BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Vague steering

I have a 2011 F-25 without any sports options and 17” runflats.
The only thing that disappoints me is the steering straight line at highway speeds is not “planted” like other bmw’s I’ve owned (including the older generation X3). It’s not bad, but not the feel I expect from BMW. There almost seems to be some play in the steering and I don’t get that on-rails feel that it wants to go straight. The steering is feather light. It doesn’t pull to any side and corners well so I don’t think it’s out of alignment. It has always been this way.

Is there any way to achieve a more “centered” feel with more feedback?
Can the steering assist be toned down?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

I think its mostly to do with the tyres. I've got the standard 17" wheels with non-rft's and its quite 'spongey'. I've driven an m-sport on 18"s and the steering felt a lot more planted. It wasn't as compliant over bumps but the steering response felt sharper.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I have a 2011 F-25 without any sports options and 17” runflats.
The only thing that disappoints me is the steering straight line at highway speeds is not “planted” like other bmw’s I’ve owned (including the older generation X3). It’s not bad, but not the feel I expect from BMW. There almost seems to be some play in the steering and I don’t get that on-rails feel that it wants to go straight. The steering is feather light. It doesn’t pull to any side and corners well so I don’t think it’s out of alignment. It has always been this way.

Is there any way to achieve a more “centered” feel with more feedback?
Can the steering assist be toned down?
Unfortunately that seems to be the way new BMWs are. You are not the only one dismayed by this - see other posts
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...1#post12360422
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718887
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Most new bmws use electric assisted steering as opposed to the old hydraulic system. Many people have lamented the loss of steering feedback. Check out this review of the X1 which recommends buying the 28Xdrive solely for the fact that is has the older hydraulic steering system...

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...0_2013_bmw_x1/

So that leaves the X1 xDrive28i, the $33,245 base four-wheel drive version. Sure, it carries a $1700 premium over the rear-drive X1 and it loses 2 mpg city and 3 on the highway, but the extra dough and gas is worth it for the steering alone. See, the X1's four-wheel drive system resides in the place where parts of the electric steering system go -- so xDrive X1s have good, old-fashioned hydraulic assistance. If you're sitting at home and wondering why we're continually mourning the disappearance of hydraulic steering, go drive these two X1s back-to-back. The difference is like trading in your favorite late-night 1-900 number habit for a real girlfriend. Only one of them touches you back.
      07-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Most new bmws use electric assisted steering as opposed to the old hydraulic system. Many people have lamented the loss of steering feedback. Check out this review of the X1 which recommends buying the 28Xdrive solely for the fact that is has the older hydraulic steering system...

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...0_2013_bmw_x1/

So that leaves the X1 xDrive28i, the $33,245 base four-wheel drive version. Sure, it carries a $1700 premium over the rear-drive X1 and it loses 2 mpg city and 3 on the highway, but the extra dough and gas is worth it for the steering alone. See, the X1's four-wheel drive system resides in the place where parts of the electric steering system go -- so xDrive X1s have good, old-fashioned hydraulic assistance. If you're sitting at home and wondering why we're continually mourning the disappearance of hydraulic steering, go drive these two X1s back-to-back. The difference is like trading in your favorite late-night 1-900 number habit for a real girlfriend. Only one of them touches you back.
Good explaination!

I was hoping that there would be some adjustment available to tone down the assist a bit, or some after market solution.

I suppose I could try 18" wheels, but that is an expensive test and I wouldn't be willing to pay that kind of money unless I knew it would improve the feel.

Strange thig is that after applying the acceleration SIB, I-Drive now shows an option for adjusting the drive train and chasis seperately. This must be a glitch in I-Drive because I don't have any of the handling options, so sports mode only adjusts the shift points and does nothing for steering or chasis firmness.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good explaination!

This must be a glitch in I-Drive because I don't have any of the handling options, so sports mode only adjusts the shift points and does nothing for steering or chasis firmness.
Sports mode selection via the DPC switch as fitted standard on European 2.0d versions, certainly alters the steering feel, making it appear more direct and controllable — more like in past hydraulic steering systems. This implies it should be possible to have it adjusted so as to be fixed as the default setting. However it will not be easy to convince the dealer/BMW to do it, as it suggests they got it wrong in the first place!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
Sports mode selection via the DPC switch as fitted standard on European 2.0d versions, certainly alters the steering feel, making it appear more direct and controllable — more like in past hydraulic steering systems. This implies it should be possible to have it adjusted so as to be fixed as the default setting. However it will not be easy to convince the dealer/BMW to do it, as it suggests they got it wrong in the first place!
Mine doesn't have a dsp switch. The only "sports mode" I have is via pushing the transmission lever to the left. This increases the shift points or allows manual shifts but does not impact steering.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine doesn't have a dsp switch. The only "sports mode" I have is via pushing the transmission lever to the left. This increases the shift points or allows manual shifts but does not impact steering.
OK I hadn't noticed yours was a 2011 model - DPC only became a standard fittment from 1April this year for MY13 units. I was blaming lack of steering feel especially at highway speeds when it wanders around all over the place, on the fact it was in comfort mode - switching to 'sport' improves it markedly but its still not what I had in previous BMs, and sport raises reves by 25% so economy suffers. I would still expect that as its electronicaly controlled (not hydraulic) it should be possible to tweak it via the OBC or related mapping. However, I doubt BMW would officially accept that their system gives below-par handling. Tell me, do you also suffer throttle lag - a BMW 'innovation' which comes with current DPC set in 'comfort' mode; maybe it only applies to the diesel engine, but it would be interesting to know.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
OK I hadn't noticed yours was a 2011 model - DPC only became a standard fittment from 1April this year for MY13 units. I was blaming lack of steering feel especially at highway speeds when it wanders around all over the place, on the fact it was in comfort mode - switching to 'sport' improves it markedly but its still not what I had in previous BMs, and sport raises reves by 25% so economy suffers. I would still expect that as its electronicaly controlled (not hydraulic) it should be possible to tweak it via the OBC or related mapping. However, I doubt BMW would officially accept that their system gives below-par handling. Tell me, do you also suffer throttle lag - a BMW 'innovation' which comes with current DPC set in 'comfort' mode; maybe it only applies to the diesel engine, but it would be interesting to know.
Several weeks ago I had the TSB (SI B61 02 12 ) applied to take care of the throttle lag and it improved it a lot. I have the 2.5 gasoline engine, so I don't know if the TSB applies to desel.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

