BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

M Package, US getting screwed?

-No Carbon Black color option?
-This is probably a general M Package thing, but whats with the rear bumper? They said they painted it the body color but all they did was move the black color down to where the exhaust is (part than is normally body color on the regular version) and the part that normally is black is now colored, what was the point of that?
-And no Performance tire option, only all season? Why the @#$% would I want all season tires on 19" wheels?

I think most people getting the M Sport and 19" wheels want summer tires and will swap them out in the winter with winter tires/wheels. To not even give us that option is horrible.

and to make it worse, if you get the basic sport package you CAN get performance tires on 19" wheels for $600 extra, I also personally think those wheels look better than the standard 19" on the M Sport. Something is really odd here.

EDIT: I also just went to the UK site, built a M Sport and put the 369M wheels on it, they look COMPLETELY different than the same 369M Wheels the US site shows Hmmm, strange, so I built a 28i and put the sport package on it, which is the 307 wheels, and they are identical to what the M Sport shows with the 369M wheels, so basically what ever idiots run the BMW US site, didn't put the right wheels on the M Package for the builder pictures, guess that would be tough given they only had 1 extra month to put it all together than the Euro sites had...

BMW USA, Get your sh*t together.

Last edited by Mako; 04-06-2011 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

On the US site, the wheels are NOT the 369M wheels. I noticed that as well.
      04-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
twistediron
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 35i M Sport

When I saw the M-sport list for canada and that it had all seasons I didn't like that at all.

talked to my ca and told her it made no sense. end result they will swap for summer's for labor costs only. colour me happy
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Hate to break this to you, but website maintenance and updates aren't very high on BMW xxx's priority list.

xxx=Pick a region.

I mean, disposition on the website said awaiting carrier in SC same day the dealer said "Come and get it!" (West coast of U.S.).

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistediron View Post
When I saw the M-sport list for canada and that it had all seasons I didn't like that at all.

talked to my ca and told her it made no sense. end result they will swap for summer's for labor costs only. colour me happy
What makes no sense is that on the normal sport package its an option to get 19" wheels with summer performance tires, but not an option at all on the M Sport package? you would think especially for people not living in cold weather climates they would want 19" summer tires especially since it has a 40/60 drive split with the M Package.

I am hoping dealers here will also swap out the tires at no cost (even labor) but I doubt it since normally summer tires cost more than all season (at least the good ones that normally BMW uses)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Hate to break this to you, but website maintenance and updates aren't very high on BMW xxx's priority list.

xxx=Pick a region.

I mean, disposition on the website said awaiting carrier in SC same day the dealer said "Come and get it!" (West coast of U.S.).
I have looked at the US, Canadian and UK sites for the X3 build it. There is confusion, for sure, and I think it's best to talk to the dealer and get the SA to show you the actual pages in the SA's sales guide in order to understand what is actually in the MSport package. I don't think one can trust the websites at this time.
      04-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

We feel your pain. The UK website is littered with errors, often doesn't work at all and has lots of outdated or completely missing content. It also looks badly outdated.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Wonder if the BMW crew who do the website coding are the same people who write the code for engine/transmission management, iDrive, ABS, and stability control? Could explain the issues some of us have seen with brake and stability system failure warnings, oil temp. and oil level warnings, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Wonder if the BMW crew who do the website coding are the same people who write the code for engine/transmission management, iDrive, ABS, and stability control? Could explain the issues some of us have seen with brake and stability system failure warnings, oil temp. and oil level warnings, etc.
God help us if there is any overlap!!!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Mako
Rep

Wow, Does BMW NA actually read this forum or something? The pictures on their website are now updated with the correct wheels! granted Carbon Black still isn't an option and they still show Damper control as part of the M Package, which don't get me wrong would be AWESOME if that was really the case, but I don't think that is correct, otherwise the other options from dynamic handling package would not add $1300 to the build. Still strange it doesn't show damper control as part of that package anymore.

With no Damper control, I might have to pass on M Sport, with damper control its a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Lamdog
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3 SMG

OMG! I cannot believe Carbon Black is not one of the color option!

I was really really hoping to have match color with my M3 ...

This really sucks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamdog View Post
OMG! I cannot believe Carbon Black is not one of the color option!

I was really really hoping to have match color with my M3 ...

This really sucks!
Carbon black should b an option. I ordered my x3 m sport with carbon black in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
BMW USA, Get your sh*t together.
Worth repeating.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #14
Lamdog
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton_matthias View Post
Carbon black should b an option. I ordered my x3 m sport with carbon black in Canada.
I really hope you are correct ... But I do believe Canada has different specs than USA. At least that's what I've been reading on this board. But if it does come in carbon black, it'll be in my garage this summer!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I really hope you are correct ... But I do believe Canada has different specs than USA. At least that's what I've been reading on this board. But if it does come in carbon black, it'll be in my garage this summer!
Prettysure it is. All BMW m cars and those with m package have carbon black. I'm so glad I orderedcarbon black cuz I was deciding on deep sea blue too
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The BMW website has always been the worst in the auto business. It is obviously not a priority for them to make it either functional or accurate.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
Lamdog
Rep

Quote:
Prettysure it is. All BMW m cars and those with m package have carbon black. I'm so glad I orderedcarbon black cuz I was deciding on deep sea blue too
I am thinking there is a good possibility that it will not be available. Technically speaking, the M package does not make this an M car. I looked a look at the configurator for the X5 and the 3 series (BMW NA) ... carbon black was not a color option for the M package. It is an option for the X5"M" and the M3 ... for obvious reasons of course. Which makes me believe that perhaps they will be coming with the X3"M", a true M car, and wants to reserve the carbon black for it in the future.

Regardless, I still hope you're right!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
Mako
Rep

Quote:
I am thinking there is a good possibility that it will not be available. Technically speaking, the M package does not make this an M car. I looked a look at the configurator for the X5 and the 3 series (BMW NA) ... carbon black was not a color option for the M package. It is an option for the X5"M" and the M3 ... for obvious reasons of course. Which makes me believe that perhaps they will be coming with the X3"M", a true M car, and wants to reserve the carbon black for it in the future.

Regardless, I still hope you're right!!!
Are you SURE you looked at the configurator on the NA site? because I just went to BMWUSA.com and sure enough you can build a X5 or X6 (both made here) with carbon black, doesn't have to be the full M edition. just need the M Sport package to choose that color...
Appreciate 0