BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Change of colour? Delay in delivery!

I had second thoughts about the color combo that I ordered so I asked the dealer to change from black to mineral silver.

Reason for the second thought is the fact that I like the Black X3 much better without any chrome or aluminium trim on the outside (especially after having seen Alpineweiss' Black X-line deleted version :-)

Usually cars look better with some chrome, but not the black X3 (IMHO). Not that it's ugly, but it just looks a bit more bold/tough in all black.

Unfortunately I cannot remove the X-Line and aluminium roofrails anymore as that would mean that I have to change the complete order at the lease company. That is a bit too much hassle.

So I asked the dealer to change the color.

My car was planned to be delivered at the end of October but he told me that there is a risk that changing the color might change the production slot... And since the X3 is "sold-out" in Holland for 2011 I might be looking at delivery in Feb/March if I change it!

Thanks for listening :-)

(I do realise that there are worse problems in the world)
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

October delivery, so it would go into production early September. In other words I can't see how changing the colour now would affect your slot. Go and give your dealer some hassle, theres no reason why you can't change the colour at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

He must have some others on waiting list and he can charge more to them and push you to next year. Ask him for proof from BMW this is the case due to change color.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreeze View Post
Thanks for listening :-)

(I do realise that there are worse problems in the world)
Brilliant end to this post!

Go for silver!!! Looks great in the sunshine

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

The slot losing thing may not be as way out as it sounds. My dealer was telling me that once a vehicle has moved to status '1200', then making changes can, sometimes but not always, change the slot. Apparently, even if you then decide not to go ahead with the change, you can't get the old slot back. Of course my dealer could be barking but, on the other hand, it could be a 'feature' of the factory system.
If your status is still at '1100' then I'm told you are usually OK (but don't rely on me in this!).
So, might be helpful to ask your dealer what the cuurent production status is before you go ahead.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

This is exactly my situtation. Last night (Wed) I signed and returned a revised order form that changes the colour and spec. My 'old' spec was scheduled for del 01/10/11, so production some time in Aug. Lets say it was 1 August that leaves 3 months from now to get and schedule all the parts!

I am waiting until next week for a stauts update but my dealer said the same as Freeze, at the start of this thread. Last week I was in California and I visited 2 local BMW dealers and asked about this situtaiton. They both said changes could be made up until status 112 (scheduled for production) which is months away in our case. They also confirmed what we know from USA members that 6-8 weeks for a factory order is accurate for American deliveries. I will post next week my formal dealer feedback about possible changes in production due to my latest spec changes. I think it might be either the dealer or the indigenous BMW company who are making up these rules in order to possibly change slots or prioitise other customers - lets see....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I ordered a car in mid April that had a May slot. It went into production a couple of weeks early and is now being built.

As this was originally ordered by the dealer for his stock, I made changes, color and packages to configure it how I wanted. I even made a minor change the week before it went into production.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

I have made dozens of changes to my spec and was told last week that any changes from now on may affect the build date, which is week 20. Up to then there was no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Week 20 is the week after next? Would have thought you would be code 112 fixed for production by now. Did the dealer give you a code?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Not that this is particularly helpful but for comparison I made a few changes to my spec after ordering including quite big changes liking adding the dynamic package. All of them had no affect on the delivery date and the last addition was made about 4 weeks before it entered production

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Week 20 is the week after next? Would have thought you would be code 112 fixed for production by now. Did the dealer give you a code?
No he hasn't given me code but said a week or two ago that my car was now fixed and any changes may cause delays.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

So your question for your dealer is to confirm you are "112 Order scheduled for Production" and ask him to confirm when you go "150 Production Started" I guess. Then you can relax. Until delivery!
Appreciate 0