You're looking to adjust the steering without having selected any of the options that affect that? Not gonna happen.
      07-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
You're looking to adjust the steering without having selected any of the options that affect that? Not gonna happen.
Kind of a criptic message....What options do affect that?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
DHP, for one.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
The sport activity package on the 2011 allows you change to sport mode via a button on the center console and that makes the steering feel heavier and tighter. If you don't have the SAP package or DHP, then I think you are out of options to change the feel of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
The sport activity package on the 2011 allows you change to sport mode via a button on the center console and that makes the steering feel heavier and tighter. If you don't have the SAP package or DHP, then I think you are out of options to change the feel of it.
ok, I'm screwed. The car is fine otherwise and I still like it.
Too bad BMW forgot it's roots.

Just picked up a Dodge Caravan and it has better steering and road feel than this boat. It doesn't corner as well of course, but it shouldn't take thousands of dollars of extras to make an electronic steering system give proper feedback. BMW got it wrong this time.

I was just hoping that since this is an electronic device that some adjustment was possible.

Last edited by Harplayr; 07-22-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It is, if you select the option.
      07-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is, if you select the option.
poking and trolling really doesn't help.

Last edited by Harplayr; 07-24-2012 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Don't confuse steering force with steering feel. The X3 has electric steering and zero steering feel, no matter what options are selected.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man
Don't confuse steering force with steering feel. The X3 has electric steering and zero steering feel, no matter what options are selected.
Don't confuse steering feel with road feel. It has decent steering feel, but without the direct connectedness of hydraulic where the tires better communicate the road surface. The old X3 was better in this respect.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I agree.

I think “bmw” got away from their roots of being the “Ultimate Driving Machine” by going to the electronic steering. The incredible road feel of my previous BMW’s (been driving them since the 80’s) was a big part of what made them so enjoyable to drive. Now instead of road feel they’re going for pure isolation. It still corners well for a SUV, and is a comfortable and versatile car, but without the road feel component to the driving dynamics it has lost something that made BMW’s special.

Don’t get me wrong…I love the car in every other respect and have had no problems with it after a year of driving it, but I do miss driving a BMW instead of this “bmw”.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
poking and trolling really doesn't help.
Seriuosly? The options have been discussed here ad nauseum. Not poking or trolling. You critiqued the car for not allowing adjustment of the electronic steering. It does allow that if you select that option. If you don't like the steering without that option, your fault. Should have test driven, adjusted options, or not purchased. You -- or someone using your name -- has been on this forum long enough to know better and to know me better.
      07-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #21
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The added weight feels a touch better but it doesn't help with feedback on what the wheels or road are doing. It's all part of the dumbing down BMW seem to be doing, I suppose they would call it model differentiation.
      07-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Seriuosly? The options have been discussed here ad nauseum. Not poking or trolling. You critiqued the car for not allowing adjustment of the electronic steering. It does allow that if you select that option. If you don't like the steering without that option, your fault. Should have test driven, adjusted options, or not purchased. You -- or someone using your name -- has been on this forum long enough to know better and to know me better.

A simple honest answer without the snide overtones would have been much better.

Yes, I do take responsibility for not test driving a X3 without the expensive add-on options designed to correct their design mistakes. I was an early adopter with an amazing trade in offer on my 2010 X3 on the table and the only models available for test were fully loaded in that department. I ordered a couple of weeks after the national rollout "X3 experience" event where I drove their loaded X3.

Having driven BMW’s since the 80’s (including 2 previous generation X3’s) I was still under the impression that BMW made driver’s cars and was not trying to compete with the likes of Lexus to see who could strip a car of any road feel or driver feedback and win the award for the most isolated feel in its class. The brand “BMW” used to mean something. That’s why I refer to this car as a “bmw”.

As I’ve said, I enjoy the <strike>Lexus</strike> “bmw” X3 in every other respect, and the other features compensate enough to give me good overall satisfaction with the car. If it were possible to mod this car via adjustment, programming, replacing tires, upping the wheels from 17 to 18’s then it would be worth it to me. But I guess the answer’s no, so I’ll live with my mistake and drive this as-is until it’s time to trade it in. This will most likely be my last BMW and I certainly won’t buy another “bmw” as I’ll be in search of something that DOES provide good driver feedback.

Last edited by Harplayr; 07-25-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0