BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

X3 xdrive 30d details

Anyone have any pricing / equipment details on the 30d yet?
I've test driven the 20d a couple of times, but am keen to order the 30d asap.
But don't know starting price, what's included as std., and when I might expect to be able actually get one! (based in UK btw)
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Hi,

As an indication, the German price is pretty much bang on 10K € higher than the 20d. That price includes 18" alloys, 8-speed slushbox and some minor goodies like titanium grille.

Seems a bit steep to me, especially considering how nifty the 20d feels.

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

It does seem a bit steep, the outgoing model was about 4k different I think.

Perhaps UK has different pricing model / equipment..
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
MPK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mazda3

In Australia, the 30d comes standard with 18" wheels, leather seats, X-line, automatic tailgate and front grille.

When i speced my x3 with same options there was approx AUS $10K difference between the 20d and 30d. I couldn't justify paying $10K more for the 30d although if i had the money i'd go for it. Life's like that isn't it!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #5
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

The stats for the 20d engine in the new X3 are amazing frankly.
Unfortunately I own a 3-series with a 30d at the moment, and test driving the X3 20d left me feeling wanting, not enough oomph! I've got used to instead power at low-revs and what's even more compelling is that the 30d in the X3 - is actually slightly faster than the 30d in my 4.5 year old 3'er!

Hope some concrete UK details come out soon, the suspense is killing me!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Found out this morning that the X3 30d will start at £37,240 OTR.
No other detail though.
That's quite a markup on 20d, compared to previous X3 model.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

The thing that bothers me with the 20D is the massive turbo lag before 1,500 rpm. There is simply no drive whatsover and imo it's borderline dangerous.

I expect the larger 30D not to have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
The thing that bothers me with the 20D is the massive turbo lag before 1,500 rpm. There is simply no drive whatsover and imo it's borderline dangerous.

I expect the larger 30D not to have the same issue.
The lag is only an issue in manual cars, not in the auto version. For the 20d, the auto option is an absolute must IMHO.

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
The stats for the 20d engine in the new X3 are amazing frankly.
Unfortunately I own a 3-series with a 30d at the moment, and test driving the X3 20d left me feeling wanting, not enough oomph! I've got used to instead power at low-revs and what's even more compelling is that the 30d in the X3 - is actually slightly faster than the 30d in my 4.5 year old 3'er!

I know what you mean. My current car (Saab 9-3 BioPower) har 315 hp/430 Nm, so moving to the X3 20d is a serious step down in performance.

I was, however, impressed by how brisk acceleration was with the 8-speed autoo, and expect to improve upon that with a suitable software upgrade (most indicate 215-220 hp/450-460 Nm).

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjernstrom View Post
I know what you mean. My current car (Saab 9-3 BioPower) har 315 hp/430 Nm, so moving to the X3 20d is a serious step down in performance.

I was, however, impressed by how brisk acceleration was with the 8-speed autoo, and expect to improve upon that with a suitable software upgrade (most indicate 215-220 hp/450-460 Nm).

Karl
The shape of the torque and power curves is far more important to how a car drives and feels on the road than max figures. Many tuners introduce even more turbo lag / poorer throttle responses with remaps.

It's good to hear that the auto 20D doesn't suffer the truely awful low rpm response of the manual. I reckon I'll still buy the 30D because it sounds less agricultural and has far more grunt.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
Found out this morning that the X3 30d will start at £37,240 OTR.
No other detail though.
That's quite a markup on 20d, compared to previous X3 model.

New X5 30Dse can be had for £39k.

I expect once we get to summer for brokers to start discounting cars resulting in more haggling power against dealers. But I would only expect real savings from 2012 onwards when all the 'hoo-hah' of the new model dies down.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

The X5 30d is £45k+ OTR. Can it really be had for a 6k discount?
I don't know how it stacks up equipment wise (standard), do you get more goodies as STD, less, or about same as X3 30d, we'll have to speculate a bit about the X3 30d STD. equipment..
Then also the X3 in terms of size, performance and efficiency are better, at least for me
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

0-100kmh in 6.2s but only having a fuel consumption of 6 litres per 100km. Enough to sway me (hope the missus likes it as it is her car!). This will replace "her" M3 which replaced her X5M (which she hated having to fuel up every 350km).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
I guess you are comparing it to your M3?

