BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Rear view camera/Top-view camera/No camera

Hi,

I've been wondering if I'm making a mistake not to add either the std. reverse view camera or the top-view option...

I didn't because, I have managed very well to date with reverse sensors on my E91, they are audio only. On the X3 there will be visual feed back on the iDrive screen also.

Now, I have no doubt it's nice and cool to have the camera - but is it really truly and honestly that useful to see a camera shot versus hearing (and seeing via visual cues) how close you are to something?
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

To me for narrow gaps including my garage door it will be vital and much cheaper than a respray. It is on my list.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I have the standard camera and find it really handy. The car also has a really good feature linked with the sensors where you see a visual radar on the I drive screen about how close you are to objects. With both these features I couldn't justify the extra for the top down so I went for brushed aluminium trim instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotX3 View Post
I have the standard camera and find it really handy. The car also has a really good feature linked with the sensors where you see a visual radar on the I drive screen about how close you are to objects. With both these features I couldn't justify the extra for the top down so I went for brushed aluminium trim instead.
How do you think you'd cope without the camera, but with only the visual radar on the iDrive (which is standard) ?

I can imagine side view camera might be handy in some situations, which the top-view gives you, I'm not sure a live feed camera with visual radar overlayed is much better than just the visual radar still..
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I've not had mine for long but I can't foresee many situations when I would need any more than the radar and audio cues that I have now. I like the green-yellow-red setup. Camera would give you more peace of mind though

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers

Last edited by sfax; 03-01-2011 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: peace of mind! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I find the radar a bit over sensitive and the camera just gives me that extra bit of re-assurance as this is my first car of this size. I think it's basically a nice to have option and by no means is it a necessity. I never realised the car had the radar view on Idrive until I got a test drive and by that time my car was in the mid Atlantic.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

does anyone with the reverse view camera know if it includes a view of your rear bumper? not quite sure what use it would be if it didn't as you wouldn't be able to see how close you actually are...

we did spec this option but the dealer had no idea whether it would show your rear bumper or not...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
The reverse view camera does not show the bumper and with the radar showing you the distance it helps alot...esp. here in nyc. The camera is actually right above where the plate is attached to the vehicle with a slight offset to the right making it a bit akward to install the plate cover here in the us without sliding it in from the left. It's also fun to press the park assist button in traffic if you are bored.
kozzi
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Hi,

To me it's mainly reassurance, since I have two kids. Considering how high the X3 is in the rear, it's nice to see that the kids aren't behind the car.

It also makes the car feel a whole lot more 2011, which in itself makes it worth it. Top view for twice the money is a bit hefty though...

Karl
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
The reverse view camera does not show the bumper and with the radar showing you the distance it helps alot...esp. here in nyc. The camera is actually right above where the plate is attached to the vehicle with a slight offset to the right making it a bit akward to install the plate cover here in the us without sliding it in from the left. It's also fun to press the park assist button in traffic if you are bored.
kozzi
On mine, I can actually just see the edge of the bumper. The viewing angle is such that you can see pavement lines clearly as you drive in reverse. The visual cut-off is just slightly behind the edge of the bumper at pavement level.

Re: license plate frame: I actually had to file a round "notch" in a fairly thin frame to be able to install it over the plate to clear the camera. It is a plastic frame so it was easy, but I wouldn't want to do that to an expensive metal frame.

Love the rear view camera and the ultrasound "radar" proximity system. With the high rear window, it's really the only way you have any idea what's directly behind the vehicle when backing up.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've never had a camera on any of my cars but a top/side view would be awesome along with the rear view. I guess the side view cam won't really justify the cost if you don't do much parallel parking but here in Seattle that's about the only type of parking one can find. I've scratched that crap out of the rims on my last car so any type of camera or sensor would be an improvement. What I've noticed or at least in the case of my stepdad is that he has senors on his Sienna and takes more risks with it, letting the car go from a moderate beep to a rapid beep before stopping the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

I was really impressed with the reverse camera - the guide lines were pretty cool and did a good job of detecting the spaces I was looking to reverse into. However, I'm a heads-up kind of driver and looking at the screen is just plain unnatural.

I've got visual parking aids in my current car and I never look at them, I just rely on the audio feedback and, believe it or not, my own spacial awareness skills.

