BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW x3

Burger Stage 1 Kit question

I was thinking about getting the Burger Stage 1 kit.

http://www.burgertuning.com/stage_1_...ce_tuners.html

I have a 2017 i28 X3, am I trying to get the N20 / N26 or the N55?

Anyone have experience with these that they can share? I read some reviews and it looks promising. $350ish bucks for 40-45 additional HP is not that bad.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
You have 28i so you need the N20/n26 one
I wouldn't go near BMS for N20

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
You have 28i so you need the N20/n26 one
I wouldn't go near BMS for N20
What do you think about the Racechip Ultimate?

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-B...3+racechip+28i

I figured I would get that and a new intake and call it quits on performance upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

FSociety is right, you need the N20/26 setup. I have stage 1 on my wife's X3MS and can tell you, you'll notice the power upgrade. What I don't care for and why FSociety said stay away from them, is the twitchness in throttle response. Yes, the power is nice, but at the cost of smoothness. You can basically feel the car "jerk" as your on/off the throttle. It bother me in the beginning, but then again, I don't drive my wife's X3 often enough to care for a removal.
You might also consider Dinan's entry level piggyback unit. I believe it comes standard with BT connection, which is a nice feature. Good luck, any of the piggy back units will provide noticeable power.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dinan is to expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Dinan is to expensive.
I was suggesting Dinan's entry level piggyback unit, the DINANTRONICS Sport.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...ries&mid=1225/

Dinan advertises 30hp/50tq. Both these figures are slightly less than BMS's Stage 1, but IMHO, the difference when driving is negligible. For $299 and the ability for BT connection, it's not a bad place to start.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I was suggesting Dinan's entry level piggyback unit, the DINANTRONICS Sport.
Wow, didn't know that existed. Looks nice and simple, I like it. Still looking at that Racechip though. $599 for 55 extra HP is not bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Maina
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Just get a used BMS stage 1 and call it a day. That is what I did anyway.
      10-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maina View Post
Just get a used BMS stage 1 and call it a day. That is what I did anyway.
I got the Dinan. Won't mess with my warranty and it will do the trick. I'm not racing this thing, just wanted a little more UMPH! Happy with my decision, the BMS would have given me a bit more HP but i doubt I will notice it on street driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
Maina
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Quote:
I got the Dinan. Won't mess with my warranty and it will do the trick. I'm not racing this thing, just wanted a little more UMPH! Happy with my decision, the BMS would have given me a bit more HP but i doubt I will notice it on street driving.
Well my x3 went from "Is that all?" to "I guess its okay" after installing the BMS whereas my previous 135i went to after stage 1 and with e35 mix I guess I will be going to an 8 cylinder x5 next time around so I can feel the power again.
      10-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maina View Post
Well my x3 went from "Is that all?" to "I guess its okay" after installing the BMS whereas my previous 135i went to after stage 1 and with e35 mix I guess I will be going to an 8 cylinder x5 next time around so I can feel the power again.
My stock i28 Msport in sport+ mode already does the trick when it comes to power and handling, I love it. Maybe it's because it's a small light SAV. I've had faster larger SUVs but they still didn't feel as quick and nimble as my X3. Maybe it's a perception thing. Looking forward to the extra bit of power.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #12
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For the cost, I think it will suffice just fine. Again, you're looking for a nice little bump in power; not necessarily trying to drag race the HellCat next to you. LOL

Just make sure that if you need any service on your X3, REMOVE the Dinan piggyback unit. Otherwise, you risk voiding your powertrain warranty. Dinan only offers warranty on their products when it's installed by a licensed and certified Dinan dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #13
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For the cost, I think it will suffice just fine. Again, you're looking for a nice little bump in power; not necessarily trying to drag race the HellCat next to you. LOL

Just make sure that if you need any service on your X3, REMOVE the Dinan piggyback unit. Otherwise, you risk voiding your powertrain warranty. Dinan only offers warranty on their products when it's installed by a licensed and certified Dinan dealer.
I am having BMW do the installation so that I don't have to worry about my powertrain warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #14
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So apparently I pulled a stupid by assuming since it was Dinan that it wouldn't mess with the Warranty the Dinan Sport Piggy Back clearly says:

WARRANTY: DINANTRONICS Sport does not carry the factory matching warranty that Dinan is known for. DINANTRONICS Sport's warranty is a 1 year product only warranty that does not cover consequential damages or labor reimbursement.

