BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2011, 03:33 AM   #23
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

This configuration makes the car look like a beauty! Good choice!

If i wasn't so dissapointed by the cars comfort while doing a test drive this weekend I've would have ordered directly this same config! Now it's still a difficult choice for me... going for the 4x4 or going for the luxury and comfort
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #24
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Very nice car, great review and good pictures. I will keep an eye open for this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
Dobs
Rep
Drives: F25 xdrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You can control whether stop start kicks by how hard you press the brake pedal. It needs a firm press to stop the engine so if you're somewhere where you expect a wait, you can press firmly and it will stop, whereas if you're somewhere where you really don't want it stopping the engine, you can lightly press it and the engine won't stop
Opposite way round to mine then ?? Strange.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
Opposite way round to mine then ?? Strange.

come to a standstill and the stand on the brake pedal hard, release momentarily and put foot back on the brake. This disables SS.
I don't think I've tried pressing firmly and releasing momentarily but mine will always kick in (providing it has enough charge) if I firmly press and hold the brake without releasing (but if I flick the parking brake on and release it stays stopped). I think it restarts when I release the brake and before i touch the accelerator but I'll check. Auto hold and SS is as you described for me

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #27
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

300 miles in and still very happy - have turned of the mpg so I dont ruin my fun - intend to take a look at 500 miles

Oyster leather is holding up well - no sign of dirt or grime yet (early days though!) it really looks good with the oyster/black contrast versus my previous beige/beige interior

Ipod Artwork

Despite using BMW ipod cable I cant seem to get album artwork to show? Any ideas welcome!

Heated Seats

Heated front seats get very hot very quick them seem to cool down to comfortable temp (compared to my previous E60) - this seems to happen even with one light on (lowest setting)

On Down Side

One issue is my sons cybex child car seat doesnt seem to sit very well in the back (had same issue on test drive). In the X3 it moves when not secured with the seat belt and even when secured with the seat belt it tips slightly when cornering and slides about a bit (I think it is the bit between the seat and door that stops the child car seat sitting properly?)

The same child car seat fitted fine in my E60 and didnt move when not secured with seat belt (when empty) - very concerned as the boy and his saftey comes 1st, will need to try new ones at the weekend.

Anyone else fitted a car seat for 2+ years old and had issues? (too heavy/old for isofix type)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps

Last edited by BIMMER UK 76; 04-13-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #28
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

Very sharp looking and I am glad you finally got it! I have the same wheels and have been happy with them although I had no idea what I was getting til it arrived (of course the CA assured me I would be happy with any of them).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #29
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

Bimmer UK 76, interested in your remarks about album artwork. I've found much the same using a memory stick but confusingly the odd album and some singles do display the artwork. I thought it might be the file extension but there's no consistency with .wav or.mp3 files.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

All of the album artwork on my iPod and iPhone 3G works when connected using the standard white Apple USB cable. All of the artwork was "embedded" using iTunes. Artwork can be saved as a hidden system jpg (iTunes) or actually embedded into an mp3 or similar file using ID3 tags. Embedding into individual files uses a lot more space where multiple tracks share the same artwork (e.g. most normal albums) so the iTunes method is preferable

No album artwork is ever displayed on imported mp3s saved on the HDD, as far as I can tell. I assume that the import ignores image files and image ID3 tags

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #31
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
All of the album artwork on my iPod and iPhone 3G works when connected using the standard white Apple USB cable. All of the artwork was "embedded" using iTunes. Artwork can be saved as a hidden system jpg (iTunes) or actually embedded into an mp3 or similar file using ID3 tags. Embedding into individual files uses a lot more space where multiple tracks share the same artwork (e.g. most normal albums) so the iTunes method is preferable

No album artwork is ever displayed on imported mp3s saved on the HDD, as far as I can tell. I assume that the import ignores image files and image ID3 tags
All artwork was obtained through itunes? Will have another play

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
All artwork was obtained through itunes? Will have another play
It was added through iTunes by selecting an album and right clicking and selecting Get Info and then dragging the artwork jpg into the window. Unfortunately there isn't anyway to do this en masse and iTunes is poor at finding artwork for you unless you bought all of your albums from iTunes originally. Any slight deviation from the official iTunes album name and it won't find any artwork. I got most of my artwork using windows media player - File - Options - Library - Retrieve additional information from the internet - and then added it using iTunes as described above.

You end up with 3 JPG files per album folder called AlbumArt_{C694E383-58B1-4B0A-8B5A-4AAE8AF37F33}_Large.jpg, AlbumArt_{C694E383-58B1-4B0A-8B5A-4AAE8AF37F33}_Small.jpg and AlbumArtSmall.jpg. Once you see the artwork in iTunes, it will also appear on the iDrive when the iPod / iPhone is connected using the standard white USB cable

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #33
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I should point out that the jpg files are hidden by the O/S but you can see them if you switch on show hidden and O/S files in Windows Explorer

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #34
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Very nice color combo. Oyster will by my choice as well - I currently have Lemon in my 3 Series a very rare interior, similar to Oyster. I like the light wood as it contrasts nicely between the Oyster and black components... might have to go that route myself if I order one.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #35
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Congrats on the new car, looks great Bimmer.

Re the nav, does it really have 7 digit post code? If so that's interesting news, it's about time BMW offered it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #36
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Congrats on the new car, looks great Bimmer.

Re the nav, does it really have 7 digit post code? If so that's interesting news, it's about time BMW offered it.
Yes, full post codes and the iDrive wheel removes letters and numbers that don't make a valid post code. E.g. after EC4M_ only the digits that make a valid post code appear

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #37
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

But it's often much better to use Google Send to Car or iPhone app to send a location to the car rather than fiddling around with the iDrive entering post codes

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #38
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Gave the X3 a first hand wash today and despite being 6' tall I had to stand on the door sills to be able to reach the middle of the roof!

Mudflaps also arrived and will do a DIY fit tomorrow with some updated pictures hopefully

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #39
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Nice writeup, and nice photos. Congrats. Great combo of colors too.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #40
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Fitted rear mud flaps this morning (without taking wheels off)

Really easy once you have done one, approx 30 mis in total (most of the time on your back)

Tools used T25 Torx bit, small ratchet screwdriver, 8mm spanner

Name:  DSCF3096.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  DSCF3097.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  DSCF3099.JPG
Views: 863
Size:  46.0 KB

They seem give the rear a slightly wider stance

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #41
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Fitted rear mud flaps this morning (without taking wheels off)

Really easy once you have done one, approx 30 mis in total (most of the time on your back)

Tools used T25 Torx bit, small ratchet screwdriver, 8mm spanner

Attachment 510960

Attachment 510961

Attachment 510962

They seem give the rear a slightly wider stance
nice any chance to see the whole vehicle with the flaps?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #42
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Here you go

Name:  DSCF3174.JPG
Views: 902
Size:  74.2 KB

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #43
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Mudflaps look great Are you fitting fronts ?
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #44
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWilson View Post
Mudflaps look great Are you fitting fronts ?
Not sure, probably!?

Child Seat

Solved the childs car seat with a Cybex Pallas fix seat, nearly went for the BMW Junior I-II isofix seat but at £265 it was a tough decision. Wanted one with a restraint cushion at the front and with isofix which made it a 2 horse race.

Pro Nav

Had chance to use the Pro Nav for the first time proper this afternoon and it was a sucess

Split screen views along with additional instructions for driver on the info display make it a doddle

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0