BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Exclamation Please Read; DESPERATE

WATCH THIS VIDEO

I've been experiencing a front end clunk for over a year now; that's two F25's with the same problem. It's on the left side and it happens over patches of washboarded road, expansion joints, potholes, lips, driveways, manhole covers, etc. I can feel it in the steering wheel and below my feet whenever it happens. It's a popping, clunking, knocking noise, not unlike a bunch of marbles shaking around in paint can lined with felt. The sound is replicated when the car is off and the steering wheel is turned back and forth quickly--my guess is that's simulating play in the steering wheel when the car goes over bumps (see video). It sounds more metallic when outside the car but it's dampened (still just as loud) from inside the car.

My dealership doesn't know what to do; they replaced my steering rack and had it in the shop for months last spring. They couldn't fix it so they offered me a new X3 and the problem persists in this one as well. I've been driving it around with this problem trying to ignore the sound but I can hear it no matter how many windows are open and no matter how loud the music is. Please watch the video and tell me if you experience this or know what it might be. I can't stand it anymore. I'm at wit's end.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I don't experience anything like that. The only thing close that I can think of is the hollow, surprising loud sound of a front wheel reacting to a pot hole or similar jarring road surface. That's single "boomp" kind of sound. I've hit small pothole type of things while turning and experience a jarring sensation in the steering, but nothing when turning and the road surface is good.

Have any video/sound of it while you're driving?
      03-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa
I don't experience anything like that. The only thing close that I can think of is the hollow, surprising loud sound of a front wheel reacting to a pot hole or similar jarring road surface. That's single "boomp" kind of sound. I've hit small pothole type of things while turning and experience a jarring sensation in the steering, but nothing when turning and the road surface is good.

Have any video/sound of it while you're driving?
Oh no the sound isn't present when the road surface is good, and it doesn't make the sound because it's turning. It only happens while driving straight over particularly large road imperfections. It's exactly the same as what you're describing.

It could be one, single sound if you want to think of it that way. It's like a quick "blhkhluhuhntk."
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, the pothole thing I think is normal, but unusually loud.

You mentioned that you get a clunk when turning the wheel with the car off. I've only turned the wheel a bit when off, but never noticed that.

Also never noticed any like what I'd expect whatever's going on in that video to sound like.

If it's really mostly the hollow, surprisingly loud compared to the rest of the car, "thunk" associated with a pothole-type jarring, then I think it might be normal. That you've had two cars with the same thing may be important to consider if you're on the fence. The sound I hear is definitely different than other cars. I can't tell you why I concluded it's normal, but that's been my impression. Perhaps because it repeats consistently with either front wheel and doesn't get worse over time and that it only happens with sharp, jarring transitions and no other time.

Dunno if any of that helps. Just trying to rattle of things that seem similar in my experience. I know it can be tough when something seems amiss, but might not be, but don't want to risk continuing on with a messed up car, etc!!
      03-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I've been experiencing a front end clunk
Where exactly is the sound coming from? It's hard to tell in the video - is it inside the steering rack, or out at the hub?

If I get a chance, I'll try to replicate this and see what mine does. I can say that I have noticed a bit of a driveline clunk from time to time, but nothing that really concerns me. Too bad I didn't see this earlier as I was under there today doing a break-in oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
the hollow, surprising loud sound of a front wheel reacting to a pot hole or similar jarring road surface. That's single "boomp" kind of sound.
Yeah, that sounds like normal tire noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

From the video could it be he boot clip is touching one one of the members when its moving. When movement stops cluncking stops. Have you checked the control arms, bushes tie rod ends and rack ends if any for wear or requiring tightening? Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
tnb55
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Automatic

The car is full of noises, drive train, suspension, steering (also when I turn the steering when stationary without electrical assist it makes that clunk noise) its driving me crazy. The local dealer says it is all normal sounds. This is my 22nd car, 5th BMW never did I experience so many noises from a car. I am selling mine the end of the year; don’t enjoy the drive any more.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #8
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Do your tires show asymetric wear pattern? When you turn the steering wheel to produce that sound - does the wheel also turn slightly? Or is there play in the system? And if you man-handle the wheel, can you reproduce that sound? And is it the same when doing a right as when doing a left turn? In anything but a new car I'd say the sound comes from the track rods. I'd go to one of these test station where they test your dampers and have it run through the various frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I haven't noticed anything like that (28i - non-sport), but would like to test it.
How did you trigger it in that video?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

I had something similar with an old 92 Honda Civic. The drive shaft was moving in and out because a retaining pin was forgotten and not installed. This really looks like BMW could resolve this immediately. I know that any such problem would never be tolerated with BMW Europe.
Please let us know when you have the problem resolved, and exactly what it was.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

Yeah, that sounds like normal tire noise.

No, the sound I'm referring to is much louder and seems to come from the top of the suspension to the front left of the driver about dashboard height (when it's the left wheel).
      03-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Bigmanny35
Rep
Drives: Black 2011 35i

sounds like your spring is not seated properly in the strut assembly.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

In the video, I shook the steering wheel violently back and forth with the car off. The wheels DO turn as well. The video was shot from behind the front left wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

Was out washing our '11 2.8i and tried the wheel shake that you describe. Ours sounds just like the video to me. I would say that is normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Drive ours

If you've not done an A:B test yet drive ours which is an almost perfect match for yours and see if you experience the same thing. As we share the same dealer it would at least add to the validity of your findings.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef
If you've not done an A:B test yet drive ours which is an almost perfect match for yours and see if you experience the same thing. As we share the same dealer it would at least add to the validity of your findings.
That sounds like a great idea. I'll PM you later to figure out when we could arrange that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #17
tatoGonzalez
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 316i

did you ever find the solution?

Hi, i have a 2012 X3 and it has the same exactly clunk, please let me know if you ever found the solution. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #18
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

I had the exact same noise. I had both the steering rack AND the steering shaft replaced. Noise gone.
Appreciate 0