BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
The regional differences really are confusing. Here we get a dramatically limited set of choices in configuring the vehicles compared to what I've seen in Europe and the only way to make changes on the order is through the dealer. And now we get the tracking and, reportedly video, but y'all don't? Strange.
I think the differences are down to marketing but you're right, it does make it confusing. I think Lotus7 had it right when he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of customers to this dealership have no idea that there is a major model change under way. Around here, many X3 and X5 drivers are typical suburban "soccer moms" who would not recognize another X3 if it pulled alongside, let alone one from a different model year. No offense to any "soccer moms" reading this. :-)

For many people a car is just an appliance. If it has room for the average 2.3 kids, 6 bags of groceries, starts and runs reasonably well, and has a comfortable interior, that's all that matters. Many of these cars probably never see anything more than half throttle, 3000rpm, or 0.4G lateral cornering loads.

The person who checks this forum every day, and knows the detailed differences between a X3 20d, 28i, 35i is in a tiny minority and is probably considered a little "odd" by the "typical" car (even BMW) customer.
If this is how the majority of the customers are seen, it might explain the limited set of choices. IMO they should have these packages, but no options should be exclusive to packages so it's completely flexible.

The tracking thing is just annoying because from a technical point of view, once it's setup online for the US customers, it's child's play to open it up to all customers. And don't get me started on no online brochure, no user manuals etc on the UK website. They recently put the xDrive30d up to configure and then pulled it again the next day because they completely messed it up: completely wrong information like saying it had 4 cylinders, options missing or free when they shouldn't be etc. In my job we do something called testing before we put anything live. The muppets at bmw.co.uk clearly have a different strategy.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #24
yaderhey
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi Coupe

Still nothing showing up. Annoyed.
Appreciate 0