Never had any lag problems in my 2.0d E60 (I guess you learn to drive it quickly)

I was very impressed with the New X3 8 speed auto pulling away from a standing start and it was noticeably better than my E60

Lag or not the X3 would out perform a very wide range of diesel and petrol cars from a standing start - so to call it dangerous seems a little dramatic - again I assume you are used to the raw power of your M3 which I could only drool over

Im sure the 30d would address some your 20d issues (if only the aggricultral tones which are hard to hide) - I know I will have some regrets not waiting for the 30d - maybe next time

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
I was very impressed with the New X3 8 speed auto pulling away from a standing start and it was noticeably better than my E60

Lag or not the X3 would out perform a very wide range of diesel and petrol cars from a standing start - so to call it dangerous seems a little dramatic - again I assume you are used to the raw power of your M3 which I could only drool over
I fully agree. And I come from the world of decently modified ethanol powered turbo cars (current 315 hp/430 Nm, previous one 374 hp/515 Nm).

No concerns about not being able to keep up the pace, either around town or on the highway. Sure, some of my motorway habits (160-180 km/h cruising) might have to be slightly altered...

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys, you're missing my point

The horrible lag of the 20D is a fact, one doesn't need to compare it against any car It's a compromise of a small capacity turbo charged diesel that has been tuned to produce high peak power for it's capacity. There is no performance until the turbo spools up. So for almost 500rpm there is no drive, ie from idle. This is very apparent in the manual when slowing down for a hazard, selecting 2nd gear and pressing the accelerator. One has to wait seconds for the turbo to respool. At roundabouts and junctions, it is dangerous. The autobox may well kickdown to 1st in this type of scenario. This is all to do with everyday driving and nothing to do with boy racer 0-60 runs.

Once it gets going, the performance is fine though the throttle response is poor but that's standard with turbo diesels.

If you compare it to a N/A half decent petrol engine with similar power and good torque, the quality, responsiveness and fun would be so much better compared to the turbo diesel. Though the diesel would return much better MPG when crusing. So horses for courses I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

The horrible lag of the 20D is a fact, one doesn't need to compare it against any car It's a compromise of a small capacity turbo charged diesel that has been tuned to produce high peak power for it's capacity. There is no performance until the turbo spools up. So for almost 500rpm there is no drive, ie from idle. This is very apparent in the manual when slowing down for a hazard, selecting 2nd gear and pressing the accelerator. One has to wait seconds for the turbo to respool. At roundabouts and junctions, it is dangerous. The autobox may well kickdown to 1st in this type of scenario. This is all to do with everyday driving and nothing to do with boy racer 0-60 runs.

Once it gets going, the performance is fine though the throttle response is poor but that's standard with turbo diesels.

If you compare it to a N/A half decent petrol engine with similar power and good torque, the quality, responsiveness and fun would be so much better compared to the turbo diesel. Though the diesel would return much better MPG when crusing. So horses for courses I suppose.
On this basis most cars on UK roads are dangerous, better increase my life insurance

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

bump

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE

Last edited by BIMMER UK 76; 01-22-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

Yeah, I did see this before and just thought it was nonsense. "one doesn't need to compare it against any car" but then a comparison is made in the same post.

At the end of the day, the majority of people including myself who have test driven the X3 and most people who own one haven't even noticed this, let alone thought it dangerous. Vans take longer to accelerate and they don't keep having accidents at roundabouts.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #20
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Horses for courses. I was very impressed with just how responsive the 20d auto was especially when I (accidentally) found there was a physical kick down (kick through?) on the accelerator ... the car went off like a rocket when I did this at 40mph.

More than enough for me but each to his own.

Any economy discussions are null and void for anyone worried about turbo lag, methinks. If you're after a "sporty" driving style then I suspect your average mpg might begin with a 2 or at best a 3 regardless of what the manufacturer suggests

Last edited by TuffLittleUnit; 01-23-2011 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: grammar!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Horses for courses. I was very impressed with just how responsive the 20d auto was especially when I (accidentally) found there was a physical kick down (kick through?) on the accelerator ... the car went off like a rocket when I did this at 40mph.

More than enough for me but each to his own.

Any economy discussions are null and void for anyone worried about turbo lag, methinks. If you're after a "sporty" driving style then I suspect your average mpg might begin with a 2 or at best a 3 regardless of what the manufacturer suggests
+1 on both points TLU. Well made.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #22
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Perhaps I haven't articulated well enough but you're still missing the point

The 20d is designed to be sporty as well as economical, that's why it has a high peak bhp and is designed to top league tables for 0-62mph runs.

The POINT IS, with the manual, the knock on effect this has is the turbo lag which is very noticable at low revs and is actually horrendous. I drove two 2010 models 320d manuals last year and both had the same issue. Or as the tech stated 'a character of the car sir'

If the new 8-speed auto manages to kick-down at lows from 2nd to 1st to avoid potentially dangerous situations with the 20d, then great. Thank goodness for that.

Whenever someone takes deliver of their car 20d, pull away from standstill is 2nd and also slow down to a crawl in 2nd and then accelerate hard. Pls post what the lag is like.
Appreciate 0