BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

It arrived! (2012)

I picked up the 2012 today!

Looks great! Love the color and the 19" wheels. The ride isn't as harsh as I expected, completely satisfactory. I picked up the 5 year tire warranty.

The black headliner with oyster seats looks excellent.

I'll take pics after I finish detailing it. I asked them

2 issues.

1. Clicking sound coming from back seats, can't find a cause.
2. Every time I shut the car off all my presets & configuration selections reset.

Any idea what to do to make it stop loosing the settings?

Last edited by Dukat; 10-16-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Congrats! Can't wait to see pics! Don't know what to suggest on your presets
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
I picked up the 2012 today!

Looks great! Love the color and the 19" wheels. The ride isn't as harsh as I expected, completely satisfactory. I picked up the 5 year tire warranty.

The black headliner with oyster seats looks excellent.

I'll take pics after I finish detailing it. I asked them

2 issues.

1. Clicking sound coming from back seats, can't find a cause.
2. Every time I shut the car off all my presets & configuration selections reset.

Any idea what to do to make it stop loosing the settings?
Do the presets get forgotten on both keys? Not heard of anything like this I'm afraid.

Congrats on your new X3 . Will look forward to some pics

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
sd1014
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future 2012 X3 35i

Dukat, how much was the tire warranty if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

SD, their list price for the 5 year was $1,900, gave it to me for $1,495.

SFax, you may have been right. I had both keys in my pocket while the CA was showing me the car. I switched to the other key and my settings appear to have stuck this time.

Another question.. Under the hood there is a black cap opposite of the oil cap. Piping under this cap appears to go to the radiator. It's 80F outside, the car has been parked in the shade for 3 hours now, but that cap is still extremely hot. Is that normal?
      10-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Congrats! Pics? pretty please
      10-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
wb47
Rep
Drives: N/A

Hey, congratulations, how is the wind and traffic noise levels at different speeds? Many people seem to be experiencing problems with wind/traffic noise on the X3s and want to see if they've addressed the problems for 2012 models.

Last edited by wb47; 10-08-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb47 View Post
Hey, congratulations, how is the wind and traffic noise levels at different speeds? Many people seem to be experiencing problems with wind/traffic noise on the X3s and want to see if they've addressed the problems for 2012 models.
I drove 30 miles home from the dealer. Haven't been out since as I'm still applying sealant.

I hit 80 and didn't hear any excess wind noise, so either my seals are installed correctly or they made a change to the design.

The DHP makes a huge difference in steering and suspension. My drive home was a straight road so I haven't gotten to trying it on rough road or turns, but still feel a big difference in the settings. Glad I got it.

If I can't figure out what's causing the clicking noise in the back seat I'll take it back on Monday. It was driving me nuts.

I'll try to get photos posted tomorrow. My compact flash reader broke so I need to find a way to get pictures off the camera.

I'm very happy with the 19" 309's. I was worried for the longest time that they'd be too rough, but they're not and they look much better in person.

Question for Lotus or any other car guru's. My doors, especially the rear ones that a lot of force to shut. Is there an easy way I can adjust that or do I have to take it to the dealer?
      10-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Dukat congrats enjoy your new toy.
      10-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
I drove 30 miles home from the dealer. Haven't been out since as I'm still applying sealant.

I hit 80 and didn't hear any excess wind noise, so either my seals are installed correctly or they made a change to the design.

The DHP makes a huge difference in steering and suspension. My drive home was a straight road so I haven't gotten to trying it on rough road or turns, but still feel a big difference in the settings. Glad I got it.

If I can't figure out what's causing the clicking noise in the back seat I'll take it back on Monday. It was driving me nuts.

I'll try to get photos posted tomorrow. My compact flash reader broke so I need to find a way to get pictures off the camera.

I'm very happy with the 19" 309's. I was worried for the longest time that they'd be too rough, but they're not and they look much better in person.

Question for Lotus or any other car guru's. My doors, especially the rear ones that a lot of force to shut. Is there an easy way I can adjust that or do I have to take it to the dealer?
The noise you hear coming from the back seat might be the trunk cover. I had a rattle too that sounded like it was coming from the back seat. As soon as I removed the trunk cover, it stopped. Try taking it out and see if it is still there.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
The noise you hear coming from the back seat might be the trunk cover. I had a rattle too that sounded like it was coming from the back seat. As soon as I removed the trunk cover, it stopped. Try taking it out and see if it is still there.
I was going to say the same thing - may make less noise if you have it extended - but taking it out makes it go away - hasn't really been a noise in my X3...yet - however that thing would make some noise all the time on my E91 wagon.

no idea about the presets doesn't sound major though.

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

congrats!! glad you figured out the key thing lol!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I think you guys were right. I lifted up the trunk cover and reseated it, couldn't hear the sound moving it by hand but drove 20 minutes and only heard the clack once. Thanks for the advice!

New question.. 70F outside, I drove 20 minutes... the hood, near the front 1/3 section is HOT. Very hot. None of my previous cars ever felt a fraction that temperature. Is that normal?

