BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #265
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMendoza View Post
Oyster is nice and the factory fitted towbar is brilliant (but expensive)
I have VDC on mine and I have to say I am disapointed, Sport setting is tight and good fun but comfort is not as comfortable as I would like. I have 17In non run flats so I expected a better ride
Have you tried one without VDC? I've not tried VDC but I'm hoping it'll be more like an air suspension ride, but we'll wait an see. Not nice to spend that much on something that isn't deemed to be worth it.
Would be good if the demonstrators came loaded with everything rather than this guessing game.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #266
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akers View Post
mine expected 22nd dec, being built in wk 46 (nov 16-22) looking at the sailing schedule from Charleston SC might be on the boat on the 2nd dec arriving on the 20th.

I see that yours already built, the next shipment is on the 5th nov arriving here on the 22nd.do you have VIN? should be able to track. second link below

http://offices.2wglobal.com/offices/...ppSchedules%2F

https://offices.2wglobal.com/offices...uickSearchPage
How much wrapping paper will that take?
My vin doesn't appear on their site, but the build date was the 14th, so I presume it's on the aptly named Courage (Google news search...) which I think docks in Southampton on the 16th next month, so it should be with me soon.
From the few vehicles I've looked up on the manifest I've only found one other that looks like it's for the UK market.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #267
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
Have you tried one without VDC? I've not tried VDC but I'm hoping it'll be more like an air suspension ride, but we'll wait an see. Not nice to spend that much on something that isn't deemed to be worth it.
Would be good if the demonstrators came loaded with everything rather than this guessing game.
I've gone for VDC this time. I don't think it'll be like air suspension, my expectation is more like the standard suspension with the option to make it like sport suspension. Handling in the soft setting should be closer to sport handling.

Quote:
How much wrapping paper will that take?
My vin doesn't appear on their site, but the build date was the 14th, so I presume it's on the aptly named Courage (Google news search...) which I think docks in Southampton on the 16th next month, so it should be with me soon.
From the few vehicles I've looked up on the manifest I've only found one other that looks like it's for the UK market.
I have a build from about that date too...could it be mine or yours?
      10-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #268
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
How do you look up the ships manifest ?

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #269
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Before ordering my first X3 in 2011, I was given a demonstrator for 3 days and it had VDC. It made a noticeable difference when in sport mode - everything felt "tighter" particularly taking bends but that also meant it was a very firm ride. However the standard ride is perfectly good for me and it felt like the sort of thing I'd rarely use. A bit like flappy paddles on an auto gearbox (had these on an Audi with DSG and never used them - I'd end up using the gear shift just like the sport mode on the X3 auto)

With an infinite budget* I'd take VDC but it's way down my list of desirable options. From the things I've not got ordered I'd be looking at electric seats, the surround view cameras and HUD first then the 3.0D lump but I can appreciate that others will have much more interest in the car ride/handling before the gadgets. Horses for courses.

* but then I wouldn't be ordering an X3 ... with these options you're well into X5 price territory.
      10-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #270
WorksopOWLS
Rep
Drives: BMw X1 / X3 on order

Ordered my X3 at the start of September to replace my S Drive X1. Looking at delivery in Jan.

Can anyone with the new model please tell me if the business Sat Nav does 3d views and spoken street names. I know the 2014 models have got an upgade according to this

f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=983006...

Google nav on a smart phone has these functions so hopefully a 30k plus BMW should have
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #271
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Most of us are still waiting to see one in the flesh, I'm afraid. I wouldn't get too attached to that January date if you ordered in Sept. I placed my order at the start of May and had my slot confirmed 2nd week of May 2014. The delivery date then was, and still is, 12 Jan 2015. Have a quick flick through this thread and you'll find we have members of the forum who ordered a few weeks after that and are looking at March dates. Quite a few seem to have had stealers that initially quoted 3 month lead times knowing full well that it's more like 8-9 months.

It's not all bad - there have been a couple of recent cases where people have dropped lucky. Not sure I've seen any with the business nav in the pics but someone helpful might drop by shortly. Might be an idea to start a separate thread as those that have received cars are probably less likely to read a thread on UK lead times (unless it's schadenfreude).

P.S. that's an interesting doc you referenced. Seems to suggest that I'm going to lose a number of functions because I've not added the voice control option e.g. viewing cover art etc even though I've got the professional nav on order.

Last edited by TuffLittleUnit; 10-30-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #272
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
We have the standard business nav - it definitely does spoken street names, not sure about 3D views as I understand that the 3D view is only available in a few cities and we haven't been anywhere that might be included
      10-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #273
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
How do you look up the ships manifest ?
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680467
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #274
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I've gone for VDC this time. I don't think it'll be like air suspension, my expectation is more like the standard suspension with the option to make it like sport suspension. Handling in the soft setting should be closer to sport handling.

I have a build from about that date too...could it be mine or yours?
basically Increased comfort in normal mode and firmer in sport. It adapts to the environment:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...damper_control

It appears as "S223A Electronic Damper Control (EDC)" on my spec listing.

