BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Battery Warranty

My 2011 X3's battery need to be replaced. You would think it is ok since it is over 4 years. But no, mine was replaced already last Feb in the middle of dead winter when it didn't start. It was still under warranty back then and it was covered. I had problem starting my truck this past weekend and brought to dealership. Was told I need a battery replacement. But since my last battery was not paid out of my own pocket, I will have to pay for this one.

I just find it extremely odd. Battery only last a year and a half. And doesn't matter what my driving pattern is, it is not under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

You can kill a battery in less than 6 month - either because there is a charging/leak problem or you have "bad" driving patterns.

Best insurance is a ctek-charger (Swedish invention ) that you use once a month - at least during winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
jmxIII
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 M Sport

2011 X3 M Sport

It can drain quickly, mine did by not fully shutting down all accessories once your done for the day. Bought a Trickle Charger a year ago and use it once every week or every other week overnight. Never had a problem since. Battery healthy as the Jays!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
You can kill a battery in less than 6 month - either because there is a charging/leak problem or you have "bad" driving patterns.

Best insurance is a ctek-charger (Swedish invention ) that you use once a month - at least during winter.
I had An Acura MDX for many many years. Didn't drive much but neve had battery issue what-so-ever. I guess BMW is more high maintenance and I ' better start looking after it as I am not paying for a new battery every year
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx3 View Post
It can drain quickly, mine did by not fully shutting down all accessories once your done for the day. Bought a Trickle Charger a year ago and use it once every week or every other week overnight. Never had a problem since. Battery healthy as the Jays!
Which trickle charger do you recommend? I have a NOCO genius boost from Canadian Tire and I do charge it quite often in the winter time.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #6
jmxIII
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 M Sport

I use the BMW labeled Deltran, bought it at the BMW Dealer for double the price compared at Canadian Tire or Walmart. So check out the ones in the Dealer and compare those being sold at other stores.

Last winter I had a message in the cluster saying "recharge battery" twice, that prompted me to try and use a trickle charger and worked well.

I search the forums and a significant number of bimmer heads are saying the system uses power from the battery even while in park mode. Need to shut off all accessories before ignition is turned off and USB/Aux plug ins must be unplugged.

Yeah its a drag but they're still worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo28 View Post
My 2011 X3's battery need to be replaced. You would think it is ok since it is over 4 years. But no, mine was replaced already last Feb in the middle of dead winter when it didn't start. It was still under warranty back then and it was covered. I had problem starting my truck this past weekend and brought to dealership. Was told I need a battery replacement. But since my last battery was not paid out of my own pocket, I will have to pay for this one.

I just find it extremely odd. Battery only last a year and a half. And doesn't matter what my driving pattern is, it is not under warranty?
CTEK-charger is the way to go, purchase on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
JohnAG
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 28i M Sport

This battery issue just convinced me to keep my auto engine shut off disabled all the time since I really believe that not having the alternator charging the battery when the major accessories continues to run will significantly shortens the life of the battery. It may not be the main cause of the issue, but definitely not help it.

I also own a Z06 Corvette, which I hardly drive thus needing a trickle charger. For a daily driver, there should not be a reason to constantly hook up a trickle charger in my book. It is very hard for us who lives in apartment/condo complexes since most parking garages don't have power outlets.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
DrWatt
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Battery Tender

I bought the last battery for my little used 1979 Corvette on 5-12-2007. Yes, the battery is an 8 year old Delco. The car sits in an unheated garage all winter in the Chicago area with a Battery Tender Junior attached. (Cost me less than $30) I spend the winters in Florida. Each year when I come back I am fully expecting to have to replace the battery. I returned home in July 2015, after seven months in Florida. Corvette still has a carburetor, several full pumps on the gas pedal, a turn of the key, a little feathering of the gas pedal, and it started up on the first try.

Spark proof during lead connection, reverse polarity protected and includes a 12-foot output cord and 5-year warranty
• Perfect for charging all 12-volt lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell)
• Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Float Mode) allows for optimization of battery power, without overcharging
• Automatic charge cycle functionality switches to float mode after fully charging the battery
• Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger.

Why would I spend more for the "best"?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
CTEK-charger is the way to go, purchase on Amazon.
Agreed and in Europe the BMW OEM charger is a relabelled CTek.
Appreciate 0