BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

When I was shopping the X3, BMW still had the throttle delay fault and I was VERY close to passing on the car. That fault was definitely a deal breaker. I found a third party fix for the BMW faulty accelerator so I ordered my 35i.

The KIA was smooth and powerful with its turbo 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
That is true. As much as they'd try to lead you to believe otherwise, I didn't feel like I was treated any better than a purchaser of a mass market product.

I think with the former Audi head of design at the helm of Kia and Hyundai they may have some real contenders in the next generation of vehicles.
Attached Images

06-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I compared the kia sportage with x3 when I was shopping and found it to be much better value than the bimmer.

It also had a better warranty and 30hp less than my 35i.

Mazda only sells the soccer mom version of the cx5 in Canada... If the skyactive diesel sold here I would have considered it.

I don't consider my x3 a premium product and bmw doesn't treat me like a premium brand purchaser... I got the bimmer because it was fun to drive. The mazdas are known for their fun to drive character so enjoy the new wheels
Interesting comparison .... for my 2c worth they are chalk and cheese although I would never see anything wrong in someone choosing a CX5 ... 'horses for courses'.

I think it runs far deeper than just 'better value' or comparing price A and Price B at the time of purchase or a few facts and figures.

For me the underlying technology and engineering in a BMW far exceeds anything Japan has to offer. The comfort, build quality and general feel of the vehicle is far better and I don't just mean sitting in a new one in a show room I mean after 5 years or 100,000 miles .... is the CX still going to feel good ? I'm not sure it would but that for me is why its cheaper.

As for BMW being a premium brand .... certainly in the UK it is considered as such and I can only speak from personal experience but the dealerships, showrooms, service departments and most importantly the customer service is far better than the average volume manufacturer.

As I said just my 2c worth

MS
      06-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Just to add my 2p worth

Over the past few years I've driven a Toyota, Honda Accord, Hyundai Santa Fe, and now the X3.

It appears to me like most things in life you get diminishing gains for your money. A fully loaded Santa Fe 2.2 Auto was £24k, my X3 30d is £37k.
BUT the 2 year % depreciation on the X3 is less then the Santa Fe. So overall over 2 years it's not going to cost me a lot more- HOPEFULLY!
Both the Santa Fe and X3 are good cars. IMHO the X3 is not worth the £13k extra, but if the cost of ownership is only a ~£3k more over 2 years why not have the better quality?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

don't you have to sell the car using that theory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Just to add my 2p worth

Over the past few years I've driven a Toyota, Honda Accord, Hyundai Santa Fe, and now the X3.

It appears to me like most things in life you get diminishing gains for your money. A fully loaded Santa Fe 2.2 Auto was £24k, my X3 30d is £37k.
BUT the 2 year % depreciation on the X3 is less then the Santa Fe. So overall over 2 years it's not going to cost me a lot more- HOPEFULLY!
Both the Santa Fe and X3 are good cars. IMHO the X3 is not worth the £13k extra, but if the cost of ownership is only a ~£3k more over 2 years why not have the better quality?
      06-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
don't you have to sell the car using that theory?
Yes it only works if you change your car on a regular basis. I currently plan to change every 2 years, so depreciation is an important factor when buying a car (for me on finance). My finance payments are £100pm higher on the X3 compared to the Santa Fe, but I estimate that the X3 will be worth quite a bit more then the GFV on the finance. Might have to sell it privately to get the best money.
Saying that I'm really happy with the X3, and couldn't think of what I'd change to other then another X3. Might as well keep it beyond 2 years. I will tell you in October 2014
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #28
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstevens View Post
For me the underlying technology and engineering in a BMW far exceeds anything Japan has to offer.
How about a lexus LFA, does BMW have anything to match that?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #29
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
How about a lexus LFA, does BMW have anything to match that?
Thread title "Mazda CX-5 beats X3"
      06-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #30
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #31
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thread title "Mazda CX-5 beats X3"
Quote "For me the underlying technology and engineering in a BMW far exceeds anything Japan has to offer."

The last time I check, the Lexus LFA is a Japanese car
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Quote "For me the underlying technology and engineering in a BMW far exceeds anything Japan has to offer."

The last time I check, the Lexus LFA is a Japanese car
I wouldn't disagree ..... however the thread is discussing X3's and CX-5's or similar and that was the context of my post
      06-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #33
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't disagree ..... however the thread is discussing X3's and CX-5's or similar and that was the context of my post
I know its semantics, but you said compare to anything the Japanese has to offer, not compare to similar Japanese cars. In my opinion, the Mazda CX5 is not similar to the X3 and should not be compare to it. The X3's competition from Japan is the RX350 and Acura MDX. Those two SUV are more reliable, have more interior space than the X3 and offer more options for the price. Of course, they do not drive as nice as the X3. Which SUV is the best? I guess that depends on one's priority in a SUV.
Appreciate 0