoid the back-ups. It was faster to sit through the traffic then go her suggested route!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ledzep, Ohio wasn't bad. Just 2 spots they were working on and it didn't look like anything major. The nav. did bring up all the delays and it was funny because she wanted to re-route us in some CRAZY directions to avoid the back-ups. It was faster to sit through the traffic then go her suggested route!
That's usually the case, especially on turnpikes. Unless you really know the local area (unlikely) you could find yourself going WAY out of the way to avoid a ten minute delay.

Basically, once I hit Breezewood, PA - it's just a straight shot until I hang a right at Toledo.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
That's usually the case, especially on turnpikes. Unless you really know the local area (unlikely) you could find yourself going WAY out of the way to avoid a ten minute delay.

Basically, once I hit Breezewood, PA - it's just a straight shot until I hang a right at Toledo.
We always have to head across the entire Ohio turnpike. Very BORING, but I have to say they keep their turnpike in great condition and plow it like crazy in the Winter. Soon as you cross into PA, you know it & PA keeps raising its tolls CONSTANTLY. Pathetic.
Appreciate 0