My car isn't listed:
https://offices.2wglobal.com/offices...uickSearchPage

Enter you vin into the Cargo ID. You can also perform a wildcard search such as "WBAWZ520%"

Last edited by WatchThis!; 10-30-2014 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #275
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Before ordering my first X3 in 2011, I was given a demonstrator for 3 days and it had VDC. It made a noticeable difference when in sport mode - everything felt "tighter" particularly taking bends but that also meant it was a very firm ride. However the standard ride is perfectly good for me and it felt like the sort of thing I'd rarely use. A bit like flappy paddles on an auto gearbox (had these on an Audi with DSG and never used them - I'd end up using the gear shift just like the sport mode on the X3 auto)

With an infinite budget* I'd take VDC but it's way down my list of desirable options. From the things I've not got ordered I'd be looking at electric seats, the surround view cameras and HUD first then the 3.0D lump but I can appreciate that others will have much more interest in the car ride/handling before the gadgets. Horses for courses.

* but then I wouldn't be ordering an X3 ... with these options you're well into X5 price territory.
Was that the standard ride with the VDC demonstrator?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #276
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
We have the standard business nav - it definitely does spoken street names, not sure about 3D views as I understand that the 3D view is only available in a few cities and we haven't been anywhere that might be included
3D is supported - London:
http://d3kcwzl6opl0c7.cloudfront.net...vi%20(609).jpg

Unless they were playing Minecraft that day...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 01:23 AM   #277
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
3D is supported - London:
http://d3kcwzl6opl0c7.cloudfront.net...vi%20(609).jpg

Unless they were playing Minecraft that day...
That looks like the widescreen Pro Nav - I beleive that the OP was asking about the basic Business Nav that's now standard equipment on the LCI
      10-31-2014, 03:17 AM   #278
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
That looks like the widescreen Pro Nav - I beleive that the OP was asking about the basic Business Nav that's now standard equipment on the LCI
Yes - that's the widescreen one - I don't remember finding much info on the standard one,
The widescreen and the luggage net are the the only options I've gone for that I've seen in the flesh
When mine arrives I'll take in across tower bridge and see if I can get a similar photo through the windscreen!

Last edited by WatchThis!; 10-31-2014 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:25 AM   #279
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Was that the standard ride with the VDC demonstrator?
I'm confused by the question - as I recall (it's over 3 years ago!) the VDC had 3 modes, comfort, sport and custom. The first two being presets and the third giving you more granular control.

The car was an SE spec so didn't have any additional sport suspension, performance control or whatever, just the sport mode on the VDC which made things feel tighter in the handling.

There are plenty of more specific threads on here about VDC - this thread is for moaning about UK lead times

Try:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693130
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754435
      10-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #280
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksopOWLS
Ordered my X3 at the start of September to replace my S Drive X1. Looking at delivery in Jan.

Can anyone with the new model please tell me if the business Sat Nav does 3d views and spoken street names. I know the 2014 models have got an upgade according to this

f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=983006...

Google nav on a smart phone has these functions so hopefully a 30k plus BMW should have
I'd agree with tuff little unit about delivery dates. Mine was ordered end of July and delivery was and still is March .. It is due to be built in February

I hope you have hit lucky and the dealer had a spare slot .. If he didn't then don't be to sure of January

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #281
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
I'm confused by the question -
Yes - Should have mentioned 'Normal' rather than 'standard'.
Good links! Would be good if BMW produced some nice glossy animations showing what you get for your money.

To keep this on topic, my X3 was ordered in August, built on the 10th, and hopefully on a boat, so just over three months end to end.
I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time when someone cancelled.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #282
WorksopOWLS
Rep

When I went to another dealer at the end of August they said a slot was available in November. I placed the order a couple of weeks later at another dealer and was told January
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #283
WatchThis!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksopOWLS View Post
When I went to another dealer at the end of August they said a slot was available in November. I placed the order a couple of weeks later at another dealer and was told January
January isn't too bad - is that the ETA for delivery or the build?
Each dealer has their own allocation. I was just lucky that one came up. I would have called a few dealers in the local(ish) area to see if I could have done any better if it was going to be 6 months +
Mine did slip a couple of weeks, and at one point the build was moved into 2015.... Best to keep checking as timings do change!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #284
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition

Smile

Quote:
Yes - that's the widescreen one - I don't remember finding much info on the standard one,
The widescreen and the luggage net are the the only options I've gone for that I've seen in the flesh
When mine arrives I'll take in across tower bridge and see if I can get a similar photo through the windscreen!
It does!
Took this pic this evening from my standard Nav in the LCI. But only in London. Zoomed into Birmingham and Southampton to see other cities but no 3D buildings there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 03:55 AM   #285
WorksopOWLS
Rep

By 3d I meant the map view behind the icon and not just the 2d looking from above view
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:00 AM   #286
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksopOWLS View Post
By 3d I meant the map view behind the icon and not just the 2d looking from above view
If you mean the 'perspective' view? Then yes, it does have that