BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Mud Flaps or no?

I originally ordered these with my car but when it arrived they didn't have them and the CA kind of talked me out of them, he said you don't need em... at the time I was too excited to get all that paper work done and get out the door, I figured I could always add them later.

Now, I'm thinking of getting them but want some feedback from anyone who has them. Since the day I got my car 1 week ago today, it magically seems to down pour everytime I commute or drive on the 405 Freeway. The first day I drove it home I had Semi's spraying, and tires kicking up dirty grime... and every day's work commute has been the same My X3's gonna need a bath this weekend for sure!

Do the mud flaps help in anyway from your own wheels kicking dirty water/mud or just for looks? How do you like your mudflaps if you installed them and do you recommend them? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Get them! Easy to install (if you are somewhat mechanically inclined) and they match the car well. They should help to keep the spray down.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

I installed them myself. You will need a torx driver and other tools. I bought mine for protection from small rocks being kicked up, not looks. Besides a lot of gravel trucks on I-15 I wanted the protection out on the dirt and gravel roads in the desert. Wouldn't be too concerned with dirty water or mud.

Last edited by Radioactive; 06-02-2011 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
I installed them myself. You will need a torx driver and other tools. I bought my for protection from small rocks being kicked up, not looks. Besides a lot of gravel trucks on I-15 I wanted the protection out on the dirt and gravel roads in the desert. Wouldn't be too concerned with dirty water or mud.
Ha ha! yeah I guess cause it's so new I wanna keep it clean, hate to see the mud all over it, but yeah around here there are a lot of gravel and dirt roads as well. I drove down a gravel road just yesterday with tons of huge mud puddles, mud and gravel, but I took it really easy as I could hear the gravel kicking up when I went faster...

Did you order online or get them from the dealer? I see amazon has a seller that sells them, might order those unless someone knows a better place? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
x99
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D (F25) since 1 of April

Get the Mud Flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
I originally ordered these with my car but when it arrived they didn't have them and the CA kind of talked me out of them, he said you don't need em... at the time I was too excited to get all that paper work done and get out the door, I figured I could always add them later.

Now, I'm thinking of getting them but want some feedback from anyone who has them. Since the day I got my car 1 week ago today, it magically seems to down pour everytime I commute or drive on the 405 Freeway. The first day I drove it home I had Semi's spraying, and tires kicking up dirty grime... and every day's work commute has been the same My X3's gonna need a bath this weekend for sure!

Do the mud flaps help in anyway from your own wheels kicking dirty water/mud or just for looks? How do you like your mudflaps if you installed them and do you recommend them? Thanks!
Just get them = great for you - your SUV and every one driving behind you
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
I think they are a great investment. Protects your car and look good as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
Get them! Easy to install (if you are somewhat mechanically inclined) and they match the car well. They should help to keep the spray down.
Agree

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
Did you order online or get them from the dealer? I see amazon has a seller that sells them, might order those unless someone knows a better place? Thanks!
I got mine from the dealer using the gift certificate from the driving event. Here are the tools you'll need; a torx driver (the small the better, length of tool itself), 8mm socket and wrench a drill and maybe a small hammer to lightly seat the rivets. Can do it without removing the tires, but remember to turn your front tires for easier access.

Last edited by Radioactive; 06-02-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey thanks everyone! I'm gonna look into ordering these now.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Just waiting for the ones for M Sport to become available. I will get them. I also think the black mudflaps will coordinate nicely with my AW M Sport, since the entire exterior is black/white.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
X3forMe
Old Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

You can check out the pics of my mud flaps here
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forMe View Post
You can check out the pics of my mud flaps here
Hey thanks! Great pics... I like it. I don't know why the CA tried to talk me outta them. He was like... "mud flaps?? you don't want mud flaps on the new X3!"
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
I installed them myself. You will need a torx driver and other tools. I bought mine for protection from small rocks being kicked up, not looks. Besides a lot of gravel trucks on I-15 I wanted the protection out on the dirt and gravel roads in the desert. Wouldn't be too concerned with dirty water or mud.
You need a Torx driver ? I bought the genuine BMW ones, and I didn't need a Torx driver... maybe there are 2 separate sets ?

To the OP : it will look great on a SE... not quite sure it would be right on a M-Sport (if they ever release a kit for it)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northX3 View Post
You need a Torx driver ? I bought the genuine BMW ones, and I didn't need a Torx driver... maybe there are 2 separate sets ?
Yeah, I was surprised when I pulled out the screw set that was "torx". Luckily I had the right driver. Mine were OEM also. Maybe they were short on the proper screw sets the day they package.
Appreciate 0