It's another each to his own thing. Many will find it invaluable in regular, difficult locations such as garages, underground car parks etc.

I didn't get to try top view even though I subsequently found the X3 demo was supposed to have it.
      03-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
Hi,

I've been wondering if I'm making a mistake not to add either the std. reverse view camera or the top-view option...

I didn't because, I have managed very well to date with reverse sensors on my E91, they are audio only. On the X3 there will be visual feed back on the iDrive screen also.

Now, I have no doubt it's nice and cool to have the camera - but is it really truly and honestly that useful to see a camera shot versus hearing (and seeing via visual cues) how close you are to something?
The bmw system is pretty good (no probs using in me E60 which is larger than my soon X3 so im sure the std system will be fine)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

The top view in my opinion takes a bit to get used to - the perspective is a bit skewed, especially for vertical offsets. It should be easy to get used to it though, and I plan to use it in tight spaces like garages etc where all I need is a visual confirmation that I'm not hitting anything. I hope to be able to comment on it soon
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Most importantly: Has anyone with a rear or top view camera reversed into anything yet?!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Actually, I have a serious question on this. When does the radar / camera kick in? I drove into a parking space at a reasonable pace (!) and it didn't start bleeping at all. When I got back in and started the car it went nuts because I was an inch away from a bush in front of me.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Actually, I have a serious question on this. When does the radar / camera kick in? I drove into a parking space at a reasonable pace (!) and it didn't start bleeping at all. When I got back in and started the car it went nuts because I was an inch away from a bush in front of me.
As I understand it, if you're in reverse it switches on automatically; but if you're in drive, you have to activate it yourself. Above a certain speed, the system is deactivated (possibly the refresh rate is too low?). The manual says 9mph/15kph (page 95).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

To me, it's entirely worth it especially during winter. People are always parking along their own version of the curb, and the snow cover hides the real curb. I'm glad to be able to see the curb from another perspective. It's also helpful with lot parking, where you can now see the lines. It's really awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
As I understand it, if you're in reverse it switches on automatically; but if you're in drive, you have to activate it yourself. Above a certain speed, the system is deactivated (possibly the refresh rate is too low?). The manual says 9mph/15kph (page 95).
Absolutely - it only comes on automatically when you stick it in reverse. You've got to switch the front sensors on automatically otherwise it would be really irritating in built up traffic with the bleepers going every time you nudged closer to the car in front.

We all know what UK driving is like - leave a generous space and some twonk will think it's their god given right to drive 50 metres down the wrong side of the road and barge in front of you.

It switches off when going forwards at over 9mph because it knows that you're not likely to be parking at that sort of speed. Not sure if the same is true in reverse.
      03-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Absolutely - it only comes on automatically when you stick it in reverse. You've got to switch the front sensors on automatically otherwise it would be really irritating in built up traffic with the bleepers going every time you nudged closer to the car in front.

We all know what UK driving is like - leave a generous space and some twonk will think it's their god given right to drive 50 metres down the wrong side of the road and barge in front of you.

It switches off when going forwards at over 9mph because it knows that you're not likely to be parking at that sort of speed. Not sure if the same is true in reverse.
True, but clever technology would switch it on automatically (or at least beep) if you got very close to an object in front of you, but not switch it on in normal range unless reverse is engaged. I don't generally get an inch from the car in front of me in traffic

I'll have to find the switch and perhaps make it a favourite. Or always reverse at least once when parking forwards

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #21
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
does anyone with the reverse view camera know if it includes a view of your rear bumper? not quite sure what use it would be if it didn't as you wouldn't be able to see how close you actually are...

we did spec this option but the dealer had no idea whether it would show your rear bumper or not...
The lower edge of the camera's field of view should just show the top 1/4 inch (or so) of the bumper. Because the camera position is slightly forward of the bumper, the closest point on the ground that can be seen before being blocked by the bumper is actually 7 inches (18cm) behind a vertical line dropped from the rearmost part of the bumper.

This drawing shows the side view of the camera's viewing angle limits:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #22
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I think the front sensors work even without the cameras switched on (which, as above, happens when you throw it in reverse) if the Park Distance Control button is selected (green light on). It's been on for me and I was swinging into a parking place, no cameras on, and the PDC warning sound activate as the front end swept past a pole (or maybe he was czech, I'm not completely certain).

Will try it again.