BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Passenger Side Mirror problem persists

I had adjusted my side view mirrors to practically avoid blind spots as per the doc shown below and suggested by many others on the Internet:

http://www.northstarbmw.org/forms/blindzone.pdf

This setting makes the mirros little more outward. After making such a setting I noticed that passenger side mirror stopped folding in with press of the folding button whereas the driver side mirror was working ok. I took the X 3 to dealer, who initialized the mirrors and it all started working ok. I drove back home and readjusted my blind spot settings and noticed that the same problem surfaced back again.

Have you noticed this problem in your X3?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I set my mirrors in a similar fashion and have not had a problem. I fold my mirrors almost every day at work.
      11-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I set my mirrors in a similar fashion and have not had a problem. I fold my mirrors almost every day at work.
If this is a problem specific to my X3 and initializing mirror settings didnt work, how do I get it resolved then?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Is the complete mirror housing not returning to the full-out position, or is the housing OK and only the mirror glass itself not moving to where you want it.
Whole mirror assembly gets stuck while folding in. It folds by only few degrees before getting stuck. But pressing the button again, it folds out fully to the set position.

I read it somewhere if whole mirror assembly is to be replaced then door inner panels are to be removed first as the assembly is screwed from inside. I am not sure if the dealer can get the job done professionally but I think I have no other choice.

Mirror assembly moves ok during top view captures.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Mirror assembly moves ok during top view captures.
What do you mean by this? Mirror assembly shouldn't move in support of Top View; the mirrors need to be unfolded, but don't move. Are yours doing something?
      11-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
What do you mean by this? Mirror assembly shouldn't move in support of Top View; the mirrors need to be unfolded, but don't move. Are yours doing something?
Checked up again, my bad, right side mirror moves little down to show curb during reversing but the assembly remains still. This seems to be a correct movement.

It looks that motor controlling the mirror is ok. As the folding of the mirror assembly does not work on the passenger side all the time ( works sometimes 1 out of 10), But unfolding works all the time, I suspect motor is ok but some thing wrong with the control mechanism.

I will drive back to the dealer this Monday but will be happy if it can be repaired without removing the assembly.

Last edited by April1; 11-25-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good luck. Hope it's an easy fix.
      11-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Today I went to the dealer again, supervisor initalized the settings again and told me he tried 15 times and passenger side mirror assembly is working fine. I myself tried it in his presence and it got stuck on the very second attempt. Finally he said he will order the new mirror assembly and will call me again in two days when he gets it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Dealer finally received the new mirror assembly and replaced it, it needed programming again. Now both the side view mirrors fold in completely.

I noticed that the replaced mirror takes more time to fold in and out. Does any one notice the speed difference? Is there a programmable setting to adjust the speed of movement?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Dealer finally received the new mirror assembly and replaced it, it needed programming again. Now both the side view mirrors fold in completely.

I noticed that the replaced mirror takes more time to fold in and out. Does any one notice the speed difference? Is there a programmable setting to adjust the speed of movement?
I have been following this thread from the start, but had nothing to offer over and above the other posts, until now. I can confirm that both of my mirrors fold and extend at the same speed.

Sorry, but it would be a return visit to the dealer if your challenge affected my vehicle. Good luck.

Oh! I do not know about a user programable setting but Lotus7 might?
Appreciate 0