I'll post photos tomorrow.
      10-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
...New question.. 70F outside, I drove 20 minutes... the hood, near the front 1/3 section is HOT. Very hot. None of my previous cars ever felt a fraction that temperature. Is that normal?

I'll post photos tomorrow.
Of course "HOT" is a subjective term, but the X3 engines, as most newer engines hoping for higher thermal efficiency, operate at temperatures that would have been considered "overheating" a few years ago.

Normal coolant temperature for the X3 is a whopping 105 Deg. C. (221 Deg. F. I initially thought that was a typo, but have checked with an OBD-II reader and my 35i digital coolant temp readings hover between 220 and 226 Degrees F. I honestly think that's why the X3 has no coolant temp. gauge, only the oil gauge. If most "old-school" customers saw a gauge reading 220 degrees, they'd probably bring the car in for repairs. It also means that plain water is really not an option for these engines, even with the cooling system under pressure.

The front 16 inches of the X3 hood (bonnet) is not insulated at all and is directly above that 221 Deg.radiator. It's going to get hot pretty quickly. The rest of the hood will also get pretty hot, but it just takes longer.

220 F. is enough to fry an egg pretty fast, but won't sear a steak, so no frying on the hood!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Of course "HOT" is a subjective term, but the X3 engines, as most newer engines hoping for higher thermal efficiency, operate at temperatures that would have been considered "overheating" a few years ago.

Normal coolant temperature for the X3 is a whopping 105 Deg. C. (221 Deg. F. I initially thought that was a typo, but have checked with an OBD-II reader and my 35i digital coolant temp readings hover between 220 and 226 Degrees F. I honestly think that's why the X3 has no coolant temp. gauge, only the oil gauge. If most "old-school" customers saw a gauge reading 220 degrees, they'd probably bring the car in for repairs. It also means that plain water is really not an option for these engines, even with the cooling system under pressure.

The front 16 inches of the X3 hood (bonnet) is not insulated at all and is directly above that 221 Deg.radiator. It's going to get hot pretty quickly. The rest of the hood will also get pretty hot, but it just takes longer.

220 F. is enough to fry an egg pretty fast, but won't sear a steak, so no frying on the hood!
Wow, that's hot! I was worried the plastic panels would melt.

Thanks for your great technical explanation. I'm relieved.
      10-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Dukat - i think mine gets hot, my 3 series got hot - also my 3 series would sometimes blow steam after pulling into the garage from heavy rain (just posted about that on another thread). Atleast my X3 has a temperature gauge - it reads normal - 3 series didn't have one but there was a system warning for hot and it never once went off. what you describe along w/ Lotus7's description sound about right to me based on 2 BMWs i've owned...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Congrats Dukat =)

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #18
wb47
Rep
Drives: N/A

Oh great to hear you are having minimal and minor problems, so the Dynamic Handling Package, what exactly does it do? I know it changes the steering from situation to situation but wouldn't that be a whole lot of confusion?

Here in aus we only have 2 separate options, Variable Damper Control and Variable Sport steering.

We also have Performance Control land Sport suspension which I am not really sure on what they do, could someone enlighten me with some info please?

Last edited by wb47; 10-09-2011 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb47 View Post
Oh great to hear you are having minimal and minor problems, so the Dynamic Handling Package, what exactly does it do? I know it changes the steering from situation to situation but wouldn't that be a whole lot of confusion?

Here in aus we only have 2 separate options, Variable Damper Control and Variable Sport steering.

We also have Performance Control land Sport suspension which I am not really sure on what they do, could someone enlighten me with some info please?
DHP tightens up the suspension to reduce body roll. I can feel the change immediately after switching modes and prefer to leave it in the firmer mode.

The dynamic suspension is also supposed to make driving on bumpy roads smoother. That's harder to test as I don't know if it's active all the time or only in sports mode.

The nice thing is in sports mode you can select if you want the changes to apply to the transmission, chassis (steering/suspension) or everything.

The transmission changes are also very noticeable. The car holds gears much longer before switching up getting to considerably higher rpm's. Response time is much faster. It's a blast to drive in this mode, although the car feels jerky from the sudden gear shifts and I'm guessing mpg takes a nose dive.

The system also has something called Performance Control which I think controls how traction control and other handling attributes respond. Sports+ mode will allow the tire to spin a little bit before activating traction control to stop the spin. This is supposed to allow the tire to find grip in certain situations.

Regarding steering, the tightening of the steering wheel is very noticeable. I've only had it a day and haven't had a chance to see how it affects actual turning. It felt that having the steering tightened required the steering wheel to be turned further to make a turn, but that sounds like opposite of what you'd expect to happen. I'll test it more today focusing on steering feel & changes in different modes.
      10-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #20
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
CONGRATS! Looking forward to some photos....

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The door panel says the 19" 309's should be 32psi front, 38psi rear.

They were all inflated to 38. I dropped the front to 32.

Installing the mud guards now. Just as others have said in the forum, they don't sit flush with the body. I got a roll of high strength double sided tape. So far it seems to be holding the front guards flush.
      10-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Pictures, pictures, pictures please!!
Appreciate 0