Yeah, apparently this is no more backed by BMW then the BMS or Racechip.

Just throwing it out there in case anyone ends up searching online for info and this post pops up. Not sure whether I am going to just install it myself and take it off when I go in for service or just sell it. I'd prefer to just put it on but would hate to have something happen and my warranty voided.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #15
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So apparently I pulled a stupid by assuming since it was Dinan that it wouldn't mess with the Warranty the Dinan Sport Piggy Back clearly says:

WARRANTY: DINANTRONICS Sport does not carry the factory matching warranty that Dinan is known for. DINANTRONICS Sport's warranty is a 1 year product only warranty that does not cover consequential damages or labor reimbursement.

Yeah, apparently this is no more backed by BMW then the BMS or Racechip.

Just throwing it out there in case anyone ends up searching online for info and this post pops up. Not sure whether I am going to just install it myself and take it off when I go in for service or just sell it. I'd prefer to just put it on but would hate to have something happen and my warranty voided.
You didn't pull a "stupid." One of my comments above referenced Dinan covering this so I apologize if I gave you false info. It was also my ASSUMPTION, that Dinan would cover ALL their parts if installed by an authorized dealer. In this case, I guess it's too "low cost" for them to warranty.
Here's my take on their piggyback unit. Since you're looking for an extra bit of power, nothing crazy, install it yourself. It's very easy. The first time should take you the longest as you're getting familiar with your vehicle. The subsequent times of removing/installing should be much faster. As I stated before, IF you need ANY servicing on your vehicle, simply remove the Dinan component. The dealership would need documented proof that you had a piggyback unit and that it caused damage to your power-train. I am FBO on my 335 N55. Recently, I ran too much e85 and caused a failure of my #6 injector. I simply removed all my FBO parts and the dealership covered the entire job, included the tow bill. This is my real-world experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You didn't pull a "stupid." One of my comments above referenced Dinan covering this so I apologize if I gave you false info. It was also my ASSUMPTION, that Dinan would cover ALL their parts if installed by an authorized dealer. In this case, I guess it's too "low cost" for them to warranty.
Here's my take on their piggyback unit. Since you're looking for an extra bit of power, nothing crazy, install it yourself. It's very easy. The first time should take you the longest as you're getting familiar with your vehicle. The subsequent times of removing/installing should be much faster. As I stated before, IF you need ANY servicing on your vehicle, simply remove the Dinan component. The dealership would need documented proof that you had a piggyback unit and that it caused damage to your power-train. I am FBO on my 335 N55. Recently, I ran too much e85 and caused a failure of my #6 injector. I simply removed all my FBO parts and the dealership covered the entire job, included the tow bill. This is my real-world experience.
You did mention that it was covered but in the link you posted in BOLD red letters it says that it's not. I should have read better.

Solid advice, I will just install it myself. Theres no on board computer that keeps a log that the dealership can pull up if there is an issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #17
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Solid advice, I will just install it myself. Theres no on board computer that keeps a log that the dealership can pull up if there is an issue?
I cannot confirm if there is a history of your boost kept somewhere deep inside your DME's logs. However, based on my recent issue with my failed injector, I don't suspect you'll have any issues with service, as long as you remove the Dinan component.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I cannot confirm if there is a history of your boost kept somewhere deep inside your DME's logs. However, based on my recent issue with my failed injector, I don't suspect you'll have any issues with service, as long as you remove the Dinan component.
Having a bit of an issue, maybe you can chime in: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436868

Worst comes to worse I will jsut take it to a shop to have them get it working. Should have just been a 1 minute plug and play though. not sure what's causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #19
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

If there is some catastrophic engine failure then BMW might dig deep enough to find out you have a piggy back. Despite what tuning companies might say, there is always a way for the mfg to find out if your car was tuned.

There's a low risk of a stage 1 type tune to cause engine issues but the chances are always going to be higher than 0%. That's the risk with any mod
      11-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #20
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
If there is some catastrophic engine failure then BMW might dig deep enough to find out you have a piggy back. Despite what tuning companies might say, there is always a way for the mfg to find out if your car was tuned.

There's a low risk of a stage 1 type tune to cause engine issues but the chances are always going to be higher than 0%. That's the risk with any mod
I just removed the Dinan Sport and the motor started as normal and I didn't get any issues so I won't have to bring it in to BMW. I am still wondering what is causing this issue though.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 01:18 AM   #21
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

I replied to your other thread...
Appreciate 0